Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't Send Text With Voice Commands

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some may be unaware that messaging must be enabled in the Bluetooth settings in order to receive and reply text messages. I have also found that after updates this feature sometimes gets turned off. You get to the Bluetooth menu by tapping the Bluetooth symbol on the screen.

Mine has always been enabled. Never mattered, still never worked. I check it (and other settings) after each software update. So the issue lies somewhere else, apparently. But yes, it's always good to make sure it's enabled.

Mine has worked well, Android phone, and today it isn't. I get the same screen as the OP. My phone recently whacked out and wiped out my desktop icons and settings, so I'm not sure if I am missing some setting somewhere. Where do I look?
I don’t know about android, but I had major issues for a few days. Text not an option. I restarted the iPhone , forgot device on both my iPhone and my Model 3, re paired my phone, and its been working perfectly. Text messaging has to be enabled in the cars blue tooth. Good luck.

I have an iPhone 12 Pro. Mine worked flawlessly for about two months now. Was able to receive and send text messages. Was able to say “show me my text messages” and it will display.
A few days ago, I’ve noticed I’m not seeing an alert when I get a text message while driving. Today I’ve checked and it seems like the phone is not actually listed in the Bluetooth devices list anymore.
I tried everything I can to reconnect the phone back, resetting phone, resetting M3 computer. Finally somehow got it to paired again. No I ask to show me text messages, it’s showing me the same message OP posted. I didn’t get a sw update or anything. I have a pending update now, maybe I should update it and see if that fixes the issue.

I've also, today, started getting the "Text messaging supported on IOS 13/An..." error message reported above. I rebooted both the Tesla dashboard tablet (via holding both steering wheel buttons pressed), and the iPhone (full power off and on) after hotspot tethering started being flakey while streaming music. It was showing connected to the phone's WiFi but the Tesla media area was giving the generic "Premium connectivity expired, connect to wifi" error message. After the reboots, text messaging from voice commands was broken completely. Answering a call from the car also broke (connected the call but no call audio played). Car and phone are both fully updated. IOS 14.6 on iPhone Xs. 2020 Model 3 LR AWD. Side issue, the "seatbelt not buckled" icon had started spamming the screen on/off/on/off/on/off while my 7 month old baby was sitting her carseat, mounted in the car via LATCH tether system, until I finally just buckled the seatbelt around nothing to stop the alert spam on the tablet.

mine was fine from delivery (month ago,) then after update, i can receive text, answer the received text, but cannot initiate a text....deleted connection, reinstalled, rebooted, still no difference.......
The text messaging system (at least through 2021.24.4) is deficient in dealing with messages that aren't addressed from a phone # (vs. something like an Apple ID or login formatted as email address). The workaround seems to be to (assuming an iPhone... not sure about Android) to deselect anything other than your actual phone # from the options under Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. YMMV though - I can't verify since I'm not willing to make those changes when I've a semi-viable alternative in just using Siri.

Reactions: RNHurt
The text messaging system (at least through 2021.24.4) is deficient in dealing with messages that aren't addressed from a phone # (vs. something like an Apple ID or login formatted as email address). The workaround seems to be to (assuming an iPhone... not sure about Android) to deselect anything other than your actual phone # from the options under Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. YMMV though - I can't verify since I'm not willing to make those changes when I've a semi-viable alternative in just using Siri.
thanks!.... gonna try....

Reactions: RNHurt
I have the same problem with the same error message as the original poster - "Text messaging is supported on iOS 13" I'm using an iPhone 12 Pro, and just got my 2021 MYLR 2 weeks ago. Texting has never worked with iOS 14.x. I just upgraded to iOS 15.0.1, and will report back here if that solves the problem. Any other insights from others would be appreciated.

I'm sure this has to do with my new iPhone 12, but I can't figure out how to fix this issue.

I am unable to send text messages from my Model 3, using voice commands. The phone is connected, it can play music fine through the car and make phone calls, but when I try to send a text I get the message shown, below:

My Tesla app works fine with my phone, and I can't think of a reason it will give me this message. The frustrating part is that I can't expand the message to see all of it. It doesn't matter who I try to text, it won't work regardless.

Both my phone and Tesla are absolutely updated with the most recent software, by the way.

Any ideas? Anyone else running into this?
Hey I was having this issue as well. I think I've solved it. After several failed attempts this is what worked:
1) deleted my phone from the Tesla
2) deleted Tesla App from my phone
3) turned bluetooth off then on on my iphone
4) reinstalled Tesla App
5) tapped bluetooth icon on Tesla screen and searched for a new device to pair
6) paired my iphone as a new device to the tesla
7) on the iphone went to Settings-> Bluetooth -> Tesla and then tapped the "i"
8) Then make sure the following:
-Show Notifications is ON
-Sync Contacts is ON

Hope this helps. Seemed like there were some ghosts left in the machine if I didn't delete everything related to the tesla/iphone and bluetooth and address the issue from the standpoint of a clean slate. Good luck!

Hey I was having this issue as well. I think I've solved it. After several failed attempts this is what worked:
1) deleted my phone from the Tesla
2) deleted Tesla App from my phone
3) turned bluetooth off then on on my iphone
4) reinstalled Tesla App
5) tapped bluetooth icon on Tesla screen and searched for a new device to pair
6) paired my iphone as a new device to the tesla
7) on the iphone went to Settings-> Bluetooth -> Tesla and then tapped the "i"
8) Then make sure the following:
-Show Notifications is ON
-Sync Contacts is ON

Hope this helps. Seemed like there were some ghosts left in the machine if I didn't delete everything related to the tesla/iphone and bluetooth and address the issue from the standpoint of a clean slate. Good luck!
Thanks! I tried this twice, as the 1st try I must have screwed up... the 2nd try it still didn't work immediately, so I restarted my 3 (brake pedal & the two steering wheel roller switches depressed until the car restarts) and I've got my texting back. But I definitely have the send failed if I respond to a text.
We just got a brand-new Y. We were able to set it up to receive text messages, but it just shows "failed to send" in red when we try to reply...
I had that before I lost texting 100%, and still have it now that texting is fixed...