Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla says I can't put solar panels on my rear porch roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is typical of Tesla at this stage of the process. It took a few iterations myself to get the correct information. You are on the right track, learning as much as you can and filtering out the mistakes the designer is making. The way I looked at it, at the most frustrating moments, was to consider the amount of money you'll have in your pocket vs using another provider. And, you will know your system inside and out before they arrive to install.

I'm still scratching my head on your utility limitations, or is that a state law regulation? That seems odd, but maybe it is more prevalent than I think it would be.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
This is typical of Tesla at this stage of the process. It took a few iterations myself to get the correct information. You are on the right track, learning as much as you can and filtering out the mistakes the designer is making. The way I looked at it, at the most frustrating moments, was to consider the amount of money you'll have in your pocket vs using another provider. And, you will know your system inside and out before they arrive to install.

I'm still scratching my head on your utility limitations, or is that a state law regulation? That seems odd, but maybe it is more prevalent than I think it would be.
Thanks - this forum and users like yourself have been very helpful. It is frustrating having to be my own project manager (but I am good at it lol) but the $$$ savings is astronomical going with Tesla like you said.

I am leaning toward just disregarding most of what my advisor said today. It is not state law; it is allegedly relating to my specific utility Duke Energy. The pic below is the only thing I could find from my utility that may be somewhat related to this 20 kW thing, but to me that snippet seems more about solar kW than BESS kW.

I got the plans myself and can see very clearly only one Powerwall is shown in multiple places in the document. My advisor at least didn't understand why my HVAC wouldn't be compatible with 3 Powerwalls. My house is only 2268 sq ft; this isn't a huge house in need of tons of power. It seems as though Tesla sent through to my account that my home could only be partially backed up as their own design plans only show one Powerwall. Hence all this confusion.

I have also learned in life people tend to BS when they don't know the correct answer and they expect you to be more ignorant than them and simply just accept it and move on. When you have an educated consumer such as myself, the advisor/sales person doesn't really know what to say so they end up just saying something that sounds like it could be correct but likely isn't. Most of these employees are new college grads or in their mid 20s and haven't had a lot of experience anyways.

So I'm taking everything I heard with a grain of salt. Hoping I'll get three PW3's and they won't change it to PW+/2!

1698430237147.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt-FL