Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Text Wife" voice command not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

repling

Jun 17, 2022
USA
My wife is in my contact list as "Wife". When I give the voice command "text wife" the car hears my voice well, as it shows the command in the little green box, but it doesn't ever give me the box to dictate a text. Instead it just sends me to the Messages tab on the phone menu, as if it knows I was trying to send a text but couldn't figure out who to send it to.

Anyone else having this issue? Seems a bit silly that this command wouldn't work.

I dont believe that is going to work, because most modern phones also use those relationships to do stuff. On an iphone or modern android phone you dont have to have "wife" as your contacts NAME to say "hey siri / hey google text my wife". You setup those relationships on the phone.

You probably have setup those relationships on your phone, so its not going to work through the cars interface. Your choices are to either use the phones native voice recognition interface after you set it up (hey google / hey siri) but then you are not texting through the car interface, or to setup another contact for your wife that does not have the "already used" relationship of "wife" (perhaps a pet name / nickname) and use that.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
Me: Text wife
Wife:
26c544d05bd55396be1878d7ba86d537.gif

I dont believe that is going to work, because most modern phones also use those relationships to do stuff. On an iphone or modern android phone you dont have to have "wife" as your contacts NAME to say "hey siri / hey google text my wife". You setup those relationships on the phone.

You probably have setup those relationships on your phone, so its not going to work through the cars interface. Your choices are to either use the phones native voice recognition interface after you set it up (hey google / hey siri) but then you are not texting through the car interface, or to setup another contact for your wife that does not have the "already used" relationship of "wife" (perhaps a pet name / nickname) and use that.
I’m semi following you, except I’m almost certain that “Call wife” does work. I will confirm tomorrow and edit this post one way or the other.

I’m semi following you, except I’m almost certain that “Call wife” does work. I will confirm tomorrow and edit this post one way or the other.

That's exactly the case in my car. I created "wife" as a contact so that it only have 1 number (mobile) versus her name which has work and mobile. "Call wife" command works great, "text wife" does not work.

"wife" is more portable. ;)

I have an even worse problem. Since 'wife' didn't work, I changed her contact info to her name. But, there are two accepted spellings for it. TEXT uses the variant she uses, but CALL uses the other variant. So, I have to spell out her name to call her.

Hmm, guess I could add the two variants as separate contacts. Yuck.

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
Don’t mean to bump this, but I’m having the same issue. I originally had her name listed in my contacts, but Tesla couldn’t recognize the way her name was spelled (Mollie), so I tried wife. Any solutions to this?

My workaround was to add an alias contact with my wife's name spelled per the "call <name>" command feedback. (Fortunately she's not in the car when it comes up to see that.)

For the phone's custom ringtone to work, I had to give this alias contact the same ringtone. That took a while to figure out.

I've never sent a text message from the car so who knows if the alias will work for that.