Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

cancellation of my model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this story dates all the way back to 2018/06/29 when i placed my order to purchase the model 3. paying 3200 plus the 1000 rev fee, 5 weeks after on 2018/08/29 i decided to ask for refund and cancel my model 3 as things went south with life. so i called in and the lady i talked to was happy to help me cancel my order. she sent me the email to cancel and i filled it out and sent to back. still on the phone she said she received it and all is good i will be getting my full refund of 4200 back within 30-60 days. keep in mind the vin number for my car was not made, which was why i was able to get my full refund back. 1 month went by and i decided to send a email to Tesla customer support and back to the original email i sent. i got no reply back form either. 1 month goes by and on 2018/11/01 i call again and this time the person on the phone said that Tesla did put a hold on my order but i didn't get my refund for some reason so we decided to fill out the same form and send it again. once again he said he got it and i should be getting my full refund of 4200 within 30 days. Once again 30 days go by and i haven't received my refund so i call in again on 2018/12/27 and talk to another person who said they cant help but will file a report and send it to headquarter where someone will contact me in 5-7 business days about my refund. 2 week now go by and now it is 2019/01/11 and i call again and now this time the person says i wont be getting my refund because there is a vin number for my order and nothing they can do about it. even though i sent in 2 cancel request before my vin was made. they said they will get a hold of the local store manager to get a hold of me but im thinking they will tell me the same thing. it seems like im getting screwed over by tesla.

i have a big paper trail and contact information with everyone i talked to and here is the kicker. I helped a person i know cancel his model 3 1 month after i canceled mine and he received his refund within 5 days. same process and everything and we actually placed our order within 1 week of each other.

any feedback to this situation will be awesome , thanks alot

If you're anywhere near a service center or showroom, walk in and tell them what's going on, show them the emails, and let them know that if they can't help you that you expect it to be escalated. Demand a call back same-day. If you've been waiting 4.5 months, they owe you that. If that doesn't get you anywhere, I don't know what the Canadian version of an Attorney General is, but I'd let Tesla know that my next call would be to them.

I can see getting a check to you taking up to 30 days- you call in at the end of a month when all the financial crap is done and checks have been finalized to be sent out, now you need to wait for the next cycle. It would be frustrating, but I get that could be an explanation. Waiting 60 days? No. Waiting 4 months? Absolutely not. I'd have got my local authorities involved long ago at that point.

If you didn’t have a test drive, take delivery, driver it for a few days and return it.

Shame on Tesla for not being more organized.

Before doing that I'd make sure the offer was valid in Canada, and get it in writing.

It's certainly a possibility, and I see no reason why he wouldn't get everything back. But, I don't know how things work in Canada.

I canceled my first order way back a few years because I got cold feet. I did so before the VIN assignment, and got my deposit back without any issue. Getting my deposit back was critical in me going through with a purchase a few months after that when the 70D was released that I found too hard to resist.

Thanks alot everyone for the support on my issue. I have taken futher action and sent emails out the the attorney general of B.C, local newspaper and the provincial newspaper to consumers matters, and filed a report to the better business bureau. If that doesn't scare Tesla I don't know what will.

Thanks alot everyone for the support on my issue. I have taken futher action and sent emails out the the attorney general of B.C, local newspaper and the provincial newspaper to consumers matters, and filed a report to the better business bureau. If that doesn't scare Tesla I don't know what will.

For what it's worth, I don't think its intentional malice on Tesla's part.

They either don't have enough people, the people are poorly trained, and they have internal processes that paralyze people from making nimble and obvious decisions.

For the amount of stress you have, it might be a good idea to plan a trip, maybe combine with other purposes to go to the Tesla store.

You should be able to get several contacts to escalate your situation. Main problem is getting a hold of a decision maker.

Reactions: Matt L
Executive review? Hasn't that process has also been documented here ad nauseam.

Pet peeve of mine .. OP ... it's VIN not VIN number

OH YEAH! I have lots of pet peeves, myself, mainly centered around the inability of people to spell correctly, but also bordering other rules of writing. Intelligent people, but too busy to write correctly. I hope those people are also too busy to get upset over others' values, which they obviously are. My Chem class was always irritated that I required proper spelling, spacing, paragraphing, etc., often trying to tell me they only needed to worry about that in English class. Riiiiight! Wait until you get a job.

You are all now authorized to pick on my writing.... :)

Reactions: GreenT
You attributing intent to Tesla that I don’t think is there. They aren’t intentionally trying to screw you...they are bumbling through this rapid growth and making a lot of mistakes.

I’m not really sure any of those things will lead to a faster return.

Reactions: MXWing
this story dates all the way back to 2018/06/29 when i placed my order to purchase the model 3. paying 3200 plus the 1000 rev fee, 5 weeks after on 2018/08/29 i decided to ask for refund and cancel my model 3 as things went south with life. so i called in and the lady i talked to was happy to help me cancel my order. she sent me the email to cancel and i filled it out and sent to back. still on the phone she said she received it and all is good i will be getting my full refund of 4200 back within 30-60 days. keep in mind the vin number for my car was not made, which was why i was able to get my full refund back. 1 month went by and i decided to send a email to Tesla customer support and back to the original email i sent. i got no reply back form either. 1 month goes by and on 2018/11/01 i call again and this time the person on the phone said that Tesla did put a hold on my order but i didn't get my refund for some reason so we decided to fill out the same form and send it again. once again he said he got it and i should be getting my full refund of 4200 within 30 days. Once again 30 days go by and i haven't received my refund so i call in again on 2018/12/27 and talk to another person who said they cant help but will file a report and send it to headquarter where someone will contact me in 5-7 business days about my refund. 2 week now go by and now it is 2019/01/11 and i call again and now this time the person says i wont be getting my refund because there is a vin number for my order and nothing they can do about it. even though i sent in 2 cancel request before my vin was made. they said they will get a hold of the local store manager to get a hold of me but im thinking they will tell me the same thing. it seems like im getting screwed over by tesla.

i have a big paper trail and contact information with everyone i talked to and here is the kicker. I helped a person i know cancel his model 3 1 month after i canceled mine and he received his refund within 5 days. same process and everything and we actually placed our order within 1 week of each other.

any feedback to this situation will be awesome , thanks alot
I have been in a very similar situation and actually placed my original order on the same date as you from Canada. I waited 3 months after my cancellation and still hadn't received any refund, even though I was promised to get it within 20 days of cancelling. I ended up contacting my bank and they filled a dispute and gave me back the refund.

Since then I have actually placed another order and purchased the car. But the initial cancellation was frustrating. Same story, several phone calls, many promises, no results. I suggest contacting your bank to see what they can do.