Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wants to unmatch VIN since I'm on vacation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

giddyup15

Aug 20, 2023
NJ
Last week on Saturday I placed an order for a new (not demo) Model X from inventory that had a $9500 discount. I've been trying to get my self financing ironed out which is almost there but not ready and still waiting for Tesla to let me know my Model 3 trade-in. Anyway yesterday (a week later) I got a notification to pick delivery date and it only gave me option for the next three days (Mon, Tues, Wed). I texted Tesla and asked for a later deliver date since I'm on vacation soon (leaving Tuesday morning) and the loan and trade-in aren’t complete yet. They texted back saying they can't hold it that long and if I can't take delivery by at least this coming Friday they have to unmatch me and wait to find another VIN. I’m back from vacation in another week on 8/31, I’m so surprised they can’t hold it for another 6 days?!

I don’t know what happens if they unmatch me. If they find another similar car would I still get the $9500 discount or was that only for this VIN? Also I plan to do the FSD transfer from my Model 3 to the new Model X so I have to take delivery by end of Sept before that expires, not sure they will find another match by then.

Everything in the process as been great so far with Tesla but this one interaction with them really frustrated me. Any suggestions on what to do?

I don’t know what happens if they unmatch me. If they find another similar car would I still get the $9500 discount or was that only for this VIN?

Probably not. I have seen more than a couple of threads with people complaining about the exact same thing (losing a discount on an inventory car because they didnt take delivery for some reason)

Everything in the process as been great so far with Tesla but this one interaction with them really frustrated me. Any suggestions on what to do?
Figure out how to take delivery before you leave on vacation, would be my suggestion, keeping in mind that I dont work for Tesla or anything. I am just a regular product owner like many other people here.

Probably not. I have seen more than a couple of threads with people complaining about the exact same thing (losing a discount on an inventory car because they didnt take delivery for some reason)

Figure out how to take delivery before you leave on vacation, would be my suggestion, keeping in mind that I dont work for Tesla or anything. I am just a regular product owner like many other people here.
Good advice, I was told just last week to be prepared to take delivery within a week when buying an inventory car.

Last week on Saturday I placed an order for a new (not demo) Model X from inventory that had a $9500 discount. I've been trying to get my self financing ironed out which is almost there but not ready and still waiting for Tesla to let me know my Model 3 trade-in. Anyway yesterday (a week later) I got a notification to pick delivery date and it only gave me option for the next three days (Mon, Tues, Wed). I texted Tesla and asked for a later deliver date since I'm on vacation soon (leaving Tuesday morning) and the loan and trade-in aren’t complete yet. They texted back saying they can't hold it that long and if I can't take delivery by at least this coming Friday they have to unmatch me and wait to find another VIN. I’m back from vacation in another week on 8/31, I’m so surprised they can’t hold it for another 6 days?!

I don’t know what happens if they unmatch me. If they find another similar car would I still get the $9500 discount or was that only for this VIN? Also I plan to do the FSD transfer from my Model 3 to the new Model X so I have to take delivery by end of Sept before that expires, not sure they will find another match by then.

Just walk.

Last week you should have been looking at the higher prices, so with the discount, it would have been about $10K higher than what you'd have now if you just custom order. The discount on Demo vs New Inventory is absolutely $0 bucks. You'll see the mileage from 200-2000 miles and won't see any price difference, with the same discount applied to one straight out of inventory.

My MVPA was initially about $108K and after the sudden price drop, it came down $20K and that discount was gone, as of 31-Aug-2023. So you may see an updated (via email) purchase agreement in your inbox.

Pricing one out, I can see zero difference between what is in inventory (and I've searched everywhere from 08081 to 95125 with 89002 where I was destined to pick up my MX).

The FSD match is the worst part - I was hoping for the transfer, but like you, they're being very difficult in nailing down the trade-in value. Ultimately, I'm saying "screw it" because even though I was in at $6000, the updated price being $12000 just means that the valuation if I ever do sell (and it's tied to the vehicle) increases the value of the trade-in just that much more. I did take it to a Carmax (95823) and received a 7-day offer for my MS, so there's that.

Yeah, bad experience:

* All-deliverables when you're searching for your vehicle, doesn't mean it'll be delivered. If you're near a location where the inventory sits, great, otherwise, it's a PITA to drive, trade-in and hope there are no quality issues.
* Trade-in process is all wrong. They aren't forthcoming in the "re-marketing" department nor timely. 24-48 hours has now gone 7+ days
* FSD transfer is supposedly tied to the app and new vehicle, but if you have 2-3 in your app that you've put $250 down on, and remove the first, there's zero way to get that button to show up on the new transfer that you'd go with
* FSD is presumed, as part of the trade-in, to go to the new vehicle. This means a lower valuation on your trade-in. If you trade-in in the future, I'd expect your valuation to be higher because it is tied to the vehicle

Here's what the worst part is now:

* You can't buy in a zipcode that you're not going to register in, and you're expected to pick up there. This means no delivery, no fly-by-night to pick it up, and no ability to purchase a vehicle out of State.

NJ is very nice because sales tax on a new EV is $0, purchase & registration is $365 for like 5 years, and though the insurance is a little wonky, it's workable. Much like buying a MBZ/BMW in Europe, driving it for a while and then shipping it to the States, you literally save thousands.

If they unmatch you, you're just back in the queue for another vehicle (if new purchase) or because it's a demo, it's basically gone as the discount is tied to the VIN as others have stated.

So ... just walk. What are you really out besides the FSD transfer? Enjoy your M3 like you were supposed to do when you first got it.

Reactions: morbidz