Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada Right to Repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It refers to the manufacturer's holding a monopoly on repairs to their cars. In jurisdictions with "right to repair" laws the manufacturer can't “punish” owners by voiding warranties in response to third party repairs. Further, the manufacturer cannot refuse to sell parts for repairs as long as they have the parts for their own use. In Massachusetts, Tesla also has to provide the service manuals needed to accomplish repairs. Of course, they are not required to provide this stuff free, and Tesla's charge for service manuals put them out of reach for private owners (well, at least for this private owner!)

No such law in Canada.

I know the owner of a garage that handles certain models of import cars. They can't get access to the computer diagnostic tools in Canada. So they have to pay an American garage - at a premium of course - to supply them with the tools that they can get because of the American "right to repair" laws.

No such law in Canada.

I know the owner of a garage that handles certain models of import cars. They can't get access to the computer diagnostic tools in Canada. So they have to pay an American garage - at a premium of course - to supply them with the tools that they can get because of the American "right to repair" laws.

Thanks Doug and Paul - that's what I thought, and now confirmed. It's a real bummer that Canada doesn't have right to repair legislation.