Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't get in car. Neither app, nor key card working.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: I was able to access the hood by jump starting those wires that come out of the front bumper. Then attaching jumper cables to the 12 volt battery got me into the car and the screen on. Pushing the buttons on the steering wheel did not reset the system though. I'm thinking about replacing the 12 volt battery myself.

Does anyone know what size or how to find out what size battery it is? It's a 2021 Model Y Long Range with the 12 volt lead acid battery.
Easiest is to order via the Tesla app and pick it up at the nearest service center

Upvote 0
Update: I was able to access the hood by jump starting those wires that come out of the front bumper. Then attaching jumper cables to the 12 volt battery got me into the car and the screen on. Pushing the buttons on the steering wheel did not reset the system though. I'm thinking about replacing the 12 volt battery myself.

Does anyone know what size or how to find out what size battery it is? It's a 2021 Model Y Long Range with the 12 volt lead acid battery.
Open a service request on the app and let Tesla replace the battery.

Upvote 0

Per Tesla Owners Manual:

CAUTION
To avoid damage that is not covered by the warranty, replace your low voltage lead-acid battery with the same type of battery. The low voltage lead-acid battery for North American vehicles is AtlasBX / Hankook 85B24LS 12V 45Ah. You can purchase a new lead-acid low voltage battery that is compatible with your vehicle from your local service center.

Upvote 0
I brought the battery in to Walmart to replace, and they're asking me about cranking amps.
Cranking amps are irrelevant. What you’re really looking for is more of a deep cycle battery. ICE batteries need to be able to provide short bursts of very high current to turn over and start the engine. EV batteries need to provide continuous low current to power the car’s electronics when the HV contactors are open.

Not sure if you have an O’Reilly near you but they have one on their compatibility list, a relatively expensive AGM:

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
Cranking amps are irrelevant. What you’re really looking for is more of a deep cycle battery. ICE batteries need to be able to provide short bursts of very high current to turn over and start the engine. EV batteries need to provide continuous low current to power the car’s electronics when the HV contactors are open.

Not sure if you have an O’Reilly near you but they have one on their compatibility list, a relatively expensive AGM:

I do have an O'Reillys. I'll go there now. Thank you again for your help.

Reactions: ucmndd
Upvote 0