Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone install Update 2023.44.30.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the notice to install this update I'm currently on 2023.44.1 but with the whole NHTSA stuff I don't wanna install an update that'll make the car suck like when they nerfed the supercharging speed of my old 85 pack and I didn't know till after it was installed.

Has anyone installed it and found out what it does. As always it just says minor fixes which means **** all nothing.

I got the notice to install this update I'm currently on 2023.44.1 but with the whole NHTSA stuff I don't wanna install an update that'll make the car suck like when they nerfed the supercharging speed of my old 85 pack and I didn't know till after it was installed.

Has anyone installed it and found out what it does. As always it just says minor fixes which means **** all nothing.

Here's your preview

New AutoPilot is horrible after update

I installed 2023.44.30.4 on my mid-2016 AP1 MS90D with MCU2 on Dec 19, which I believe is pretty similar to what I think you have judging by your signature line.

I put about 115 miles on it later that day, including a 110 mile interstate round trip (55 miles each way) using AP1 autopilot virtually the entire trip. I didn't really notice any appreciable difference to how I drive the car using AP1 autosteer, including no noticeable different in any "nag" behavior.

The only appreciable difference I did notice in this round trip drive is how alternate routes are shown in the NAV system. Before the alternate route options would show at first, but essentially soon as I started to drive, it take the primary suggestion as what I wanted and the alternate route(s) would disappear. Now, the alternate routes continue to show until you get past the point where the routes deviate, even if that was 20 or 30 miles into the trip. It was only after I passed the common point where the routes diverged that the alternate routes would disappear.

Your mileage may vary, so decide for yourself.

Reactions: ChooseFreedom
Um. 2023.44.30.X isn't too bad. The windshield wipers are fixed.

Most of the NHTSA stuff has to do with better monitoring of human beings and making sure they're not abusing, mainly, Standard Autopilot. Apparently, that 12-pitch font that send, "Autopilot won't brake" or the blue shades one would get when staring at the screen for too long wasn't Big Enough to (a) alert users that they're being idiots and (b) keeping the NHTSA happy (motto: We try the hopeless task of corralling idiots.)

I've been driving around with 11.4.9 FSD (and 2023.44.30.2) and haven't noticed anything unusual about the driver monitoring that's different from the previous11.4.4 load.

Now, I'm not sure about this, since a lot of the complaints are from the usual collection of trolls, but I've heard reports that the torque-y method of convincing the car that one has at least one hand on the wheel has been somewhat improved. One fellow stated that he hasn't had to pay attention to the wheel stuff since the update; but he also said that, on his older Model S, it used to be really hard to keep from disengaging. Over the past three days since I got the update, I haven't had any, "Put your hands on the wheel" alerts, but I don't get too many of those anyway.

well ****... i asked on that thread if he had AP1 or 2 because the guy below said AP1 was fine so maybe that guy has AP2 🤷‍♂️
I installed 2023.44.30.4 on my mid-2016 AP1 MS90D with MCU2 on Dec 19, which I believe is pretty similar to what I think you have judging by your signature line.

I put about 115 miles on it later that day, including a 110 mile interstate round trip (55 miles each way) using AP1 autopilot virtually the entire trip. I didn't really notice any appreciable difference to how I drive the car using AP1 autosteer, including no noticeable different in any "nag" behavior.

The only appreciable difference I did notice in this round trip drive is how alternate routes are shown in the NAV system. Before the alternate route options would show at first, but essentially soon as I started to drive, it take the primary suggestion as what I wanted and the alternate route(s) would disappear. Now, the alternate routes continue to show until you get past the point where the routes deviate, even if that was 20 or 30 miles into the trip. It was only after I passed the common point where the routes diverged that the alternate routes would disappear.

Your mileage may vary, so decide for yourself.
see this sounds good but the other post about the guy that had AP get disabled while driving is a bit worrisome.
Um. 2023.44.30.X isn't too bad. The windshield wipers are fixed.
What do you mean fixed? the hell was wrong with your wipers? or is that a problem you new car people have because your car isnt as awesome as us legacy cars with the actual stalks on the wheel that allows us to do basic operations

I installed the update, and not yet able to avoid steering wheel nagging when I first enable the FSD by pulling the stalk, within a second it nags. Afterwards, you just have to learn to pay more attention put torque on the steering wheel and it is not as forgiving as before.

What do you mean fixed? the hell was wrong with your wipers? or is that a problem you new car people have because your car isnt as awesome as us legacy cars with the actual stalks on the wheel that allows us to do basic operations
Um. So, traded in a 2018 M3 LR RWD on 9/28 for a 2023 M3 LR AWD.

Before the trade-in, was running FSD 11.4.7.something. There were some people on that release who complained that the wipers incessantly dry wiped; or didn't wipe in wet weather; or, when in wet weather, just didn't wipe at the appropriate speed. (Now, some of those people would have been trolls, but that's the 11.X FSD thread.)

I saw a bit of that; over the months of having that release (or closely related ones) I had, maybe, a total of 12 or so dry wipes. Period. On the other hand, that release worked Just Fine as far as wipers working, doing the appropriate thing in mist, rain, and torrents.

