Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian CHAdeMO charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered the Chademo adapter the first day that it was announced that the Model 3 would support it. I recently downloaded the 2019.24.4 firmware package to my car to enable it.

This is at the Electric Circuit (FLO) charger at the Terry Fox Park n Ride in Kanata. The adapter worked flawlessly. I started at about 67% state of charge (SOC) with the charger putting out 46 kw which tapered to about 32 kw at 90% SOC. Very happy with the results. Always good to have as many options as possible for fast charging! It was a very hot day but the adapter did not get very warm.View attachment 434971
Bought the Chademo adapter for my New Brunswick trip. Tried charging on my drive down, both at Circuit Électrique and NB Power chargers. Both used the Yazaki silver gun with yellow button but it would not lock. Charger fails with gun lock error. Any advice? It looks like it worked for you...

Bought the Chademo adapter for my New Brunswick trip. Tried charging on my drive down, both at Circuit Électrique and NB Power chargers. Both used the Yazaki silver gun with yellow button but it would not lock. Charger fails with gun lock error. Any advice? It looks like it worked for you...
Hi, I had no problems with the adapter at both of the Chademo stalls here at the Park N' Ride. I don't know if this might be the issue, but both times I followed the instructions that came with the adapter, namely to attach the adapter to the Chademo plug at the station (the adapter plugged easily into the Chademo plug) and then plug into my M3.

Followed the instructions but that’s not the issue. The charging works until the silver “gun” falls out or never begins because of “gun lock problem”. Basically when you insert the gun into the adapter, it should lock in place until you push the yellow button. In my case the gun doesn’t lock and you can pull it out easily. The gun goes all they way in and there are no gaps. My assessment was the plastic notch, which receives the metal latch, was not right. Being stuck I had no choice to “mod” the notch. So far no luck and on a $700 part. I’ll find out tomorrow if my mod works or I got a very expensive paper weight.

Reactions: GarthG
I plan to use my CHAdeMO adaptor at a BCHydro charger next week on a trip to northern Vancouver Island. I decided to try it out today at a BCHydro charger to make sure it worked.

The physical connections worked. I connected the adaptor to the CHAdeMO connector and the adaptor to the car. I couldn’t get the charger to give a charge. I phoned BCHydro and mucked about a bit. Then BCHydro said they would initiate a charging session from their end. Bingo, it worked.

I only ran it for a few minutes because someone arrived who needed to charge, whereas I was only testing. I’ll try again next week and report.

I plan to use my CHAdeMO adaptor at a BCHydro charger next week on a trip to northern Vancouver Island. I decided to try it out today at a BCHydro charger to make sure it worked.

The physical connections worked. I connected the adaptor to the CHAdeMO connector and the adaptor to the car. I couldn’t get the charger to give a charge. I phoned BCHydro and mucked about a bit. Then BCHydro said they would initiate a charging session from their end. Bingo, it worked.

I only ran it for a few minutes because someone arrived who needed to charge, whereas I was only testing. I’ll try again next week and report.
Did you try using the BC Hydro EV app or RFID. ?

Did you try using the BC Hydro EV app or RFID. ?

The BCHydro app says that it only works with some locations but that they will be expanding it to work on the sites that are Greenlots sites.

The EVSE asked me to use the Greenlots card or Greenlots app, so I was using the app. The EVSE was recognizing the app but denying service.

Maybe next time I’ll try the BCHydro app or try it if the Greenlots app doesn’t do the trick.

Reactions: bolero
The BCHydro app says that it only works with some locations but that they will be expanding it to work on the sites that are Greenlots sites.

The EVSE asked me to use the Greenlots card or Greenlots app, so I was using the app. The EVSE was recognizing the app but denying service.

Maybe next time I’ll try the BCHydro app or try it if the Greenlots app doesn’t do the trick.

Good to know. thanks . I end up getting all the RFID for BC Hydro, Greenlots, Flo and Chargepoint. Just in case the network is down you can still initiate charging. Eventually, BC Hydro will integrate all the charge station into their network, I believe by the end of summer.

After removing the bottom plastic of the locking notch and shaping it, the charger no longer stops with a lock problem. I was able to charge and get out of a bind. However, prior to charging, the gun can still be pulled out of the adapter without pressing the yellow button. I’m not stupid enough to try it while charging at 50 kW but I definitely think this is the case. Serious safety issue so hopefully Tesla will replace under warranty.

Reactions: SammichLover
Here’s a pic of the latch and it connected to the adapter.
CD982BE5-74FC-4AB8-B3D2-684939F98168.jpeg 42826C50-4EF7-4366-8379-41129D046C4C.jpeg

After removing the bottom plastic of the locking notch and shaping it, the charger no longer stops with a lock problem. I was able to charge and get out of a bind. However, prior to charging, the gun can still be pulled out of the adapter without pressing the yellow button. I’m not stupid enough to try it while charging at 50 kW but I definitely think this is the case. Serious safety issue so hopefully Tesla will replace under warranty.
What did you do to the locking notch on the adapter? Make it deeper?

