Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't close windows while charging and opened car with phone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this correct? I've opened and started my Tesla S with my phone. Drove to a nearby supercharger and started to charge. My window was open, now I can't find a way to close it, other than disconnecting the charger cable.

Am I overlooking something?

You were inside your car with it fully on (all screens active) and tried to close the window? Did you have the window lock on? You could try a full restart by pressing and holding the brake and both scroll wheels for 10 seconds, then release them. After the center screen restarts, do the same for the top two buttons on both sides of the steering wheel, above the scroll wheels.

You can also schedule an appointment through the app and fully explain the issue.

You were inside your car with it fully on (all screens active) and tried to close the window? Did you have the window lock on? You could try a full restart by pressing and holding the brake and both scroll wheels for 10 seconds, then release them. After the center screen restarts, do the same for the top two buttons on both sides of the steering wheel, above the scroll wheels.

You can also schedule an appointment through the app and fully explain the issue.
Key fob is not being detected. Same thing happened to me and as soon as it picked up the key fob connection the windows worked. App will not help in this case.

• Helpful
Reactions: aerodyne
Is this correct? I've opened and started my Tesla S with my phone. Drove to a nearby supercharger and started to charge. My window was open, now I can't find a way to close it, other than disconnecting the charger cable.

Am I overlooking something?

Nope -- that's one of the several weird logic bugs I've found in my 2016 MCU2 car; the first being

scenario 1 (windows should operate if there's a person in the car or doors open; instead the car has to be in "drive" mode)
1. nitwit child left car open when driving him home from school
2. I got out and plugged car in
3. it looks like it's going to rain overnight
4. I get a warning from my car "window left open"
5. I wander outside to fix car; have phone but not fob
6. I unlock car with app
7. I sit down in car and close door
8. I try to roll windows up and nothing happens
9. I remember "yeah, this dumb thing won't let me roll windows up without car started"
10. ask app to start car
11. try to roll windows up... again nothing
12. crap - the car can't start with the car charging
13. get out of car, pull charger cable
14. get back into car and roll windows up (still within the 2 minute remote driving window)
15. get out of car plug car back in
16. mumble to myself "Can put a rocket back on the ground on it's ass but can't make a car with windows that work"

scenario 2 (charger should allow disconnection if doors unlocked, regardless of handle presentation state)
1. car's setup to not present door handles unless they're tapped
2. car's plugged in from charging overnigh
3. I have my key fob in my pocket
4. I walk up to my car to drive it away so I push the button on the car next to the charge port to unlock charger
5. nothing happens
6. I press door handle to make doors present
7. I press the button again and this time the charger unlocks
8. (if wife is trying to unlock car -- she'll have called me to ask me what's wrong with my stupid car)

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H