Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla sales rep told me my order will not be delivered or honored since price increased

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Second post today.
I ordered my MS LR Red in November,
in January I was assigned 2023 Vin, due to medical reasons I put my order on hold, hold finished on January 18th, and waiting for VIN since then

Now tesla started to charge extra for the color option, so today I saw my config on existing inventory on my service center for $2500 higher price, I called them if i can pick it up, and they told me only if pay $2,500 more.

And more: sales rep told me, since I ordered 2023 Tesla, and tesla do not produce 2023 cars anymore, even my order still waiting for VIn assignment, I will never get VIN assigned since that price is not available anymore!!!!!

So if i dont accept to pay the new price I will not get a new car.
Is that correct? if not how come a sales person lie like this?

IIRC from my Tesla order in Nov 2023, Tesla will honor a hold for up to two weeks. If the customer does not remove the hold in that time and complete the order, the order is cancelled and the customer forfeits the reservation money.

Tesla changes policy frequently, but usually to be more strict.

I don't think Tesla cares why the hold was placed, otherwise they would be inundated with 'dog ate contract' and 'my MIL is dying' tales of woe.

I’d assume a lot of people tried to delay their order wanting a 2024 model at 2023 prices. It didn’t work.

Yep

Last edited:
Reactions: Yelobird
Is you order canceled or still open? The Sales guys will lie about anything to get you take delivery sooner. Historically, once previous MY ends, it will move on to the next MY automatically. Unless there are changes that affect the product negatively, then you will have to agree to their new terms before getting a VIN.

Reactions: MP3Mike and morbidz
IIRC from my Tesla order in Nov 2023, Tesla will honor a hold for up to two weeks. If the customer does not remove the hold in that time and complete the order, the order is cancelled and the customer forfeits the reservation money.

Tesla changes policy frequently, but usually to be more strict.

I don't think Tesla cares why the hold was placed, otherwise they would be inundated with 'dog ate contract' and 'my MIL is dying' tales of woe.

Yep
Hold automatically ends
And i still have an open order

So will i get the car?

But red was always extra.

Is it that, or the year model changed? I’d assume a lot of people tried to delay their order wanting a 2024 model at 2023 prices. It didn’t work.
Red was not always extra. I ordered my Ultra Red in Oct 2023 and at the time there was no upcharge for any color. It may have just been a one-quarter only deal like transferring free supercharging over to the new car.

• Informative
Reactions: fholbert
But red was always extra.

Is it that, or the year model changed? I’d assume a lot of people tried to delay their order wanting a 2024 model at 2023 prices. It didn’t work.
Actually there was a brief period where Tesla eliminated the Model S paint upcharge, but it didn't last long IIRC. Red and others colors did come with an upcharge before and after that period.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-01 at 1.26.56 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-01 at 1.26.56 PM.png
    217.5 KB · Views: 29