Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't install panels on Patio cover?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sanchez

Oct 28, 2018
Texas
Hey guys, I'm currently in the design phase and was quoted a 7.3 system. This is utilizing the most out of my roof and still only covers 80 percent of my usage. So before the design phase, I initially ask the rep what the process was for installing more panels later down the road since were going to be building a patio cover. He responds with a simple "it'll be another system, another contract that's all." So I'm under the impression that it's doable so we move forward to the design and this is where I'm told that we are maxed out on space. I'm doing the calculations and due to other factors, it would take several decades to break even. Here in Texas, paying .07 a kwh doesn't help either.

Now to the patio portion, the only way to benefit from it all was to wait until the patio cover is built and make my house a little more energy efficient. With the patio cover I'd be able to jump up to about 41 panels rather than 24. At this point, with a power wall or two, I can see a step forward. I tell my rep that were going to wait a bit and he loses it. I tell him it just makes financial sense and he refutes my statement. He claims that he's been a rep there for 3 years and that no one, absolutely no one has installed panels on a patio cover due to it being a liability, insurance issue and the cover wouldn't be able to support such weight. During his time there he claims that no one has ever installed panels on a patio cover and it won't happen because it does not replicate a house roof which has supporting beams underneath. I requested patio requirements that tesla requires for them to be able to install them. He said he will get back to me tomorrow.

Tldr - So my question here is does anyone have panels on their patio cover?

I installed my own patio cover and engineered it with the company who supplied it to specifically account for the added loads solar panels would add.

They even wrote me an engineering letter stating that it was engineered for the solar panels with an engineer stamp on it. About 6 months after installing the cover, I permitted and installed some panels, and had my city successfully sign off.

@Sanchez PM me if you want more details.

• Helpful
  • Love
Reactions: Ampster and Drax