Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can someone please explain the Model 3 ordering process?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't own an S or an X so assuming that the ordering process will be similar to the S/X process, what will be different for orders a Model 3? I'd get an email to configure my 3. Then what?

Do I have a certain length of time to choose?

Does someone who orders the same options jump ahead of me in the production schedule because they hit the submit button first?

Does it give an accurate delivery date (trying to figure out whether AWD will affect the tax credit)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

No one knows the answers to your questions outside Tesla. Elon has mentioned the design studio going live sometime after the final Reveal, but no details as to what you will be able to do with it.

Any other responses you get are all speculation.

I would guess you have all the time in the world to chose once your design studio is "unlocked", but when you confirm your order will affect your queue placement. My thoughts are that they will simply open up the design studio for the people who reserved first (or in batches), and its first come, first served after that.

I doubt they will give you specifics on delivery until your car is actually in production. I am in the same boat as you; I'm preparing for the fact that I may not get the full federal tax credit.

Reactions: melindav
Anxious to see configuration open up for the Model 3 so we will know exactly what is available both in terms of features and colors. Am a little worried that the options for interior and exterior colors will be very limited.
Right now aren't exterior colors for the S are limited to only black, white, silver, red and blue and interior seats to white, black, and very pale tan? Will they reduce those color choices even more for the Model 3? Model 3's on the roads will look fairly the same except for those that have exteriors customized by owners.
(I personally dislike a white or black interior - but not enough to cancel my reservation -and have resigned myself to the fact that a deep rich Carmel color interior will probably not be a configuration option...sigh.)

Since we're all speculating, it'll work like this:
screen-shot-2011-04-16-at-10-55-14-pm.png

or maybe that's some other product, I forget.

Not sure if this helps answer any of the questions, but a corporate staff member told me a couple months ago that when the configurator is available in my region, everyone in the region will be allowed to configure and priority for filling the orders will be given first to current owners then all others in the region based on reservation date. Of course I'd be less than shocked if either that information was wrong or that I am misrepresenting what he told me.

Anxious to see configuration open up for the Model 3 so we will know exactly what is available both in terms of features and colors. Am a little worried that the options for interior and exterior colors will be very limited.
Right now aren't exterior colors for the S are limited to only black, white, silver, red and blue and interior seats to white, black, and very pale tan? Will they reduce those color choices even more for the Model 3? Model 3's on the roads will look fairly the same except for those that have exteriors customized by owners.
(I personally dislike a white or black interior - but not enough to cancel my reservation -and have resigned myself to the fact that a deep rich Carmel color interior will probably not be a configuration option...sigh.)
No rich Carmel likely but am upper class Monterey is possible.

Given that you're in NC I don't think you'll have to worry about getting yours too early.
I was just giving an example. I just wonder if you have to order for immediate production, or if you can order and say you actually want to take delivery later. Part of the reason being, I want one of mine this year, and the other next year, if at all possible.

But, I am hoping it's fairly early. If they really do deliver 80k this year, I'm definitely in that batch. My estimate is somewhere around order #5000-6000 total in the US since I was 20th in line at my store, but yes, being in NC pushes me back quite a bit.

My understanding is that with the S/X once you submit your configuration you are committing to it. You have 3 days to back out but after that it gets added to the production queue. Now you can play around with the configurator as much and as long as you want but once you submit your order (and the 3 days pass) there's no delaying production.

My understanding is that with the S/X once you submit your configuration you are committing to it. You have 3 days to back out but after that it gets added to the production queue. Now you can play around with the configurator as much and as long as you want but once you submit your order (and the 3 days pass) there's no delaying production.
If that's the case, I am hoping they have the dual motor option from the get-go, so I can prioritize in advance. Otherwise I have to sit and stare at the design studio for 6+ months until that option becomes available.

If that's the case, I am hoping they have the dual motor option from the get-go, so I can prioritize in advance. Otherwise I have to sit and stare at the design studio for 6+ months until that option becomes available.

Didn't they have all the seat configuration options for the Model X available from the get go even though some weren't delivered until a year after the Model X launched? Just guessing the time frame. No idea how long the delay actually was.
I'm guessing it will be the same for the Model 3. Hopefully by the time I can order in Germany the AWD version has already launched and I can just get my order in on day one.

I was wondering if the time of order had anything to do with it as well. I was one of the few that waited overnight at my local Tesla store and would probably be among the first 10 people in my state to complete filling out the information for my reservation. Being that I'm not a current Tesla owner, would people that ordered a few hours later to months later still have priority when taking deliveries of their cars?

I delayed my Model S build and delivery by 8 months after placing the order. They may have shortened the length of time you can delay orders by I think you can still delay delivery for several months, if desired.

I was wondering if the time of order had anything to do with it as well. I was one of the few that waited overnight at my local Tesla store and would probably be among the first 10 people in my state to complete filling out the information for my reservation. Being that I'm not a current Tesla owner, would people that ordered a few hours later to months later still have priority when taking deliveries of their cars?
Since no one knows how it will be done there are a few ways it might matter. Assuming they only let batches of people configure then, at least for the first day, they'll probably use time as a factor in when you get invited to configure, which will affect when you get delivery.