Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can someone from Tesla offer suggestions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model S and finally convinced my wife to order an X. We put a deposit on an inventory car more than a week ago and financing is complete, so the only remaining step is delivery. Here's the problem. I'm in Calgary, Alberta and the car is an inventory model in Toronto, Ontario, about 3200 KMs (2000 miles) away.

I've been told I need to travel out there to pick it up. That might not be insurmountable normally, but with COVID restrictions, if I go there, I would need 2 weeks of self isolation before I can go to the Tesla store to pick it up. Then as I drive back, I need another 2 weeks of self isolation in Manitoba. I'm fine through Sask, but one back in Alberta, I again need 2 weeks of self isolation before I can return to work.

I have a Tesla deliver/order form listing that I am picking up the vehicle in Calgary.

But my owner adviser says it's wrong, and he seems to be correct. He has further warned me that if I don't get it quickly, Tesla will return my order and sell it to a buyer out there.

I don't want to lose the car, but airfare, 6 weeks off work and a ton of hotel time seems unacceptable. Worse, we were told that we both need to be there to accept delivery.

I can post the Reservation Number if it matters, there's a TON of notes on our file as my wife has been trying to figure out a solution here.

I'd like to have the car delivered as happened with my S, and would be normal with any other dealership. Or alternately, hold the car there until the COVID restrictions are lifted and I can get it under normal circumstances.

I'd love suggestions if anyone has any. If the RN number would help, please feel free to ask.

You probably should not give out your reservation number. This is not an official tesla forum, and if there are any tesla employees here, they probably aren't supposed to offer support in an official capacity on a third party message board.

My personal opinion is that you're much better off waiting for one closer to you to become available. I cannot imagine spending more than a month on a journey to get a car.

The car we bought is brand new, and I want it with FUSC, so future orders won't work anymore.

And yes, I know FUSC shouldn't be a deciding factor, but it is.

I know Tesla doesn't "officially" follow this forum, but they are aware of what's written here, and perhaps can step in. Not sure what else to try.

Kev.

The car we bought is brand new, and I want it with FUSC, so future orders won't work anymore.

And yes, I know FUSC shouldn't be a deciding factor, but it is.

I know Tesla doesn't "officially" follow this forum, but they are aware of what's written here, and perhaps can step in. Not sure what else to try.

Kev.

You could try and get someone (you can trust, obviously) in Toronto to pick up the car for you and drive it somewhere in between, where you could go and maybe avoid quarantine time.
If needed, maybe get someone else to pick up the car from where the Toronto left it and take it to a point where you can avoid quarantine. (and etc...)

Just a thought

You could try and get someone (you can trust, obviously) in Toronto to pick up the car for you and drive it somewhere in between, where you could go and maybe avoid quarantine time.
If needed, maybe get someone else to pick up the car from where the Toronto left it and take it to a point where you can avoid quarantine. (and etc...)

Just a thought

I tried. Tesla won't release the car to anyone other than Nicole and I, even if we sign for it in Calgary. Nicole being my wife... :)

Is the car going to be used for a lot of road trips or why do you care so much whether you have to pay for Supercharging or not? Don't you have inexpensive charging at home for 90% of your charging needs?

I say this because you could get the equivalent vehicle at the same price and take delivery of it at your local service center if you weren't putting so much value on the free Supercharging.

Reactions: jboy210
I tried. Tesla won't release the car to anyone other than Nicole and I, even if we sign for it in Calgary. Nicole being my wife... :)

Huh???
They can't do that.
If you the person who picks up the car has a power of attorney signed by you (and/or your wife) specifically allowing/indicating Tesla to deliver the car to that person, they just have to do it.

I just bought a used inventory X 100D for another country in Europe and had someone else picking up the car for me.
Tesla even sent me a form of their (Tesla) power of attorney and i just filled it and signed it.

The person who is picking up the car for you should also have a copy of your identity card.

Huh???
They can't do that.
If you the person who picks up the car has a power of attorney signed by you (and/or your wife) specifically allowing/indicating Tesla to deliver the car to that person, they just have to do it.

I just bought a used inventory X 100D for another country in Europe and had someone else picking up the car for me.
Tesla even sent me a form of their (Tesla) power of attorney and i just filled it and signed it.

The person who is picking up the car for you should also have a copy of your identity card.

This is good to know. I'll bring it up with our advisor to check higher up.

Is the car going to be used for a lot of road trips or why do you care so much whether you have to pay for Supercharging or not? Don't you have inexpensive charging at home for 90% of your charging needs?

I say this because you could get the equivalent vehicle at the same price and take delivery of it at your local service center if you weren't putting so much value on the free Supercharging.

Agreed. I have free Supercharging for Life. Still charge at home 95% of the time with 5 Supercharger locations within 15 miles, closest less than 4 miles away. It is just too convenient to come home, plug in, and wake up to the car fully charged.

