Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't get in car. Neither app, nor key card working.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As of this morning, I can't get in my 2021 model Y. It's in my garage plugged in with about 70% charge, but the app won't connect, and the key card won't unlock the doors. I've restarted the app and my phone. My wifi and Bluetooth are working for everything else.

Does anyone know what to do?

I don't know if it applies to your older vehicle but there is a DIY back stop way of getting the car awake to the duff battery if jumping it isn't enough. It may be in that checklist you were already given.

I think what you have is a battery with enough poke to fire up the computer but not enough to engage the big battery.

If you never changed the 12v it's a pretty safe bet that changing it now will do the trick I was you I"d first have a crack at the upscale jump that puts the big fella back online. That can get you mobile out in the wild next time.

Upvote 0
Tesla were doing it by the book. You can't blame them for your broken window. You could blame DrDiesel for not warning you of the potential for glass damage with no power though. He''ll live with that ok.

I think you will feel like it has been a learning experience if you can power up the car without a new battery. Then you can fit new battery and drive it to Tesla for the new window and you are only out the window rather than tow as well.

• Funny
Reactions: DrDiesel1
Upvote 0
Yes, I am able to get in now and the screen comes on, but won't reset and won't go into Tow Mode.
It's going to be about $600 to tow it to the tesla place which is about 90 miles away. My insurance will reimburse me $75 for towing (Yay).

The car certainly went into a 'Load Shedding' mode, where only a minimum of functions are still running, like the Sleep mode on a computer.

You need to disconnet and reconnect the negative terminal of the 12V battery (using a 10mm wrench). This will reset the car to normal setting.

Allowing you to get the Towing Mode working to release the parking brake and go to Neutral.

Reactions: DrDiesel1
Upvote 0
The car certainly went into a 'Load Shedding' mode, where only a minimum of functions are still running, like the Sleep mode on a computer.

You need to disconnet and reconnect the negative terminal of the 12V battery (using a 10mm wrench). This will reset the car to normal setting.

Allowing you to get the Towing Mode working to release the parking brake and go to Neutral.
He will also need to charge the 12 volt battery. It is the cause of this fiasco. YMMV!

Upvote 0
(moderator note)

I dont know if its because its summer, or there is something in the water, or what, but there has been a definite uptick in "snippy / rude" responses. This isnt that kind of website. Its possible to disagree with something, or point something out, without being rude about it.

Consider this a general warning to " dont do that".

Upvote 0