Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

can't get sap off car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know if it's sap, some bird with mega turds or some sort of glue grease from a vandal, but it's on my hood and my front window. It's not a lot, but I am using soap and it's just not coming off. If I put a lot of soap on and then use my fingernail, it does come off, but it is really persistent. How do I get this off my car without ruining the paint? I used alcohol on the glass as I know it's safe there.

I don't know if it's sap, some bird with mega turds or some sort of glue grease from a vandal, but it's on my hood and my front window. It's not a lot, but I am using soap and it's just not coming off. If I put a lot of soap on and then use my fingernail, it does come off, but it is really persistent. How do I get this off my car without ruining the paint? I used alcohol on the glass as I know it's safe there.

Rubbing alcohol - preferably 90+%. Buy at any drug store. Use soft rag. Keep the sap wet with the alcohol for a couple of minutes. It will come off with very light rubbing.

• Informative
Reactions: garth_angst
Try spraying a little WD 40 on the spot. Let it sit for 5 or so minutes, and then wipe it off. A little alcohol on a rag will clean the WD 40 off. Yesterday after a meeting, my car was covered in seagull *sugar*. I had to go to the car wash. Now we have avian Tesla haters. :D

I've used Goo Gone successfully in the past.

+1 on this. Goo-Gone or a mix of 50/50 IPA and white vinegar for a homemade solution.

This is a good example of why ceramic coatings are so popular. Most sap, bugs, poop or other contaminants are no match for ceramic + a good tar remover and decon (like CQuartz, TarX, IronX).

My CQuartz guy recommends this for getting bug gunk etc. off of that vulnerable, pre-CQuartz, paint:
(I use and recommend it too and it works on PINE SAP!!)

Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 3.05.16 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: ReddykwRun