Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canceled 2021 S Model for good reason

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure they're recycling it as they do the plastics in the ocean.

Without oil or gas, there would be no machinery to mine the lithium, or recycle it. :)

Pretty much everything, and anything is a byproduct of oil/gas.

What is very concerning is how so many are so easily fooled, by so few with so very little. I'm guessing that the poster of this remarkably misleading video is either in the fossil fuel industry, or just not too well informed (to put it politely).

It's not so much the production of oil and gas that's terrible (although, frankly, it is), but the larger issue: BURNING of oil and gas that dumps massive amounts of GHG's into the atmosphere and oceans.

We can only hope that more and more people learn about chemistry and physics and apply basic, high school-level education and intelligence to the problem we face with unchecked GHG dumping . . . .

In the interim, posts like this one really hammer home the importance for the non-ignorant among us to ACT. "ACT" means EV's in your garage, and solar panels on your roof.

I'm sure they're recycling it as they do the plastics in the ocean.

Without oil or gas, there would be no machinery to mine the lithium, or recycle it. :)

Pretty much everything, and anything is a byproduct of oil/gas.

Plastic has very little value, hence recycling is minimal.

Lithium and other battery metals have value, so there is an economic incentive.

Transportation only accounts for less than a fifth of global GHG emissions.

So if you decide to go back to ICE,
and you want to do your part to reduce GHG's, then consider carpool, eat less meat, get solar, shop local, etc

Refuse, reduce, reuse, recycle, rot

• Disagree
Reactions: croman and 63AMG

and you want to do your part to reduce GHG's, then consider carpool, eat less meat, get solar, shop local, etc

First Rule of Holes: When you're in one, stop digging.

We're in a massive carbon "hole" and the resulting positive feedback loops may ruin our entire planet. Those that "decide to go back to ICE" insult science and our seriously degrade our only planet's future. The thread's title suggests the OP is too far gone so it's up to the rest of us to ACT.

Sometimes data leads to knowledge and wisdom--check out the Dashboard:

And:

www.climate.nasa.gov

Second, huge kudos for "eat less meat," although it should be "eat no meat." Few have even the slightest clue on that aspect, but it's a larger contributor than all transport COMBINED:

www.cowspiracy.com/facts

Key points:

Animal agriculture is responsible for 18 percent of greenhouse gas emissions, more than the combined exhaust from all transportation.

"Livestock's Long Shadow: environmental issues and options". Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Rome 2006

Livestock and their byproducts account for at least 32,000 million tons of carbon dioxide (CO2) per year, or 51% of all worldwide greenhouse gas emissions.

Goodland, R Anhang, J. “Livestock and Climate Change: What if the key actors in climate change were pigs, chickens and cows?”

Goodland, Robert & Anhang, Jeff. "Livestock and Climate Change: What if the key actors in climate change are...cows, pigs and chickens?". WorldWatch. November/December 2009

Hickman, Martin. "Study claims meat creates half of all greenhouse gases". Independent. November 2009

Hyner, Christopher. "A Leading Cause of Everything: One Industry That Is Destroying Our Planet and Our Ability to Thrive on It". Georgetown Environmental Law Review. October 23, 2015. (New)

Methane is 25-100 times more destructive than CO2 on a 20 year time frame.

Shindell, Drew T, et al. "Improved Attribution of Climate Forcing to Emissions". Science. 326, 716 (2009)

Vaidyanathan, Sayathri. "How Bad of a Greenhouse Gas is Methane? The global warming potential of the gaseous fossil fuel may be consistently underestimated". Scientific American. December 22, 2015.

Methane has a global warming potential 86 times that of CO2 on a 20 year time frame.

Shindell, Drew T, et al. "Improved Attribution of Climate Forcing to Emissions". Science. 326, 716 (2009)

and so forth . . . .

Yet headlines blared, "Biden to takeaway your hamburger!" on even the slightest hint of this topic as there are seriously large interests (Big AG, Big Pharma, Big Medicine) facing complete disruption if too many learn the facts about raising, murdering, and eating animals.

Very much worth a deep dive for those not well informed on this topic; has massive impacts on your and the planet's longevity and health.

Reactions: Teezy
Bummer that with each second the Benz runs it shortens the lifespan of our planet, but at least the wheels are silver and he can buy one in about three hours.

The man has his priorities I guess . . . .
You guys remind me of the sporting goods company that refused to sell a oil production company jackets with the oil companys logo on the jacket.
The owner of the oil company looked at all the apparel the sporting good company sold and allllll of it was from oil based products.
You really should read Steve Koonins book 'Unsettled'. Koonin was Clintons science advisor. Bottom line is what the assessment report by the IPCC does NOT reflect what the scientists came up with. The assessment report is 'my hair is on fire' type of propaganda. And NO, Koonin is NOT a Denier nor a Warmist.

