Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Pricing and Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny, I was told exactly the same timeframe at the Seattle event. I suspect that's just their default answer. I was honestly disappointed with how unknowledgeable the staff were at the event - one of the many incorrect things they tried to tell me was that there would be no price difference between the US & Canada 'just like the Roadster'...

LOL I wish!!!

How do we know there will be a price difference?
I'm not too concerned with the price anyway, what bugs me is that Nova Scotia doesn't have any EV Incentives, so I won't be getting an $8k rebate like the folks in Ontario. The East coast always gets the shaft on everything. I doubt Tesla has even considered expanding the supercharger network out this way. I swear to god people think Canada ends in Quebec.

How do we know there will be a price difference?

Probably just the fact that almost every company in recorded history tends to increase the price for Canada (and in many cases increase it far more than is required merely to account for exchange and the extra cost of crossing the border).

I'm not too concerned with the price anyway, what bugs me is that Nova Scotia doesn't have any EV Incentives, so I won't be getting an $8k rebate like the folks in Ontario. The East coast always gets the shaft on everything.

I contacted a number of people in the NS government about the incentives and most of them seemed unaware and/or uninterested in pursuing incentives.

I was surprised to see a new office building in Dartmouth (Burnside area) with a free EV charger for two cars in the parking lot the other day. Sadly it's not my office building but it was nice to see -- at least someone out there is planning for the future.

Last edited:
Also, us Roadster owners suffered a significant uplift. I would have to check my records, but is was at least 15% higher than an equivalently configured US car of the same vintage.

I don't have my paper work handy, but it strikes me that it was closer to 25% more for the same car (sport). The US dollar and Canadian dollar were basically at par when I bought. They need to fix this with the Model S.

I was surprised to see a new office building in Dartmouth (Burnside area) with a free EV charger for two cars in the parking lot the other day. Sadly it's not my office building but it was nice to see -- at least someone out there is planning for the future.

That is rather nice to see free EV chargers, even if it's a single case. As I've stated in previous posts I don't plan on buying until 2014, so I'm hoping by then some incentives will be in the works, or at least on the way. Maybe if enough of us on the East coast band together we can get the government to implement incentives. In fact I think I'll go ahead and send Darrel Dexter an email requesting incentives. I know it's a long shot but if I'm not the only one emailing him about it than we'd stand a better chance.

As for the price increase, a 25% price increase on an $89k car (base model 85kw with pano roof, tech package, suspension, parcel shelf, paint armor and twin chargers + garage charger) will make my car come to a price of $111250. A 15% increase will make it a $102k car.

Might be cheaper to just head down to California and purchase strait from the manufacturing plant with USD and drive it back.

As for the price increase, a 25% price increase on an $89k car (base model 85kw with pano roof, tech package, suspension, parcel shelf, paint armor and twin chargers + garage charger) will make my car come to a price of $111250. A 15% increase will make it a $102k car.

Might be cheaper to just head down to California and purchase strait from the manufacturing plant with USD and drive it back.

This would put me out of the game. It's an increase over threshold that I just couldn't justify for a model x. I would certainly consider purchasing in US though. I have read that this can be a very difficult process. I wonder what Tesla's policy will be regarding selling to Canadians in the US.

This isn't fair. Our dollar is worth just as much as the American so why are we going to have to pay so much more? Combined with having much higher taxes than Americans and only 3 provinces have EV incentives, this is crazy.

And for the record, the figures I stated above were calculated after I added on the $7500 EV incentive that Tesla likes to deduct from their prices.

@Mogwai: because Transport Canada imposes many costs on a car company to certify the car for sale in Canada, and Tesla quite reasonably is spreading that cost out among Canadian purchasers. Canada also assesses import tariffs, which again are being passed along to you.

Further, double-check against the fully taxed U.S. cost; because each state charges a different sales tax, the quoted US price will have state sales taxes tacked on top (except in a few states where EVs aren't taxed). I'm not sure whether Tesla is quoting a pre- or post-tax rate in Canada.

@Mogwai: because Transport Canada imposes many costs on a car company to certify the car for sale in Canada, and Tesla quite reasonably is spreading that cost out among Canadian purchasers. Canada also assesses import tariffs, which again are being passed along to you.