Finally got around to testing the CHAdeMO on my SR+ and actually needing a charge was down to 15% at DIX-30 Shopping plaza in Brossard, Quebec. Nice cool underground parking out of the sun. There were two BRCC FAST Chargers available. I have had an account with Circuit Electric since my Chevy Volt days for their L2 chargers. Everything worked great. Plugged in and went up above for a bite to eat for an hour. When I got back their was another Tesla Model 3 parked in the waiting spot next to me with no one there. There are Supercharger a few blocks away in the other underground parking. Maybe the other M3 owner wanted to test like me.

Park name: BRCC - Quartier Dix30
Station name: CEC-00117
Session start date: 2019-08-10 14:23:24
Session end date: 2019-08-10 15:25:40
Energy used: 34.362 kWh
Session duration: 1h 02m
Session cost: $10.37 (CAD)
TPS/GST 5% $0.52 (CAD)
TVQ/QST 9.975% $1.04 (CAD)
Total cost: $11.93 (CAD)

Reactions: bolero and MarcoRP
I bought a CHAdeMO adaptor last fall. The first time I tried to use it was unsuccessful but I had sufficient power to reach a Supercharger. I took the adaptor to the Lawrence Avenue Tesla location for testing and they updated the firmware and tested it successfully. I took it to the free charger in Markham and confirmed it worked.

I have used CHAdeMO 4 times in the last month to charge my S100D. The first location was FLO in London at the Canadian Tire gas station which averaged 39.73 kW over 1 hour and 21 minutes and cost $0.446 per kWh. The second session was at the same location and averaged 41.33 kW over 28 minutes and cost $0.423 per kWh. The battery state of charge was in the mid-80s at the end of the first session so battery taper was coming into effect.

The third session was at the FLO charger in Peterborough at the Lansdowne Mall. The charger averaged 41.75 kW over 41 minutes and cost $0.317 per kWh. The starting battery state was approximately 50% and 28.526 kW were added.

The fourth session was at the ‘myEVroute’ charger in Lindsay located at the Scotia Bank. The average power was 22.17 kW over 1 hour and 9 minutes. The cost was $0.524 per kWh. The charger had a sign showing the unit was limited to a maximum 30 kW output.

All the data presented above was calculated from the billing receipts. The numbers seem higher than I remember from the car’s display but the power delivered by the DCFC is greater than the actual charge that goes into the battery. The charge sessions all happened on hot days so the battery cooling system was active and consuming power. The calculated effective cost per kWh does not include HST.

I have seen posts that suggest the car will charge more slowly at a Supercharger after charging from a non-Tesla DCFC. When I charged at Owen Sound after the FLO sessions I did experience lower charge rates than I might normally expect – 80 kW to 100 kW range from memory. The next charge was from the Fairview Mall Supercharger where the power hit around 139 kW then declined. I only made a short test charge because I wasn’t far from home and prefer to use the home unit that delivers 11 kW and treats the battery more gently. I repeated the test after using the myEVroute charger and obtained 138 kW on the Fairview charger so I don’t think charging on a DCFC affects subsequent charge rates on a Supercharger.

If I plan a route that requires using the CHAdeMO adaptor I will use 40kW as the power available to calculate charging time duration unless the site information from Plugshare or Chargehub shows a 30 kW limit.

Complexe Desjardins - 4 new Circuit Électrique fast chargers!

They are located at street level (3), whereas the 7 j1772 chargers are located on Level P1. This level is basically where there are the taxi drop offs, the valets for the DoubleTree Hotel, and now 4 spots for EVs.

NOTE: the screens on the chargers already have writing, so they might actually be operational!
9274D73D-C0B1-4C2E-AFA7-00560509ABE0.jpeg
8F813FA8-C8E3-428A-BF56-7C90DC856DCD.jpeg

Reactions: lukex4
I used my adaptor at the BC Hydro EVSE at the Campbell River (Vancouver Island) Community Centre today. On my initial effort, I didn't press the CHAdeMo connector and the adaptor together well enough. On my second try I gave it a bit of an extra effort and it connected just fine.

It is a 50 A station. I started at about 30% charge and was getting 41 kW, 305 km/hr charging at the beginning.

I unplugged at 90% charge and moved my Model 3. When I returned to my car to drive away there was a Tesla Model X charging.

No fee for BC Hydro charging.

Reactions: bolero
As I mentioned up thread, I had to watch my charging session so someone didn’t mess with the adapter/cable and seriously get electrocuted. Pull out a 120V power cord from an outlet and you’ll get a blue spark. That’s only 1800 Watts AC... DCFC uses 50,000 Watts DC which will arc to the closest ground, which is you holding the adapter/cable.

Emailed Tesla Saturday night, they replied Sunday morning first thing. Tesla will immediately reship a new one and emailed me prepaid shipping label for the defective one. Got home OK and just dropped it off at FedEx and the reship should be processed 3-5 days (since the email).

As I expected the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter is now SOLD OUT. I was expecting this to happen sooner when the Model 3 firmware was released that made it finally work. I now think the cause of the sell out is this

"Tesla Model 3 gets stellar reviews after initial test drives in Japan" Aug. 16, 2019

Tesla Model 3 gets stellar reviews after initial test drives in Japan

Japanese Tesla Model 3 customers stocking up for their future deliveries!

Last edited:
Reactions: SammichLover