Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Tesla UK increase new car cost on existing order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've had half a decade of virtually no inflation, we keep on been told battery prices are falling, Tesla claim they had 20%+ margins on these cars in 2015/16, yet Tesla prices are going up not down. Can someone explain that to me?

Forget all the Elon aspirational boasts about making electric cars for the masses... like everyone else he's all about the profit.

We've had half a decade of virtually no inflation, we keep on been told battery prices are falling, Tesla claim they had 20%+ margins on these cars in 2015/16, yet Tesla prices are going up not down. Can someone explain that to me?

Our early 2018 MX 75D was £88k total with options including EAP, premium interior, 7-seat, white paint (when it was still a paid option). At the same time a 100D was over £100k with the same options.

Good point. The other factor is the dollar exchange rate with other countries. Since I placed my order last November I’ve had 2 price increases. I’m a private buyer and not got limitless amounts of cash. Things are changing fo Tesla with more revivals to their small range of cars and ITN more direct competition they’ll need to watch their prices.

With the X Tesla does seem to have people over a barrel. Whilst we don't need the space either all the time, been able to take the entire extended family on road trips (remember those times??), and just the luxury of powered doors, space, and that windscreen means a Y would be a massive downgrade.

There is literally no other EVs around with the utility and space of the X, but asking £90k as the cheapest option is crazy, £64k was the starting price when we ordered in 2016!!

Hard to know what the OP should do, but a used 100D X would be my choice right now. Falling that get the deposit back and see what else comes to market in the next 6-12 months.

My current reasoning is to keep the order open and change to the refreshed MX with the inflated price less the £2k discount keeping the FSD option. They state 2022 which could well overrun from what I’ve read about 3 and the Y’s production timelines. So I’ll look for a MX 100D or a MS 100D. I don’t like the E-Tron after driving a demo and I’ve driven a MS for a few 100 miles and a MX. The I-Pace is a nice car to drive but a tad too small in the boot for my 2 large hounds. Then at lease when the refreshed MX appease I can look at one and choose to buy it or not.