Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canceling Model 3 Order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All, Advice please. I called Tesla Main HQ to request cancelling my M3 order. I didn't have a VIN assigned, order form was RN (reservation # only.) I received an email back stating reply to email with reason for cancelling. Gave me a choice of line items as reasons. I opted after seeing many 3's on the road I would keep my 2015 MS. Since no VIN was assigned the email and phone indicated a refund would follow. (I originally asked if I could simply upgrade to autopilot on my MS)

Thank you for contacting Tesla Support. You have recently reached out to us to request a cancellation for your Model 3 reservation. Please provide the following information in order for us to process this request.

Reservation Number: (RN-)
Reason for Cancellation (Please choose at least one reason):
1. My in-store experience was lacking
2. I'm not sure an electric vehicle is right for me
3. I'm unsure about charging
4. Pricing
5. I'm buying another car
6. Other

Best,
Ayriana F.

This was on 9/21/18. I replied to the email to cancel but no confirm email back. I forwarded same email 3 more times to [email protected]. No answer. I've since received 2 txt messages indicating they had a car fitting my order available to which I replied I cancelled original order. Is there a better method of getting a reply?

I'm surprised that no one has files a class action law suit against Tesla for not producing the $35,000.00 Model 3.
It sucks when you stood in line for hours, put down $1,000.00 and still don't have the car. Tesla (Elon) should have build the
model 3 in order of time and date you placed your deposit.

Elon got an interest free loan and if you wanted the $35,000.00 Model 3 you get to wait until all the more expensive Model 3's
are build out. Oh, I also think you may not get the $7,500.00 rebait. I think it's down to $3,500.00 now. Buy the time the low cost
Model 3's are delivered the rebait may be zero.

I'm surprised that no one has files a class action law suit against Tesla for not producing the $35,000.00 Model 3.
It sucks when you stood in line for hours, put down $1,000.00 and still don't have the car. Tesla (Elon) should have build the
model 3 in order of time and date you placed your deposit.

Elon got an interest free loan and if you wanted the $35,000.00 Model 3 you get to wait until all the more expensive Model 3's
are build out. Oh, I also think you may not get the $7,500.00 rebait. I think it's down to $3,500.00 now. Buy the time the low cost
Model 3's are delivered the rebait may be zero.
You could have researched this a bit first. Electric Vehicle Incentives

The full "Tax Credit" ($7500) is available for any deliveries for up to 6 months after they reached the 200,000 delivery Quarter. So that would be 6 months after 2nd quarter 2018 which is December 31, 2018, it then drops to $3,750 from January 1 to June 30, 2019, then $1,875 July 1 to December 31, 2019.

So those who are at the front of the list for a base Model 3 will most likely get a tax credit. Tesla and Musk have stated that they have to be profitable before producing the base models.

Reactions: Akikiki
No, I'm not one who stood in line and waited many years. I ordered a performance M3 on August 15th, 2018 for similar reasons, longer range and shorter delivery times which would assist in getting in before Tax Credit dropped in half. I figured many more cameras would be better for autopilot (I have been reading people prefer the AP1). Also restart 8 year warranty, etc. On reflection some of the M3 limitations bothered me. Nothing straight in front of my eyes re: speed etc, No sunroof. No quite the same look as the S (I'm being careful in wording).

Here is the wording from order form/contract: Order; Nonrefundable Order Payment; Changes. After you submit your completed order and the options you selected become available in production, we will begin the process of matching your order to a vehicle and coordinating your Vehicle delivery. Your Order Payment covers the cost of these activities and other processing costs and is not a deposit for the Vehicle. Your Order Payment is fully refundable only until your order is matched to a Vehicle, at which point it becomes nonrefundable. Any changes to your Vehicle Configuration, delivery location or expected delivery time after the Order Date will be difficult, if not impossible, for us to accommodate. If you want to make changes to your order, we will try to accommodate your request. If we accept your request, you may be subject to a non-refundable $500 change fee and potential price increases for any pricing adjustments made since your original Order Date. Any changes made by you to your Vehicle Configuration, including changes to the delivery location or estimated

I just can't get a reply to my cancel e-mail Should I sent certified mail?

Someone correct me if i'm wrong. Elon / Tesla didn't say that after you stand in line and plunk down your deposit you have to wait until
all the high cost Model 3's are produced and sold before they Tesla will build your low cost Model 3.

