Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you walk into the Calif DMV to get the HOV decals?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In CA its hardly worth the trouble as I believe all HOV programs expire this year and stickers must be replaced with new ones. As for myself...I recently retired so I don't have a rush hour freeway commute anymore (Life is Good!). HOV stickers were fine on my prior 500e but would only detract from the clean look of my Model 3.
Not true. Red stickers extended to Jan 1 2022.

For 2019 and on applicants they are good for the remainder of 2019 plus three years. Hence Jan 1 2023.

So forth and so on.

Interesting. I wonder how this affects your car using Autopilot, or other Teslas using AutoPilot behind you.

There's no interference with Autopilot. Autopilot's radar is millimeter wave (70-77GHz), while police radar is more in the microwave spectrum (33-36GHz, 24GHz, 10GHz). There is no approved police radar operating near Autopilot's range. And Autopilot doesn't use LIDAR.

Note that with LIDAR, the biggest problem is actually interference with police laser jamming, not with the car itself. Jammers recognize and precisely defeat the pulse pattern of specific laser guns, so they won't randomly interfere with something it was not programmed to defeat (including self driving cars and laser adaptive cruise systems). However, such systems will spew random noise that your jammer needs to filter out.

At any rate, without going into the specifics of the systems in use, I know if anyone has attempted to read my speed or not. And for my last 10,000 miles of driving in California, that's not happened at all.

All I'm saying is, don't get too comfy with the "well I see others violating the HOV lane all the time and they seem to be fine" mentality. California ticket prices are set such that all it really takes is 1 or 2 enforcement stings a year to make you pretty miserable and regretful about your choices. I'd much rather the enforcement be more regular and ticket prices be lower, as I think this current way is a great cash grab for law enforcement but does not do much in terms of encouraging the average driver to obey the law.

Reactions: mblakele
Just a WAG:

For regular radar:
- Stealth paint job; stuff that is supposed to be on F117 fighters (Radiation-absorbent material - Wikipedia)
- Electronic radar jammer; illegal

For lidar:
- Laser absorbing material (Veil G5.6 Anti-Laser Stealth Coating FAQs)
- Active laser jammer; although illegal in some states

I thought the speeding tickets handed out on the 15 between Vegas and LA were mostly from highway patrol planes using timing markers? At least that was what I was told... from years ago. Not sure if they really do that. Never was able to spot a plane in the sky.

Yes, there's really nothing you can do to prevent planes or helos from timing your car between the hash marks alongside the road. Although if you vary your speed within that interval, all they can do is get your average MPH over that distance.

- Better resale value; unneed / unwanted sticker if selling out of CA.
- On the oft chance that the HOV program goes away or changes such that the car / owner is not eligible any more
- If/when the HOV program changes (yet again) and a different color sticker is needed
- Esthetics; if sticker needs to be removed for any of the reasons above, it might not leave any marks

And yes, it would be easier for somebody to come along and literally rip off the sticker but I'd say that's a relatively small chance. About the same if someone wanted your license plate renewal sticker (as it's usually recommended to cut them diagonally in both directions; I've never done so).