Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't have accessories waiting for you when picking up a new Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called the Tesla dealership to which my Tesla is supposed to be delivered in the next couple of weeks to order accessories. I just wanted to have the Dealership order them or accept delivery or something so that I didn't have to drag the floor mats with me when I come pick up my Tesla since - you know - I am not in MY car (or my other car). I didn't want to step foot in my Tesla without having the floor liners ready to go. Honestly, I thought this would be a simple request. Like why wouldn't a Tesla dealership do this? I would be happy to pre-pay or whatever.

As you have no doubt surmised at this point, after two days of waiting for an answer, I was told that I would just have to get them on my own. The service manager was quite rude about it too. She just didn't understand why someone would want to keep their BRAND NEW Tesla clean, and why someone who is either having to get an Uber or ask a favor of someone to not have to worry about carrying a bunch of floor mats and cargo mats. She was annoyed that I asked this question. "It is our policy that owners will have to buy floor mats online and have them shipped to their house." I can't think of another car manufacturer or dealership that would refuse such a simple request.

Maybe I am having unrealistic expectations here, but that doesn't seem right to me. Has anyone else been successful in doing something like what I am trying to do? I would like to know so that I can ask for the dealership manager (yes, I realize how much of a Karen this makes me sound) and support my position with a few examples.

While this hasn't turned me off from Tesla, it has caused me to think that my local service center is not very customer focused.
This is unrealistic expectations. They ain't gonna accept that package liability. Try and ask that for cat dealership, they say no also. Get swole and Drag that mat yourself, bro.

• Funny
Reactions: DDHEverything
I guess if you purchased your accessories direct from Tesla this would be a non issue. As they are aftermarket mats Tesla probably want no part of it in case they get lost or damaged while in storage - seems reasonable to me
Did anyone have their car wrapped/Ppf’d/ceramic coated at a dealer before pickup? I wonder if the policy on this would be different

I guess if you purchased your accessories direct from Tesla this would be a non issue. As they are aftermarket mats Tesla probably want no part of it in case they get lost or damaged while in storage - seems reasonable to me
Did anyone have their car wrapped/Ppf’d/ceramic coated at a dealer before pickup? I wonder if the policy on this would be different
It is from Tesla direct, but it is still an issue. I am trying to get the floor mats that Tesla sells online delivered to the Tesla store where I am picking up the car.

It is from Tesla direct, but it is still an issue. I am trying to get the floor mats that Tesla sells online delivered to the Tesla store where I am picking up the car.
Ok well then that is crappy, I purchased a charging adapter form Tesla before pickup and it was right there in the trunk on pickup day
Which dealership is it? Is there a chance they misunderstood you? Is it too late to order directly through the dealership?

Better cancel your order then. If having to make a single drive in your car's total lifetime without floor liners is this big of a deal then there's no way you can live with the other particulars of owning a Tesla.

This is hands down the worst community I have ever joined. I just wanted to buy Tesla's floor mats and have them ready to be installed before my cross country drive home. It isn't too much to ask, and it sucks that you and the most of the community are being very unkind and unsupportive.

I am not childish enough to cancel my order, but it does leave me a little disappointed in that sales store. It is too easy to have a Tesla product waiting for me while I pick up another Tesla product.

Best wishes! I hope you have a good ownership experience with your Tesla, and I hope you never have an issue that you want help with on your Tesla. If you do, I hope you find a community that treats you better than you have done to me.

Tesla is known for making great cars, but they are not known for providing great customer service. If you are already disappointed that Tesla can not handle this request, I have a feeling you are going to be really disappointed when something goes wrong with your car and you find there is a two week lead time to get a service appointment.

If you’ve been reading other threads in this forum, there is a common theme that Tesla as an organization needs to mature in the way it provides service, both pre and post delivery. Those of us who have stuck by Tesla have not ignored this issue. We simply accept the fact that the car is so much better than any other alternative that it is worth putting up with the less than stellar service. Not everyone sees it this way though, and many people become very disgruntled Tesla owners when they have an unsatisfactory service experience.

Reactions: DaveG_NJ
This is hands down the worst community I have ever joined. I just wanted to buy Tesla's floor mats and have them ready to be installed before my cross country drive home. It isn't too much to ask, and it sucks that you and the most of the community are being very unkind and unsupportive.

I am not childish enough to cancel my order, but it does leave me a little disappointed in that sales store. It is too easy to have a Tesla product waiting for me while I pick up another Tesla product.

