Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can we move/ add vents??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have experience changing vent locations/ adding/ deleting vents. We are remodeling currently and need to add 3 bathroom vents (current bathroom fans vent to the attic), remove old vents that are currently not connected to anything, as well as change the location to our range hood vent. How hard is it to coordinate something like this? We’re waiting for permit approval, would we need a new design with updated vent locations and start the permitting process over? My project advisor was not very helpful and basically said they can’t give me a quote until tear off. Doesn’t the solar roof quote normally include vent replacements? I’m worried if we wait until install date, the contractors will not want to stray from the original design with the original vent locations.

I dont know if this thread below has anything that can help you, but will link it as its the one that came to mind about "vents"

New vent locations mean different panel layout. If its one - two panels it "might" not be that big a deal. If its more than that, and layout is important to you, I would recommend getting it sorted out before install.

In fact, that is my general advice dealing with Tesla on these projects. If there is something important to you that you really want to make happen, ensure its on your plans or discussed in writing prior to your install, even if that means delaying your install. Thats what I would do, anyway.

Anyone have experience changing vent locations/ adding/ deleting vents. We are remodeling currently and need to add 3 bathroom vents (current bathroom fans vent to the attic), remove old vents that are currently not connected to anything, as well as change the location to our range hood vent. How hard is it to coordinate something like this? We’re waiting for permit approval, would we need a new design with updated vent locations and start the permitting process over? My project advisor was not very helpful and basically said they can’t give me a quote until tear off. Doesn’t the solar roof quote normally include vent replacements? I’m worried if we wait until install date, the contractors will not want to stray from the original design with the original vent locations.
If you are going to change these things do it now. However, if the area you are going through will have active tiles then you may end up with design changes.

Also, I have been told they normally replace/cover vents with a solar roof install. I know they covered all of the PVC vent pipes in our roof with black metal covers. And any vent caps (such as the tankless water heater) they did not replace were painted black to match the roof. Aesthetics are a real big deal to Tesla on a solar roof install.

Last edited:
If you have rooftop vents, I would recommend either accepting the reduced output, or having a plumber relocate them for you.

One solution is to route all the PVC plumbing vents into a single large stack near another obstruction or some can be vented into the attic, so it wont reduce available space as much. A small false chimney can cover several vents if you choose

Hot vents are a little more difficult to relocate but not impossible. As pointed out above, some of the vents can be relocated to an attic wall.

Reactions: buckets0fun
To the extent allowable, I would encourage as much venting to the outside walls as possible, except for hot water, and range vents, where the combination of heat and condensate really dictate short, vertical vents. If it were me, I would try to get them all sorted out before Tesla finalizes their plans, or turns up. Once you have them addressed, finalize the panel layout. We moved a hot water vent to a non-solar roof plane.

Getting your bathroom fans vented to the outside is a big improvement.

In my book, there is nothing good about a roof penetration. To me, they are just leaks waiting to happen.

All the best,

BG