If the first person in line should get to order their car first and so on. That is not how Tesla is doing it. You can order a loaded Model 3
today and you'll get your Model 3 before the guy that stood ing line for hours.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong. Elon / Tesla didn't say that after you stand in line and plunk down your deposit you have to wait until
all the high cost Model 3's are produced and sold before they Tesla will build your low cost Model 3.

Elon got an interest free loan...
"Someone correct me..." Okay. Respectfully sir, you are wrong.
Here's what's wrong with what you said,
#1) Tesla got a government loan along with several other car manufacturers at the same time to develop EV's;
#2) it was not interest free,
#3) Tesla paid it back EARLY, IN FULL, with INTEREST.

Fisker did NOT repay their loan. Why is that not on your radar?

If the first person in line should get to order their car first and so on. That is not how Tesla is doing it. You can order a loaded Model 3
today and you'll get your Model 3 before the guy that stood in line for hours.

well...it is exactly how it was done for the S. Why would you expect the 3 to be different?
you could get a P or an 85 well before a 60 or 40(60). didn't matter when you ordered

Sorry Akiikiki
If 400,000 people give you $1,000.00 each, that is interest free money until you either return it or the person gives you more money
in order to get what your selling. The government had nothing to do with people standing in line when people lined up to give Tesla a $1,000.00 deposit on a future purchase.

When was the last time you gave your car dealer $1,000.00 just to order a car. Oh, wait I do know someone who did something like that to purchase a Vet way back when. But they got the car and with in three month not three years.

When I ordered my 60 I knew that I would have it within a set amount of time. There is not way in hell that I would wait two or three years for a car even a Tesla. On top of that if I was looking for the $35,000.00 model 3 and the only thing that Tesla was producing was the $56,000.00 Model 3, I would get my money back and up it in the bank, 1/2 percent is better then zero.

• Disagree
Reactions: KG M3 and madodel
I have a first day reservation as well. I wanted our second model 3 to be the base model, as it would be a city commuter car. Here is how I'm thinking about it now. If I wait for the base model, it will likely be $35,000 (in black w no options) less say $1875 for the rebate after June 30, 2019 -- for a net of $33,125 plus delivery, tax, etc. If I order a LR version in time for delivery before 12/31/18, it would be $49,000 (in black with bigger battery and PUP -- no EAP) less $7500 because I have sufficient taxable income -- for a net of $41,500 plus delivery, tax, etc. In my opinion, I will get a lot more for my extra money by buying now. If the bigger battery and the premium package are not things you're looking for, waiting or canceling is the only option.

• Helpful
Reactions: madodel
Sorry Akiikiki
If 400,000 people give you $1,000.00 each, that is interest free money until you either return it or the person gives you more money
in order to get what your selling. The government had nothing to do with people standing in line when people lined up to give Tesla a $1,000.00 deposit on a future purchase.

When was the last time you gave your car dealer $1,000.00 just to order a car. Oh, wait I do know someone who did something like that to purchase a Vet way back when. But they got the car and with in three month not three years.

When I ordered my 60 I knew that I would have it within a set amount of time. There is not way in hell that I would wait two or three years for a car even a Tesla. On top of that if I was looking for the $35,000.00 model 3 and the only thing that Tesla was producing was the $56,000.00 Model 3, I would get my money back and up it in the bank, 1/2 percent is better then zero.

WATTS-UP, When was the last time I gave a car dealer $1,000 just to order a car? You really stepped into this one, thank you. Dec '12 when I ordered my Tesla #1, Aug '13, when I ordered Tesla #2, and Dec '16 when I ordered Tesla #3. And I did not mind giving the $5,000 deposit toward final payment each time.

No one twisted those people arms for that $1,000 deposit. I believe each one would have given twice that if he had asked. And it was common knowledge THEN that it was going to be a year or more before many of had their chance to configure their car.

Ya know, if you don't want the car, or don't want the M3. We don't care. Step out of the way, there's someone behind you that wants it. I've said my piece to you sir. I've nothing more to add, so I will no longer in your conversations here. Best of luck to you.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA and madodel
Sorry Akiikiki

I ordered a fully loaded Corvette convertible with Z51 chassis from a Chevrolet dealer... and after waiting for a year with NO CAR I pressed the dealership owner who admitted the order had never been placed... and refunded my money. OUCH

Fortunately, the incredible 2006 Z06 Corvette "supercar" was announced so I tried to order one... and was told by several local SoCal "stealerships" I'd need to give them a $20,000 non-refundable deposit to "get in the line". SERIOUSLY. So I went on the internet and found the exact same Z06 in Dallas TX. Flew to Dallas, picked it up, and arrived back in SoCal 1-1/2 days later and $20,000 richer.

