Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texting from car.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
23 MY just picked up two weeks ago. The texting function seems to go just as it did in my 3 except that the text doesn't send and no texts are received. Oddly the message app in the car lists the texts I tried to send but they are not received by the recipient. I reported this to the tesla service center in Ft Myers, they gave me a long step by step process to fix this, the results were the same, no texts in or out. The phone is a Samsung S20 FE which worked fine on the 3. The phone connects to the car, phone calls in and out just fine, contacts show up just fine and as mentioned texting acts just like it did in the 3 except none are received nor are any sent even though the car says they were. I've given permissions to anything I can think may be remotely connect to the text function, no joy. Car is on 2023.12.400. Suggestions?

I have exactly the same problem! Have you learned anything new? Found any solutions?
My texting function worked fine in my previous car (model 3), just as yours did. I have an android Samsung Galaxy S22. I have spent literally several hours collectively on the phone with Tesla tech support: Turning everything on and off. Disconnecting and connecting, again and again. Then they tell me OK, now it should work fine. Hang up so I can test it, and of course, it still doesn't work. (Husband also traded up, to a Model S, and his texting is working fine. )
Is there any higher level of tech support to appeal to?

Apparently there is a new sms protocol and there's a problem with playing nice between car and phone.

I'm not affected and it doesn't affect my husband's new S23 so just glanced at some posts but don't know the details. It is a phone setting change you have to make, literally not using (IIRC) the contacts app that comes with your phones. I def could be wrong details but have seen the solution somewhere in TMC forums.

To troubleshoot the issue, open the Messages app > Tap the 3 dots in the top right > Settings > Chat Settings > Select Default Messaging Type > Text or Multimedia Messages > Resend Undelivered Chats > As Text or Multimedia Message. This is just to ensure that the affected contacts are not experiencing any compatibility issues with any chat features you have enabled. You could also try enabling Mobile Data to see if this helps, in case the messages are being converted to MMS format.