Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can someone from Tesla offer suggestions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Huh???
They can't do that.
If you the person who picks up the car has a power of attorney signed by you (and/or your wife) specifically allowing/indicating Tesla to deliver the car to that person, they just have to do it.

I just bought a used inventory X 100D for another country in Europe and had someone else picking up the car for me.
Tesla even sent me a form of their (Tesla) power of attorney and i just filled it and signed it.

The person who is picking up the car for you should also have a copy of your identity card.

Spoke to the sales rep today, and he's working on how to make this happen. Thanks for the confidence to tell him it can and does happen.

I'm looking to ship it with Shiply. Looks like the cost difference as opposed to me flying out is minimal, and with hotels factored in, it's probably nothing.

So to close up this thread, since I was asked to provide a final status, I picked up the car last night. Shiply worked as a transport provider, and my advisor was able to arrange release of the vehicle without my physical presence. All in, it cost a couple of thousand dollars and a few dozen hours. Once figured out and settled though, it was pretty easy.

I'd like to see Tesla offer a standard price to move the vehicle for you, but interestingly, as I was picking up the car, there was another guy in the dealership asking to do the exact same thing from literally the same location. He was told a flat no. It occurs to me that there's a business opportunity waiting for someone here...

Anyway, my wife has her car, and between last night and this morning, enough people have drooled over it that she is mostly over her frustrations and all is well.

• Love
Reactions: MP3Mike
As far as the "is it worth the cost here", we drive about 100000kms a year on each of our cars. About 50% of that is superchargers, but lets say 40000kms to be conservative and because the math is easier. At 400kms per full charge (more in summer, less in winter), that's 100 charges of $20(Canadian) each for a total of $2000/year. The X allows us to tow our RV, so this will rapidly go up, especially in the winter.

I expect to keep the car for 10 years (my Prius prior to my MS has over 800000 kms on it) so $20K in fuel savings, plus $1300 for FSD prior to the price increase. So inventory vs factory did make sense in my case, even though it doesn't in most. And I'm quite happy with the end result, even if most of the frustration was needless and could have easily been avoided.

I have a Model S and finally convinced my wife to order an X.
We put a deposit on an inventory car more than a week ago and financing is complete, so the only remaining step is delivery.
Here's the problem. I'm in Calgary, Alberta and the car is an inventory model in Toronto, Ontario, about 3200 KMs (2000 miles) away.
Just by curiosity, did you have any additional sales taxes?

I was reading recently about a CPO sold in California and sent to Florida.
The new owner had to paid sales taxes to each of those two states...

Note: As a consolation, he only had to paid the 7.5% California taxes
and didn't have to paid the additional county of residence sales taxes which are in most locations 2%.

Last edited:
Just by curiosity, did you have any additional sales taxes?

I was reading recently about a CPO sold in California and sent to Florida.
The new owner had to paid sales taxes to each of those two states...

Note: As a consolation, he only had to paid the 7.5% California taxes
and didn't have to paid the additional county of residence sales taxes which are in most locations 2%.

I didn't. I bought it through the dealership in Alberta, and I'm an Alberta resident so I paid Alberta taxes. Unfortunately, that also means I do not receive EV rebates from Ontario (if there still are any).

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up