Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

can't stop unwanted premature initiation of new wifi connection - thwarting successful connection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ProtonopeSJ

Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2023
Saint John NB
I'm trying to connect my 2023 Model Y to a new wifi network to access the latest download with park assist. I can't get there because it won't let me enter all the new data for the new network before it begins an unwanted unrequested initialization. I did get it to forget the old network but I can't get the data for the new network entered successfully with this disruption. It appears my data are remembered in the data entry dialog even after the unsuccessful initializations but building on that I am still unable to incrementally build to a successful result. I have been VERY careful and have tried this many times, even cutting down the number of characters I enter between each initialization so no character is inadvertently missed at the start of one of these unwanted initializations. Other devices connect just fine to this network from in my garage but not my car. Signal strength is NOT the issue because the network comes from a perfectly working range extender right inside the garage. I want to KILL these premature initializations that are disrupting orderly data entry. Any ideas?

I had some fun with the Tesla and wifi recently, though I’m not sure it will help your specific problem. I have a Deco mesh network and the Tesla had a lot of issues with that. I think it was due to it not liking the mesh network and also having range issues at 5ghz and wasn’t switching over to purely 2.4ghz on its own. I would often have to reboot the car to get it to connect to the network. What finally, mostly, fixed it for me was creating a guest 2.4ghz only network with mesh disabled. I had to forget all the networks the car knew, reboot, and then have it connect to the new guest network which has helped.

I guess if I have advice it is to disable 5ghz if you can, forget all networks, reboot the car, and start from there. Hopefully someone else will have something better to offer.

Upvote 0
Mine went so smooth I'm not sure I follow what's happening. I can suggest this:

1) Maybe go elsewhere and create a hotspot on your phone using the matching SSID name.
2) Mesh networks and range extenders occasionally create multi-path problems. Personally I use multiple AP's on different channels for just that reason. You might try shutting down what repeaters;/mesh nodes you can just in case that's contributing to the problem.

Upvote 0
I'm trying to connect my 2023 Model Y to a new wifi network to access the latest download with park assist. I can't get there because it won't let me enter all the new data for the new network before it begins an unwanted unrequested initialization. I did get it to forget the old network but I can't get the data for the new network entered successfully with this disruption. It appears my data are remembered in the data entry dialog even after the unsuccessful initializations but building on that I am still unable to incrementally build to a successful result. I have been VERY careful and have tried this many times, even cutting down the number of characters I enter between each initialization so no character is inadvertently missed at the start of one of these unwanted initializations. Other devices connect just fine to this network from in my garage but not my car. Signal strength is NOT the issue because the network comes from a perfectly working range extender right inside the garage. I want to KILL these premature initializations that are disrupting orderly data entry. Any ideas?
Here is a fairly detailed Tesla wifi troubleshooting guide. I hope it helps.
WiFi Guide and Troubleshooter for Tesla Vehicles – TeslaTap.

Upvote 0