Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Third Party Battery Replacement/Repair in Ontario

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm always worried that the battery will die out of warranty on the 2017 Model S 100D and I am not thrilled by the idea of paying $26K to Tesla service for a battery replacement. And I'm the type to believe that I should be my own insurer and save money for repairs (not like there are any good 3rd party warranties anyway in Canada).

I'm mainly in Ottawa but do visit Toronto pretty often. I'm curious if there is any store that does battery replacements for Teslas. I know Recell can ship batteries to Canada but I'll have to look for my own ways to actually get the battery replaced in Canada. Wondering if any of you had experience using a third party repair service and how it went (price, experience, etc.).

Thanks!

I'm always worried that the battery will die out of warranty on the 2017 Model S 100D and I am not thrilled by the idea of paying $26K to Tesla service for a battery replacement. And I'm the type to believe that I should be my own insurer and save money for repairs (not like there are any good 3rd party warranties anyway in Canada).

I'm mainly in Ottawa but do visit Toronto pretty often. I'm curious if there is any store that does battery replacements for Teslas. I know Recell can ship batteries to Canada but I'll have to look for my own ways to actually get the battery replaced in Canada. Wondering if any of you had experience using a third party repair service and how it went (price, experience, etc.).

Thanks!
Bumping this up...curious if OP or others have any insight on this?

I found none when I had to replace my S's battery. Shipped it off to @Recell and super satisfied so far.
From their website (Recell), the highest capacity battery is "74kwh" for their RC240+. I don't know if the RC210+ (recommended replacement for P85/85D) would be applicable for my P90D. I guess I'd have to call them to find out.
I don't have any issues at the moment (knock on wood) but my warranty will expire Sept 2024.

I found none when I had to replace my S's battery. Shipped it off to @Recell and super satisfied so far.
What was your symptom when your battery died? Did it just died all of a sudden or were there warning signs before it eventually died (if so, how many days did it take to die after the early warning signs)?

Reason that I asked is because it would be "cheaper" (assuming there are early warning signs) for me to drive to Recell Or Electrified garage Or 057Tech to get that done versus having to trailer/ship the car there.

From their website (Recell), the highest capacity battery is "74kwh" for their RC240+. I don't know if the RC210+ (recommended replacement for P85/85D) would be applicable for my P90D. I guess I'd have to call them to find out.
I don't have any issues at the moment (knock on wood) but my warranty will expire Sept 2024.
Yeah, I dragged my butt on finding some sort of extended warranty or protection plan - my warranty ended Jan 2023. Of course within a few months after, HV battery needed replacing.

What was your symptom when your battery died? Did it just died all of a sudden or were there warning signs before it eventually died (if so, how many days did it take to die after the early warning signs)?

Reason that I asked is because it would be "cheaper" (assuming there are early warning signs) for me to drive to Recell Or Electrified garage Or 057Tech to get that done versus having to trailer/ship the car there.
I went out to run an errand one summer day. Once done and got back into the car to head home, there were all sorts of BMS errors thrown up, particularly one that said battery power was reduced, drive carefully, head to a service centre. Once I got home, the battery showed 0 range, and more urgent BMS messages started coming up. Then the car was completely dead, needing a jumpstarter to provide enough power to get the handles to present, etc. etc.

For me the warning, but drivable, stage to complete collapse happened in the span of 20 minutes. At the time, Recell did mention they had a client from Vancouver that also had their battery done, but were able to drive it across the border to at least save on shipping (shipping across the border is nonsensically more expensive).
What model do you have and how much did it cost to replace the battery?
2014 Model S P85D, I don't remember how much exactly, but I remember it (RC240+) was about half of what Tesla wanted and included return shipping (to Buffalo in my case, so I could drive it across the border myself).

Be careful with 057Tech, there seems to be some speculation on what's going on with that company as the shop in North Carolina is no longer there. Big thread on this here: 057 Technology

My battery warranty ends in Sep 2025 so I've been keeping an eye out on potential places to get my battery replaced if / when it comes to it.

Be careful with 057Tech, there seems to be some speculation on what's going on with that company as the shop in North Carolina is no longer there. Big thread on this here: 057 Technology

My battery warranty ends in Sep 2025 so I've been keeping an eye out on potential places to get my battery replaced if / when it comes to it.
Thank you and I read 13 pages of that thread on 057 Tech and no update from the original owner as to the status of his company.

My original intention was to have 057 Tech perform a Ludicrous upgrade on my vehicle after my battery and motor warranty expires. It seems no one in the US is interested (e.g., no profit, etc. etc.) in doing this upgrade.

Yeah, I dragged my butt on finding some sort of extended warranty or protection plan - my warranty ended Jan 2023. Of course within a few months after, HV battery needed replacing.

I went out to run an errand one summer day. Once done and got back into the car to head home, there were all sorts of BMS errors thrown up, particularly one that said battery power was reduced, drive carefully, head to a service centre. Once I got home, the battery showed 0 range, and more urgent BMS messages started coming up. Then the car was completely dead, needing a jumpstarter to provide enough power to get the handles to present, etc. etc.

For me the warning, but drivable, stage to complete collapse happened in the span of 20 minutes. At the time, Recell did mention they had a client from Vancouver that also had their battery done, but were able to drive it across the border to at least save on shipping (shipping across the border is nonsensically more expensive).

2014 Model S P85D, I don't remember how much exactly, but I remember it (RC240+) was about half of what Tesla wanted and included return shipping (to Buffalo in my case, so I could drive it across the border myself).
Thank you for letting us know about the symptoms and eventual demise. It doesn't seem like I have time to prepare to drive my car (bought and registered in Ontario) from Cambridge, ON (wife's house) back to Buffalo once I see those warning.

(sigh)....Living in Canada doesn't seem to have much of an advantage from selecting vehicle repair facilities, low auto insurance , etc. as in the US...