• Love
Reactions: StealthP3D
Agreed. I have free Supercharging for Life. Still charge at home 95% of the time with 5 Supercharger locations within 15 miles, closest less than 4 miles away. It is just too convenient to come home, plug in, and wake up to the car fully charged.

I have one Supercharger directly on my primary route but I never use it, it's too close to home to be of any use. I have free lifetime Supercharging as well and it did save me about $40 for a trip to Montana last summer but the home charging is too convenient and inexpensive for Supercharging to compete, even when it's free.

I fully understand that people who have never owned a Tesla before seem to equate driving a car with needing to find a place to fill up which is why I'm surprised the OP (who is a Tesla owner) cares about whether he has to pay for Supercharging unless the use of this car is constantly crisscrossing the continent.

I have one Supercharger directly on my primary route but I never use it, it's too close to home to be of any use. I have free lifetime Supercharging as well and it did save me about $40 for a trip to Montana last summer but the home charging is too convenient and inexpensive for Supercharging to compete, even when it's free.

I fully understand that people who have never owned a Tesla before seem to equate driving a car with needing to find a place to fill up which is why I'm surprised the OP (who is a Tesla owner) cares about whether he has to pay for Supercharging unless the use of this car is constantly crisscrossing the continent.

The thing is, FUSC has that value for me. I could be wrong about its actual value, but the value I perceive is enough that the car's purchase IS decided by that factor almost entirely. I wasn't looking for a new car, I bought it because otherwise I'll lose FUSC. That and knowing that FSD will go up by another $1000US are the two motivators. Nothing else. There are plenty of threads here discussing how FUSC isn't as valuable as people think. I've read some of them. I'm not looking to start that discussion over again. I'd like to have Tesla ship or hold the car. Either of those outcomes is fine. Or another option that I'm not thinking of. That's the point of this thread.

Has anyone used Shiply? Maybe I can figure out shipping myself if the cost won't be too high. That's assuming Tesla will let it go... Perhaps the likelihood of that goes up if it's shipped from dealership to dealership directly.

The thing is, FUSC has that value for me. I could be wrong about its actual value, but the value I perceive is enough that the car's purchase IS decided by that factor almost entirely. I wasn't looking for a new car, I bought it because otherwise I'll lose FUSC. That and knowing that FSD will go up by another $1000US are the two motivators. Nothing else. There are plenty of threads here discussing how FUSC isn't as valuable as people think. I've read some of them. I'm not looking to start that discussion over again. I'd like to have Tesla ship or hold the car. Either of those outcomes is fine. Or another option that I'm not thinking of. That's the point of this thread.

Has anyone used Shiply? Maybe I can figure out shipping myself if the cost won't be too high. That's assuming Tesla will let it go... Perhaps the likelihood of that goes up if it's shipped from dealership to dealership directly.

You are the first person I have ever told to NOT buy a Tesla that they (you) wanted but if you are buying it solely because it's a special deal with FSD, then don't buy it. Especially without knowing what it's value is in your use case scenario.

That's just silly.

You are the first person I have ever told to NOT buy a Tesla that they (you) wanted but if you are buying it solely because it's a special deal with FSD, then don't buy it. Especially without knowing what it's value is in your use case scenario.

That's just silly.

I already own a Tesla. This is a second. I know the value of FUSC for me. I understand most people might get a few thousand dollars in value out of it at most. I’m not most people and I also know it can’t be used for commercial use (I’m not). You’ll just have to trust that I’m not silly, that an X rather than a Y suits my use case, and that figuring out how to make this work is logical for me. Please stop focusing on that. It’s not helpful.

Reactions: Darren Donovan
I already own a Tesla. This is a second. I know the value of FUSC for me. I understand most people might get a few thousand dollars in value out of it at most. I’m not most people and I also know it can’t be used for commercial use (I’m not). You’ll just have to trust that I’m not silly, that an X rather than a Y suits my use case, and that figuring out how to make this work is logical for me. Please stop focusing on that. It’s not helpful.

OK, fine. It's just surprising to me that someone who knows that taking delivery in a distant city is "worth it" but needs help to determine how to take delivery in a distant city given the current situation.

All of life is a balancing act. Either you know how to make it work or you don't. Something tells me you won't be taking delivery. But I would love to hear you have proved me wrong! Good luck!

OK, fine. It's just surprising to me that someone who knows that taking delivery in a distant city is "worth it" but needs help to determine how to take delivery in a distant city given the current situation.

All of life is a balancing act. Either you know how to make it work or you don't. Something tells me you won't be taking delivery. But I would love to hear you have proved me wrong! Good luck!

My S was also an inventory vehicle, and I bought it from the same location in Ontario in 2017. There was no problem with the delivery of it. Delivery of the X wasn't brought up as being any different until all of the financing and stuff was completed. Like I said, I even have a delivery document from Tesla saying it'll happen here on Tuesday. So I'm frustrated that it isn't going to.

I'll buy it. I just want to do it in the best way. Driving right now is difficult, and my wife if kinda frustrated that they aren't shipping as they did with mine. Happy wife, happy life. Thought I'd try here for advice.