After getting the new car, which was running 11.3.7 or something, didn't have problems with the wipers at all, although, with it being an earlier FSD-b release, it had its (known) issues that the 11.4 branch was designed to fix. After a bit and a couple of updates, I ended up with FSD 11.4.4, which, at the time, was behind the usual collection of FSD-b releases for the Testing crowd, but was being shipped with all new cars. Never had a windshield wiper problem at all with 11.4.4.

The people currently running about with 2023.44.30.X and FSD 11.4.9 are reporting that their previous problems with 11.4.7.x and 11.4.8.x seem to be solved. Which is why I mentioned it. The OP was asking for advice, and the windshield wiper problems had been an issue on the FSD 11.X thread, and it now seems cured.

As far as that guy who got AP disabled: That's been a more-or-less standard feature of FSD for over a year now. Screw around, read books, take one's eyes off the road, watch videos on the cell phone, and all that jazz, and one is going to Get Strikes. In the beginning, Getting Struck Out (took around 5 shots) would mean for the FSD types that they wouldn't have access, at all, to FSD until a new point release came out. After that, it was, like, a month. Now I believe it's a week.

But, if you got someone who's actually getting strikes, then either that someone is doing some pretty unsafe driving or (less likelihood) has something wrong with the car. And that fits into the NHTSA schtick: There were people holding down the gas pedal and driving through stop signs and stop lights while on Standard Autopilot, then killing people. Tesla and the NHTSA has been in talks about this over a couple of years, so the alerts and better driver monitoring seem to be the solution.

So, natch, Tesla's apparently taken the field-proven "driver attention" module and pushed it onto the Standard Autopilot crowd. With luck, we'll have fewer cases of Death By Idiot.

I installed it yesterday and tried FSD on a drive to the airport (30 miles). Some things seemed better, others worse, but I didn't use it long enough to really see what improved. As usual, it frustrates me in traffic and eventually causes me to take over. 2023 MYP. For better, it seems maybe more sure of itself in making 90 degree turns. For worse, it just seems to do unnatural lane changes and the sudden braking around other cars is still a problem. Phoenix traffic, 8-lane freeways. It seems to wait too long to get over on the freeway to make exits when there is a lot of traffic between you and the exit. And it 'shakes off' my attempts at making lane changes using the turn signal a lot.

Um. So, traded in a 2018 M3 LR RWD on 9/28 for a 2023 M3 LR AWD.

Before the trade-in, was running FSD 11.4.7.something. There were some people on that release who complained that the wipers incessantly dry wiped; or didn't wipe in wet weather; or, when in wet weather, just didn't wipe at the appropriate speed. (Now, some of those people would have been trolls, but that's the 11.X FSD thread.)

I saw a bit of that; over the months of having that release (or closely related ones) I had, maybe, a total of 12 or so dry wipes. Period. On the other hand, that release worked Just Fine as far as wipers working, doing the appropriate thing in mist, rain, and torrents.

After getting the new car, which was running 11.3.7 or something, didn't have problems with the wipers at all, although, with it being an earlier FSD-b release, it had its (known) issues that the 11.4 branch was designed to fix. After a bit and a couple of updates, I ended up with FSD 11.4.4, which, at the time, was behind the usual collection of FSD-b releases for the Testing crowd, but was being shipped with all new cars. Never had a windshield wiper problem at all with 11.4.4.

The people currently running about with 2023.44.30.X and FSD 11.4.9 are reporting that their previous problems with 11.4.7.x and 11.4.8.x seem to be solved. Which is why I mentioned it. The OP was asking for advice, and the windshield wiper problems had been an issue on the FSD 11.X thread, and it now seems cured.

As far as that guy who got AP disabled: That's been a more-or-less standard feature of FSD for over a year now. Screw around, read books, take one's eyes off the road, watch videos on the cell phone, and all that jazz, and one is going to Get Strikes. In the beginning, Getting Struck Out (took around 5 shots) would mean for the FSD types that they wouldn't have access, at all, to FSD until a new point release came out. After that, it was, like, a month. Now I believe it's a week.

But, if you got someone who's actually getting strikes, then either that someone is doing some pretty unsafe driving or (less likelihood) has something wrong with the car. And that fits into the NHTSA schtick: There were people holding down the gas pedal and driving through stop signs and stop lights while on Standard Autopilot, then killing people. Tesla and the NHTSA has been in talks about this over a couple of years, so the alerts and better driver monitoring seem to be the solution.

So, natch, Tesla's apparently taken the field-proven "driver attention" module and pushed it onto the Standard Autopilot crowd. With luck, we'll have fewer cases of Death By Idiot.
Well I'm hoping it's only you AP2+ people that have the nag disabling. Because is AP1 folks tend to have it easier than you with AP things.
Your old car doesn't use the mind boggling Tesla Vision for wipers.
My car has a rain sensor around the windshield somewhere it's a part that gets replaced when the windshield gets replaced so probably near the AP1 camera but I dono for sure.

I have AP1 and MCU2. I installed that update and took a 180 mile all highway trip. I should have waited. No difference in the nags, however AP is now a bit harsh on braking, TACC frequently waits until the last possible second before it jams on the brakes (which is very unnerving), it now occasionally drifts over the line on the highway (both sides) and I cannot get blue tooth music streaming to work.

YMMV but in hindsight I should have waited for a later version. Apparently 2023.44.30.5.1 is already being rolled out so you may wish to wait.

I was trying to, but you Avatar made me dizzy so I gave up.