Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can solar plus powerwall run the home during extended power outage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You might have a rare but possible problem with 14.19kW of solar, and 2 Powerwalls. The Powerwall has a 5kw power rating (in/out). If you're producing 14.19kW from solar, and you're grid connected, then that excess 4.19kW above the combined Powerwalls rating of 10kw will go out onto the grid. No problem. But, if you're off-grid, and it's a bright sunny day, the Powerwalls will not be able to handle that power and I believe they will shut down in that situation.
They will not adjust frequency to shut down solar production like they do in high state of charge situation. At least that's what I've been told, and kind of makes sense.
Ideally you'd match the solar capacity to the Powerwall capacity.
Also, I did a week-long test of off grid and made a YouTube video on it. (CWNE88 is the channel name)

I’m very curious about this “mismatch” topic... I have a little over 10 kW solar and will be installing a single Powerwall (referral reward). You’re implying that I’d need two PW installed to prevent shutdown when the solar is generating more than 5 kW...or should this discussion be in kWh? Confused.

I’m very curious about this “mismatch” topic... I have a little over 10 kW solar and will be installing a single Powerwall (referral reward). You’re implying that I’d need two PW installed to prevent shutdown when the solar is generating more than 5 kW...or should this discussion be in kWh? Confused.
Yes, the instantaneous power, 5kW, is the limitation. kWh is energy, like how full the Powewall battery is. If you have more than one solar string inverter, then the most logical way is to put one inverter outside the Backup Gateway so that it shuts down with the grid and the other one has max power closer to the Powerwall's charge power limit.

• Helpful
Reactions: rw99

It is not a mismatch, but just conservation of energy and is only a problem in micro-grid situation (power failure with grid disconnected) because power grid is an infinite sink. The instantaneous energy coming out of your solar needs a place to go. If it is greater than the sum of your house load and what the Powerwall can sink, there is no choice but to throttle the source, the solar. But because technology has not yet caught up, on-off control is used instead of throttling.

But if you have a referral award you probably have a Tesla vehicle. In that case you can actually use your car as an adjustable energy sink during a power failure in order to keep your solar system on-line.

It is not a mismatch, but just conservation of energy and is only a problem in micro-grid situation (power failure with grid disconnected) because power grid is an infinite sink. The instantaneous energy coming out of your solar needs a place to go. If it is greater than the sum of your house load and what the Powerwall can sink, there is no choice but to throttle the source, the solar. But because technology has not yet caught up, on-off control is used instead of throttling.

But if you have a referral award you probably have a Tesla vehicle. In that case you can actually use your car as an adjustable energy sink during a power failure in order to keep your solar system on-line.

I have this potential issue with my 8.6kw array and 6.5kw inverters given the 5kw limitation of the Powerwall. What I found is that since I have microinverters the Powerwall is able to signal to some of them to turn off, lowering production to a level that the Powerwall can accept it. Older systems or systems with single inverters may not be able to do this.

• Informative
Reactions: winfield100