Remember in 2000 when David Viner of the CRU said 'within a few years snow will be so rare that UK children won't know what snow is'. Hair on fire people. Lesson; Adapt

Reactions: AMPd and 63AMG

Transportation contributes 29% of GHG according to my search. I would guess a lot of that is supplied by jet planes and diesel trucking, so driving electric that is charged from solar (superchargers and home charging) would be superior to flying and "electric" trains, which are also generally run with diesel. Charging with solar (66 panels) gets me everywhere I need to go, as a 400 mile range is more than I could use in a long day of driving. I have not felt the need to reduce, etc., and most people do not want to switch to something that means they have to change or do without. I'm waiting for you to tell me how wasteful my car is and that I need to use a bicycle up and down our mountain. Not gonna happen.

• Funny
Reactions: 63AMG

Who is talking about value? So we should liter the ocean with plastics because it's not valuable to recycle, but you're telling me to do my part - when the agencies designed to combat this aren't doing their part? If they're not recycling plastic - what makes you so sure they're recycling lithium in a safe/cost effective way? 🤣

I'm sure all the billionaires/millionaires flying their (multiple) private jets, using their (multiple) yachts are as considerate as you. ;)

All the worlds trash ends up in these poor countries in the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: PlaidS
Yeah. I can go to my car and drive down to Park Place Mtrs on Hulen, get in a S63 for a test drive for fifty miles or so,.Then if I have my car title for the trade in with me, I'd be home by eight pm with the new car. Probably before 8pm seeing as it's fivee pm now.
Aside from the environmental impact and the cost of fuel, I know it's only money, but the S63 is worth 1/2 in about how many months?

Reactions: electricar
Who is talking about value? So we should liter the ocean with plastics because it's not valuable to recycle, but you're telling me to do my part - when the agencies designed to combat this aren't doing their part? If they're not recycling plastic - what makes you so sure they're recycling lithium in a safe/cost effective way? 🤣

I'm sure all the billionaires/millionaires flying their (multiple) private jets, using their (multiple) yachts are as considerate as you. ;)

All the worlds trash ends up in these poor countries in the end.

If you have a solution for the worldwide plastic pollution problem, please share.

Whether is is pollution, climate change, resource depletion, loss of habitat, etc, the 5 R's I mentioned earlier are an effective way for consumers to minimize thier impact.

Full disclosure. Wife hates the Tesla and now has an MB 560 S class. Nothing I can do about that! But it sits in the garage and is used only when needed and always in eco mode.

• Disagree
Reactions: 63AMG
Ok. I called Tesla and made a complaint about the change in wheels prior to beginning this thread. The woman was not helpful at all other than saying they would be black. So I told her I wanted to cancel the order. She seemed only too happy to tell me how.

Hours later I got a message from Tesla from 'my handler?" saying he could have changed the wheels. Too late now he said.

So I sit here this 22nd day of June waiting for someone from the Tesla Mobile unit to arrive and fix my front trunk problem on my 2020 S Performance model. The car claims the front trunk is open/unlocked when it is NOT unlocked, which in turn means I cant use cruise control on the hwy. It's a temperature related issue. All I have to do is back it out of the garage into the noon day sun and it'll give me the message of the front trunk unlocked within fifteen minutes. Later in the early morning of the next day, say one or two am, the message goes south. Cars a lead weight sitting on the driveway awaiting the Tesla Mobile Unit sometime b/t eight am and one Pm this day.

Glad I canceled the 2021 since I have found even the Long Range Model has the yolk wheel. I'll wait for a few months till the local Tesla 'Shop; has one to drive before buying one.

Another complaint is.........there is an inadequate description of what a 2021 S Model has. Like no mention of the acoustic laminated glass the 2021 comes with. All windows? Front windshield and drivers/passenger doors? Called Tesla and the fellow had to call me back later becaue he didn't know and had to call people to verify which windows were acoustic laminated glass. Seems windshield and front door windows is the answer. Like Mercedes does it on S Coupess and did on CL550's.
Last compalint today: NO safety latch on the front hood. Criminal.

Ok. I called Tesla and made a complaint about the change in wheels prior to beginning this thread. The woman was not helpful at all other than saying they would be black. So I told her I wanted to cancel the order. She seemed only too happy to tell me how.

Hours later I got a message from Tesla from 'my handler?" saying he could have changed the wheels. Too late now he said.