Similar stories apply to ALL cars where demand exceeds supply. Tesla doesn't mark their price up ONE DOLLAR, just has you wait in line. Try to get a limited edition Porsche, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Lamborghini, Ferrari for "sticker". Oh that's right, FaGetAboutIt

Reactions: madodel and Akikiki
I ordered a fully loaded Corvette convertible with Z51 chassis from a Chevrolet dealer... and after waiting for a year with NO CAR I pressed the dealership owner who admitted the order had never been placed... and refunded my money. OUCH

Fortunately, the incredible 2006 Z06 Corvette "supercar" was announced so I tried to order one... and was told by several local SoCal "stealerships" I'd need to give them a $20,000 non-refundable deposit to "get in the line". SERIOUSLY. So I went on the internet and found the exact same Z06 in Dallas TX. Flew to Dallas, picked it up, and arrived back in SoCal 1-1/2 days later and $20,000 richer.

Similar stories apply to ALL cars where demand exceeds supply. Tesla doesn't mark their price up ONE DOLLAR, just has you wait in line. Try to get a limited edition Porsche, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Lamborghini, Ferrari for "sticker". Oh that's right, FaGetAboutIt
I never had a limited edition anything until I got my Sig X ( which was a $40k reservation ). My reservation fee was refundable and during the long wait I came close to asking for it back but I wanted that X so bad I never did. I have never regretted despite waiting over 2 years to get my X. I'm glad they waited because I got AP1 which wouldn't have been there if they didn't spend all that time on those stupid gorgeous doors.

I bought a Toyota Highlander Hybrid before that which had a dealer package of door edge protectors and other meaningless stuff that was worth a fraction of what they jacked up the price for. I refused to pay for it so they removed the edge guards and whatever other useless junk they were ripping people off for. I have hated car buying long before that with lots of bad experiences, worse one being one dealer in Lancaster, PA actually refusing to return my car keys after they took my car to give me a trade in value. Didn't get them back until a cop came. UnFreakingBelievable what some auto dealers will do to people.

Reactions: Akikiki
No, I'm not one who stood in line and waited many years. I ordered a performance M3 on August 15th, 2018 for similar reasons, longer range and shorter delivery times which would assist in getting in before Tax Credit dropped in half. I figured many more cameras would be better for autopilot (I have been reading people prefer the AP1). Also restart 8 year warranty, etc. On reflection some of the M3 limitations bothered me. Nothing straight in front of my eyes re: speed etc, No sunroof. No quite the same look as the S (I'm being careful in wording).

Here is the wording from order form/contract: Order; Nonrefundable Order Payment; Changes. After you submit your completed order and the options you selected become available in production, we will begin the process of matching your order to a vehicle and coordinating your Vehicle delivery. Your Order Payment covers the cost of these activities and other processing costs and is not a deposit for the Vehicle. Your Order Payment is fully refundable only until your order is matched to a Vehicle, at which point it becomes nonrefundable. Any changes to your Vehicle Configuration, delivery location or expected delivery time after the Order Date will be difficult, if not impossible, for us to accommodate. If you want to make changes to your order, we will try to accommodate your request. If we accept your request, you may be subject to a non-refundable $500 change fee and potential price increases for any pricing adjustments made since your original Order Date. Any changes made by you to your Vehicle Configuration, including changes to the delivery location or estimated

I just can't get a reply to my cancel e-mail Should I sent certified mail?

If you got an email back on your original request and you also have the copy of the email that you responded with I think you should be good. I also cancelled a previous order (they confirmed the cancellation via email but then actually built the car by mistake), and while I had to do some nagging to remind them to get the cancellation processed I did get the deposit back. I think Tesla's internal processes to handle cancellations need work, but I don't think they are trying to do anything intentionally underhanded. Unfortunately, it sounds like you aren't getting any response. You could just dispute the deposit on your credit card (assuming you used one to pay for the deposit). I expect that will get it straightened out as you have documentation support the cancellation.

This was on 9/21/18. I replied to the email to cancel but no confirm email back. I forwarded same email 3 more times to [email protected]. No answer. I've since received 2 txt messages indicating they had a car fitting my order available to which I replied I cancelled original order. Is there a better method of getting a reply?
You could also keep your M3 deposit and later convert it to get the future 2020 MY.

Reactions: madodel
Someone at the Springfield NJ service center called about finalizing the paperwork for sale. I related I called and emailed five times. He said he would get it cancelled. Haven't heard back but I do check for returned deposit. I just logged into Tesla website and it shows confirmed cancellation