Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't Tesla Expand its Own Repair Shop?

Should Tesla Expand their Own Repair Shops with Full Control of Price like Supercharger expansion?

• Yes, it's about time.

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • No, leave it to authorized repair shops and take hands off from repairs

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A thought crossed my mind.

Just like superchargers are being expanded, why is Tesla neglecting the repair shops? Even if there are, they don't do all the repairs. For example, for paint chip, they sent me to other "authorized repair center". For $50~$100 worth work, they were charging me $2270. It wasn't even a dent or collision. Simple paint chip to be redone and they ask me for $2K+.

Leaving it to authorized repairs may save money for Tesla but it is not a good solution in the long run as these guys charge exorbitant amount for repair.

Why can't Tesla expand their repair centers and then control price? Elon mentioned before that Tesla Repair is not for profit. Is it because they won't get profit?

With Model 3 flooding by the end of the year, leaving the repairs to authorized body shops can damage the Tesla's brand image. Tesla Motors will face a serious consequence at this rate. Model 3 people waited this long and they may be a group of most impatient buyers compared to more generous Model S and X buyers.

Why can't Tesla build its own repair shop for complete repair and expand? Stocks keep rising, they had better work on this to keep the price in control.

What do you guys think?

Tesla service centers don't do body shop repairs. Neither does any ICE dealership service department-- they outsource that work to collision repair shops. This is how it should be-- leave the body and paint repair to the shops that have the equipment and expertise to do it. Tesla is busy enough expanding its service centers without trying to take on body shop work too. Besides they recently announced new online training for body shops to expand the number of authorized body shops.

Tesla service centers don't do body shop repairs. Neither does any ICE dealership service department-- they outsource that work to collision repair shops. This is how it should be-- leave the body and paint repair to the shops that have the equipment and expertise to do it. Tesla is busy enough expanding its service centers without trying to take on body shop work too. Besides they recently announced new online training for body shops to expand the number of authorized body shops.

Just because ICE dealership doesn't do so, should not be the standard.

When Tesla controls its own collision repairs as well, people may not have to wait months for parts.

It will be so interesting when Model 3 arrives.

A lot of ICE dealers have body shops built in.

With the Model 3 release they may have enough cars out there justify having body shops. The question is would they limit themselves to only Tesla repairs. Most body shops at dealers will work on all makes so they have enough business to pay for all the equipment. Perhaps once BEV become common enough their body shop could specialize in BEV repairs and not work on ICE cars. Other option would be to specialize in aluminum repairs.

For the most part I don't think they have enough business to have a body shop. Select locations they might have enough Tesla cars on the road in California to keep a body shop busy.