Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't watch embedded YouTube videos full screen lately

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

e-FTW

New electron smell
Aug 23, 2015
San Francisco, CA
This has started in the last two weeks. Can't switch videos to full screen. Other sites with embedded YouTube videos do not exhibit this behavior:
994D187B-D298-449F-A41C-B0B686D23696.jpeg

This is Safari on iOS 11.3 beta 5 or 6.

I'm seeing the same thing on iOS 11.3 (GA version, not a beta) on my iPad and iPhone as well. I'm pretty sure it's a change in iOS 11.3 and the YouTube playback engine. I also see this behavior on embedded video in the Apple News app. It's not just Safari on iOS, but rather an interaction with the video playback in general on iOS 11.3.

To get around it, touch the "YouTube" icon just to the left of the AirPlay icon. This will open the video on the YouTube web site, which does let you go to full-screen mode.

• Informative
Reactions: Cosmacelf and e-FTW
I'm seeing the same thing on iOS 11.3 (GA version, not a beta) on my iPad and iPhone as well. I'm pretty sure it's a change in iOS 11.3 and the YouTube playback engine. I also see this behavior on embedded video in the Apple News app. It's not just Safari on iOS, but rather an interaction with the video playback in general on iOS 11.3.

To get around it, touch the "YouTube" icon just to the left of the AirPlay icon. This will open the video on the YouTube web site, which does let you go to full-screen mode.
Yeah, thanks. I also noticed the News app. Wonder who needs to fix this, Apple or Youtube.
Good tip on the workaround.

Am thinking YouTube changed something, forcing more users to their app. You know, like some embedded videos will not let you watch at all without going to YouTube (seen on Jalopnik quite a bit).
This might have to do with advertising, or user data.

This is annoying.

Ok, so iOS 12 changed something in Safari, and full screen embedded YouTubes are back!
Watched the beginning of a video here over breakfast.

But then, it would not go back to full screen when I wanted to resume watching a few hours later. Refreshed the page, no-go. Had to tap the link to go to the YouTube app.
So it is kind of fixed?