Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't install the update 2019.40.2.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a similar thing happen about a year ago.
At that time, I had recently installed a new windshield, and the service provider did not install the Rain Sensor.
So, for a few months, every Software update would fail, because the Hardware tests were failing.

You may want to take the car to Tesla, and have them run a Diagnostic Check to see if it has stored Fault Codes.
Good Luck!

I had a similar thing happen about a year ago.
At that time, I had recently installed a new windshield, and the service provider did not install the Rain Sensor.
So, for a few months, every Software update would fail, because the Hardware tests were failing.

You may want to take the car to Tesla, and have them run a Diagnostic Check to see if it has stored Fault Codes.
Good Luck!

Ah! Thank you.
I do have the passenger door handle out of the car at the moment (long story short, Tesla approved body shop screwed it in a door repair), so that must be it.

Got it and download it this morning.
It's the second attempt to install it, but the installation fails...
Anyone had this before?
Any ideas?
Yup, I posted about this somewhere else. Some people had issues. Mine was so bad that it hung at about 60% and no amount of rebooting got it reinstall (or ignore it). During that time I lost AP, windshield wipers, and auto headlights, and maybe other things I didn't notice. I had to schedule a service appointment to get rid of it and go back to 2019.36 which is fine. Now a week later, the car wants to install it again. Nope, not letting it.

• Informative
Reactions: T.R.T.e.s.l.a.
Yup, I posted about this somewhere else. Some people had issues. Mine was so bad that it hung at about 60% and no amount of rebooting got it reinstall (or ignore it). During that time I lost AP, windshield wipers, and auto headlights, and maybe other things I didn't notice. I had to schedule a service appointment to get rid of it and go back to 2019.36 which is fine. Now a week later, the car wants to install it again. Nope, not letting it.

Why not ask Tesla to look at the install logs, see why it failed, fixed the bad part that is causing the install to have issues, and then get you upgraded to the latest one? You don't want to be on 2019.36 forever, right?

Why not ask Tesla to look at the install logs, see why it failed, fixed the bad part that is causing the install to have issues, and then get you upgraded to the latest one? You don't want to be on 2019.36 forever, right?

Thanks for suggestion. They did look at the logs at the service center. We understand the reason and it was the same quirk that they said 4 other customers had with this version. But after reading some of the issues, and no substantial improvements in features, I told them I don't want that version. 2019.36 was fine, and no I am not the type of person that wants every little update. Unless some major new features comes out, I'll be happy to sit on this version for a long time. It works great for me. :)
BTW, cute car icon on your profile.