So I sit here this 22nd day of June waiting for someone from the Tesla Mobile unit to arrive and fix my front trunk problem on my 2020 S Performance model. The car claims the front trunk is open/unlocked when it is NOT unlocked, which in turn means I cant use cruise control on the hwy. It's a temperature related issue. All I have to do is back it out of the garage into the noon day sun and it'll give me the message of the front trunk unlocked within fifteen minutes. Later in the early morning of the next day, say one or two am, the message goes south. Cars a lead weight sitting on the driveway awaiting the Tesla Mobile Unit sometime b/t eight am and one Pm this day.

Glad I canceled the 2021 since I have found even the Long Range Model has the yolk wheel. I'll wait for a few months till the local Tesla 'Shop; has one to drive before buying one.

Another complaint is.........there is an inadequate description of what a 2021 S Model has. Like no mention of the acoustic laminated glass the 2021 comes with. All windows? Front windshield and drivers/passenger doors? Called Tesla and the fellow had to call me back later becaue he didn't know and had to call people to verify which windows were acoustic laminated glass. Seems windshield and front door windows is the answer. Like Mercedes does it on S Coupess and did on CL550's.

I have verified in person looking at a Plaid the side windows are laminated like late model M3's

Most likely a sensor or simple rigging problem with the Frunk, mobile should be able to figure it out.

Agree about the safety catch, buy if it really bothers you, could make a strap device...

Yeah. I can go to my car and drive down to Park Place Mtrs on Hulen, get in a S63 for a test drive for fifty miles or so,.Then if I have my car title for the trade in with me, I'd be home by eight pm with the new car. Probably before 8pm seeing as it's fivee pm now.
so you would spend 3 hours buying a completely different car, but not 3 hours having your wheels refinished?

Aside from the environmental impact and the cost of fuel, I know it's only money, but the S63 is worth 1/2 in about how many months?
Any non-EV luxury brand would normally take about 24-36 months to loser 1/2 its value, but that's historical. That depreciation is about to accelerate as more people learn that Physics, Chemistry, and Science are real (i.e. not a "Chinese Hoax").

Reactions: aerodyne

Just FYI: "NO safety latch on the front hood. Criminal."

Wow, talk about jumping to conclusions . . . have you ever heard of any recent Tesla hood opening while driving?

I'd suggest that you give Elon and his team more credit: they're likely a bit smarter than you and have solutions that make life easier, such as removing an unnecessary manual safety latch. Yes, things can get better over time if smart people apply their skill sets . . . .

If you have a solution for the worldwide plastic pollution problem, please share.

Whether is is pollution, climate change, resource depletion, loss of habitat, etc, the 5 R's I mentioned earlier are an effective way for consumers to minimize thier impact.

Full disclosure. Wife hates the Tesla and now has an MB 560 S class. Nothing I can do about that! But it sits in the garage and is used only when needed and always in eco mode.
Wife hates Tesla too! High five!
Not the car, the company.

Had a S Model on order for three months. Went through the cluncky Tesla trade in process to get a value on the old Tesla. Then today I look at the order on my account and the wheels have changed from silver to butt ugly black/grey where before they showed silver for the last few months.

. Called Tesla and it seems that is what I get if I got the car even though I did NOT order butt ugly black wheels Canceled the order. Bait and switch and nothing but bait and switch.

In fact the whole buying experience online is CLUNKY with Tesla.
And we were all told that buying a Tesla vehicle online is so easy and trouble free, unlike those evil traditional dealerships. Lol.
The reality of the Tesla sales model and their propaganda about it are not even close. Maybe early on in the formative years, when they still cared about customers, it was great. Now, they can be much worse than the legacy dealers.

And we were all told that buying a Tesla vehicle online is so easy and trouble free, unlike those evil traditional dealerships. Lol.
The reality of the Tesla sales model and their propaganda about it are not even close. Maybe early on in the formative years, when they still cared about customers, it was great. Now, they can be much worse than the legacy dealers.
That can happen when demand outpaces supply. Also happening across traditional dealerships across the country. However their solution is to add additional dealer markup on top of MSRP.

Had a S Model on order for three months. Went through the cluncky Tesla trade in process to get a value on the old Tesla. Then today I look at the order on my account and the wheels have changed from silver to butt ugly black/grey where before they showed silver for the last few months.

. Called Tesla and it seems that is what I get if I got the car even though I did NOT order butt ugly black wheels Canceled the order. Bait and switch and nothing but bait and switch.

In fact the whole buying experience online is CLUNKY with Tesla.
Over wheels? How do you consider that a bait in switch? I'm sorry but this has to be the funniest post i've ever read on here. Thank you 🤣