Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian CHAdeMO charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good news for fast chargers around Canada today! To start, in Quebec there are now 2 DCFCs in the final process before officially opening at Rôtisserie St-Hubert in LaSalle on Newman Blvd. This is in addition to a level 2 charger which has been at this restaurant since 2015. This is the second new site discovered around the Greater Montreal after two other fast chargers were discovered at a Shell station in Boisbriand in late June. (Photos from PlugShare)
AD03F24B-0931-487C-BEFD-81B59CFD045E.jpeg
077941C3-5B4C-4365-8C20-8460837FE8A3.jpeg

Now for the other news: the site of the Petro Canada BTC fast charger in Napanee broke ground yesterday, and the pedestals were in place as of yesterday. Also some news for Regina. Apparently, the Petro fast charger in Regina has broken ground, per a pin on PlugShare added yesterday. This new fast charger (if it is actually under construction) is located right next to the Regina East SmartCentres where the Regina Supercharger is supposed to be, per the pin on supercharge.info. (Photos from PlugShare)
41ECAADA-9135-4D26-B14E-2E59356C9F5B.jpeg
15B36FF0-A5BF-4680-B799-03A4B109AA7D.jpeg

Also some news for Regina. Apparently, the Petro fast charger in Regina has broken ground, per a pin on PlugShare added yesterday. This new fast charger (if it is actually under construction) is located right next to the Regina East SmartCentres where the Regina Supercharger is supposed to be, per the pin on supercharge.info. (Photos from PlugShare)
41ecaada-9135-4d26-b14e-2e59356c9f5b-jpeg.430655
Seems like another reason to doubt that supercharge.info pin.

The Regina Supercharger thread here has a picture from last week of the area flagged for utilities location. Page 2, photos from Thursday. Considering they are pouring bases in Moose Jaw and Maple Creek, makes sense.

But then, everyone is installing charges "sometime in the next few months" and have been for years.

The Regina Supercharger thread here has a picture from last week of the area flagged for utilities location. Page 2, photos from Thursday. Considering they are pouring bases in Moose Jaw and Maple Creek, makes sense.
I got the sense by "located right next to the Regina East SmartCentres" those could have been ancillary to the PetroCan work. But looking at the photos again the flags in that photo are on the other side of the "block" from the PetroCan.

P.S. The flagging extends well past where needed if they were putting in SC stalls in the parking lot north of the Walmart. From the photo the flags go past the East entrance into the lot and at least 1/2 way down the Walmart building. It could be 811 going with CYA overkill, I suppose, but seems odd.

Those aren’t redundant, that’s the kind of spacing that’s required in the climate for winter.

Jasper to Edmonton CCS/Chademo is listed as planned, and Battleford Canadian Tire is listed, too I think? But yeah, those are going to be late for long distance charging (likely usage expectations).
I mean there are superchargers at those locations... and yeah, I get that usage is likely low, but I'm seeing more and more EV's filling up the J1772 and Chademo stations in Edmonton so hope someone looks at the yellowhead

I got the sense by "located right next to the Regina East SmartCentres" those could have been ancillary to the PetroCan work. But looking at the photos again the flags in that photo are on the other side of the "block" from the PetroCan.

P.S. The flagging extends well past where needed if they were putting in SC stalls in the parking lot north of the Walmart. From the photo the flags go past the East entrance into the lot and at least 1/2 way down the Walmart building. It could be 811 going with CYA overkill, I suppose, but seems odd.
I spoke to the construction crew working at the East Regina Walmart. They had no idea what a supercharger was and mentioned they were only doing fiberoptic upgrades underground.

I was also at the East Regina PetroCanada location and they are getting things started. The foreman mentioned they expect to be completed in one month approximately

If the Canadian government is serious about EV adoption, they need to sit down with the provinces at the next first ministers meeting and suggest that all jurisdictions give EV charge stations an exemption from the regulation that prevents per kWh billing AND that EV charging stations are excluded from the peak demand surcharge.
Sadly this government is not serious about anything except the latest polling numbers.

Reactions: Vawlkus and GarthG
That’s not the prime problem here, your plan requires Provincial governments to not only care enough into action but also not be culturally abhorred by BEVs.
Yes, sadly this too is also the case, though with some strong leadership at the federal level they could be coaxed into action. Of course given how long they've fought among themselves over things so much easier to solve than this, I'll not hold my breath, I will, however, continue to make it easier to breathe one electric km at a time.
But speaking of Provincial politics, I have in fact, had the Minister of Environment for NB out for a drive in the X along with the Minister of Education (who drives a government Volt). It was a lively chat.

Just got my first update today to 2019.24.4 from 2019.15.103 . I'll test my Chademo adaptor next time..
I finally tested it. Everything works ok for me. These are Greenlots using BCHydro DCFC currently FREE. I don't have a RFID or account, I nice guy activated it for me using his card. They have a lot of DCFC station unit still in the box right behind the do not enter sign. I guessed they will install these somewhere else.

Attachments

• greenlots.jpg
    greenlots.jpg
    453.2 KB · Views: 69
  • chademo1.jpg
    chademo1.jpg
    511.4 KB · Views: 70
I ordered the Chademo adapter the first day that it was announced that the Model 3 would support it. I recently downloaded the 2019.24.4 firmware package to my car to enable it.

This is at the Electric Circuit (FLO) charger at the Terry Fox Park n Ride in Kanata. The adapter worked flawlessly. I started at about 67% state of charge (SOC) with the charger putting out 46 kw which tapered to about 32 kw at 90% SOC. Very happy with the results. Always good to have as many options as possible for fast charging! It was a very hot day but the adapter did not get very warm.
67782261_1218763514971732_4388340529260134400_n.jpg

Went on a search for charging stations yesterday. Started at the Petro-Canada in Boisbriand, where there are 2 soon-to-be DC Fast charging stations. However, I was told by staff that they hadn’t been contacted by Petro for a while, but that the installation would start in the fall.

Continued on towards a Shell station in Blainville which has 2 Circuit Électrique fast chargers under construction. On the way there I discovered what I thought to be the Boisbriand Supercharger. However, on closer observation, it was simply an expansion of the Daigle IGA to add a Rachelle-Béry :( ...

Anyways, the Shell station which is hosting the two Circuit Électrique chargers is part of a rest stop which has yet to open along with a Tim Hortons and a Super-Soir dépanneur.

Next stop was a Harley-Davidson dealer in Laval. As I’ve been seeing recently, lots of Harley dealers have been installing 24 kW fast charging stations. This one was no different. Here, there is one 24kW Delta Fast charger with a CCS connector and a CHAdeMO connector. I scanned a ChargePoint card. The machine told me the identification failed, but I was still able to unlock both charge ports, but I can’t say if it works: I don’t have a CHAdeMO adapter.

Next DCFC find was at Occasions Grenier in Terrebonne, where there is a 24kW (CCS ONLY) charger. This is a Chevy-branded Delta charger at their used car branch, and it is probably free to use. For the moment, there are also 6 J1772 ports at the official dealer and the Mascouche Supercharger, less than a km away.

Last stop: IGA Extra in Charlemagne (will post details in that thread soon. link)
FDBFB3B9-3D90-406F-B651-437E69AB2C8E.jpeg
15B2D663-4FA3-42C0-BD2B-50D2CDD5A0CB.jpeg
FC8FB4D1-2887-41F9-8098-19ACDAE9E946.jpeg
9C93192B-FF16-46E8-A8A8-69D56E08B4AB.jpeg
E8BE447E-9609-420C-B8DE-38E799C6F03C.jpeg