Further, double-check against the fully taxed U.S. cost; because each state charges a different sales tax, the quoted US price will have state sales taxes tacked on top (except in a few states where EVs aren't taxed). I'm not sure whether Tesla is quoting a pre- or post-tax rate in Canada.

The prices I calculated did not include US tax. I was reading up on purchasing cars in the US and bringing them back to Canada, and from what I read, most people agree that the amount of money you save is worth the hassle. I understand that Tesla is making us pay for Transport Canadas costs, import tariffs and US tax, but I can't help but feel they will be adding money on top of all those costs so they are making profits for their trouble.

I guess I'm just a little bummed as buying this car in 2 years is starting to look a little far fetched. I even tried building a 60kw model (with the tech pkg, suspension, parcel shelf, paint armor, wallcharger +twin chargers) and it still came out to a $101k purchase (if price increased by 25%). That's $31k up from a $79k car. And I'm really not interested in buying a car that uses fuel anymore. I might be over exaggerating but Tesla pretty much rendered ICE cars obsolete. If I go out and by a VW TDI, I'll get great fuel economy, but in 10 years or so I can't see too many ICE cars on the road, let alone having decent resell value.

Maybe I'll just have to get a $20k autoloan to pay for the rest of the tesla for whatever I save up for it. It would be areal bummer though.

Robert, Tesla is quoting a before-tax price in Canada. The government many years ago eliminated "hidden" taxes like the old manufacturer's sales tax, and replace it with a value-added tax called GST (or HST in provinces that have harmonized their taxes with the federal government).

If the vehicle doesn't qualify as made in North America under NAFTA rules, then a 6.1% import duty will apply. That will be "hidden" in the price except I'm sure Tesla will tell you if asked (as they did for the Roadster).

Yes there is a cost associated with homologation; however, Canadian standards are pretty close to the US standards. The car already has daytime running lights; they just have to disable the touchscreen switch so you can't turn them off. It already has pedestrian-friendly bumpers. There could possibly be some other "non-legal" differences due to things like 3G access (different service providers here). But it's questionable in my mind how you account for homologation; it's a cost-of-doing-business thing, like designing the car in the first place.

The other thing they might do is charge more than the US dollar exchange rate, as a hedge against exchange movements - like they did for the Roadster.

Of course if they overdo the price, they will end up not selling very many vehicles.

Doug_G I just read in a CBC news post (article here) that the Canadian price of the Roadster is $125k (I'm assuming that's base model). I read somewhere else that the base price in America was $109k, so an increase of $16k on a $109k car is no where near the 25% mark I've been calculating. I used that figure because someone else in this thread said that was the price increase on the Roadster.

Maybe I'm just making a mountain out of a molehill. Tesla isn't stupid either they must know if they charge us $130k for a car you can get for $100k south of the border, people are going to reconsider their purchase.

Doug_G I just read in a CBC news post (article here) that the Canadian price of the Roadster is $125k (I'm assuming that's base model). I read somewhere else that the base price in America was $109k, so an increase of $16k on a $109k car is no where near the 25% mark I've been calculating. I used that figure because someone else in this thread said that was the price increase on the Roadster.

Maybe I'm just making a mountain out of a molehill. Tesla isn't stupid either they must know if they charge us $130k for a car you can get for $100k south of the border, people are going to reconsider their purchase.

Yes, the increase was 15%. IMHO they were excessively conservative with the exchange rate, which was higher in the first place, plus the Roadster was hit with the 6.1% import duty.

These days exchange rates float around parity +/- 2%. If the markup on the Model S is anywhere near that high I will be rather displeased.

From 2012/07/25 Q2 2012 QA Conf Call notes

["How are reservations converting into final order numbers?"]
Elon:
12,200 reservations
George:
~1,000 fully configured, finalized, locked in
Invited Sig in U.S. only.
About 10 days ago, first group of general production U.S.
This week, next traunch of general production U.S.
Then Canada Sig, Canada general production.

Sounds like they are going to build a couple of "traunches" of US general production before any Canadian cars, including Signature. We've been pushed back, I think. Suggests maybe our emails are a couple of weeks out.

@Doug_G -- I think one of the other threads on the forum has it right: homologation is the obstacle. I think once that is addressed, they'll immediately jump to a traunch for the 146 Canadian sigs.