Best wishes! I hope you have a good ownership experience with your Tesla, and I hope you never have an issue that you want help with on your Tesla. If you do, I hope you find a community that treats you better than you have done to me.
A lot of people tried to explain how this works with Tesla, but you keep doubling down on how awful it is.
It sucks, but this is by no means a big deal. If you think we are unsupportive for trying to point out that you're exaggerating then I'm sorry you feel that way. You can't force people to think it's as big a deal as you think, though.

Ok well then that is crappy, I purchased a charging adapter form Tesla before pickup and it was right there in the trunk on pickup day
Which dealership is it? Is there a chance they misunderstood you? Is it too late to order directly through the dealership?

Thanks for understanding. I'm pretty sure that the Service department understood what I was asking for since she said their policy was customers have to order mats and home chargers to be delivered at home. I was trying to order through the dealership (store) directly.

I don't want to put that store (dealership) on blast, and my goal was not to complain. I was hoping to get some advice on ways that other people have accomplished this.

I really really appreciate your help! Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Lo-voltage
A lot of people tried to explain how this works with Tesla, but you keep doubling down on how awful it is.
It sucks, but this is by no means a big deal. If you think we are unsupportive for trying to point out that you're exaggerating then I'm sorry you feel that way. You can't force people to think it's as big a deal as you think, though.

I am not exaggerating anything. I am picking up the car in Virginia to drive back to Portland Oregon. Just because something works a way doesn't mean that it should or that it has to. I agree that I can't force you to see it as big a deal as I do, but similarly you can't force me to not see it big a deal as I do. So, it isn't a big deal to me is as useful a reply as me saying it is a big deal.

I was just hoping to get get advice - not pooped on for wanting floor mats upon delivery.

Tesla is known for making great cars, but they are not known for providing great customer service. If you are already disappointed that Tesla can not handle this request, I have a feeling you are going to be really disappointed when something goes wrong with your car and you find there is a two week lead time to get a service appointment.

If you’ve been reading other threads in this forum, there is a common theme that Tesla as an organization needs to mature in the way it provides service, both pre and post delivery. Those of us who have stuck by Tesla have not ignored this issue. We simply accept the fact that the car is so much better than any other alternative that it is worth putting up with the less than stellar service. Not everyone sees it this way though, and many people become very disgruntled Tesla owners when they have an unsatisfactory service experience.

Totally makes sense. I am not going to be a disgruntled owner. I am looking for solutions not to gripe. I will admit that this issue gets to me because it is so simple that it should not be an issue.

However, I really appreciate your insight. It is something that I will have to keep in mind, and you articulated it well. Thanks, man!

Are you staying in a hotel in VA? Maybe have them delivered there? Does the SC in VA have mats in stock?
re : Do they have them in stock?

That was what the front end lady said they would do. They would just order them as a part and sell it to me, but they could not hold it for me specifically. I was like yeah that totally makes sense. The service lady was like how about no.

Poop!

I am traveling between hotels. I am trying to avoid having to carry them in because I will already have a bunch of stuff with me. Floor mats are just an unneeded addition, and I don't want to have to wait in a place for delivery. I just want to get in and go with the floor liners. I am surprised at how much of an upoar this is causing. I thought I was just asking for some ketchup for my fries which I will pay for, but I guess I was asking for something a lot more than that.

Thanks for your efforts and help!

When I saw you post I already knew the Tesla adepts would be all over you, sorry for that. Indeed it's not an actual dealership but I can totally see how you would expect this to be just possible.

Problem with the current setup seems to be that there is just no incentive for being customer friendly, one has to depend on the individual excellence of people. Lots do have that excellence (as is visible from the people who not only got their accessories delivered but even installed) not everyone though.

Good luck here

When I saw you post I already knew the Tesla adepts would be all over you, sorry for that. Indeed it's not an actual dealership but I can totally see how you would expect this to be just possible.

Problem with the current setup seems to be that there is just no incentive for being customer friendly, one has to depend on the individual excellence of people. Lots do have that excellence (as is visible from the people who not only got their accessories delivered but even installed) not everyone though.

Good luck here

Hey, wow, thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I have seen the stories about those who had great experiences; I guess I got unlucky. I might have just spoken to the wrong person in the service department too. You never know what someone is going through or what their burdens are. So, I try not to judge.

I will explore a few other options, but really thanks.