Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Alarm Going Off "Randomly"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You should list out all your mods as it's starting to look like cascading failures.

Autofrunk, LED frunk strip, illumined door sills, rear footwell lights, and autopresent handles. Logic would state the handles are the culprit, and might be, but I’m not sold. Reason being they all work perfectly, and had been until today. Here me out now.

Ironically, it’s the door which I just had worked on via Teslas collision center. They had to repair a large gash in it that was there at delivery. I didn’t think of this until my wife reminded me a few ago. Go figure.

I hadn’t opened this door until today, as I only got the car back a week ago and it’s a door never used. Even now, the auto present handle works just as intended, but the door doesn’t know it’s shut. I’m wondering if the center didn’t hook something up correctly, or it became “open”due to the rain we just had, which is when my alarm started going off multiple times that day.

In the end, if they are the culprit, all good. I’m not losing sleep getting rid of them. But, they worked flawlessly until opening the door just worked on. As stated, even on the door that is “open”, they work as intended, it just won’t see the door as closed. Seems too ironic to me.

Last edited:
I don't know other than a bad puddle light, puddle light connection has been known to interfere with the door lock indicator.

I never touched the rear puddle lights 3rd party wise, and did test the light that’s in it and it seems to work fine. It’s illuminated and OEM. I guess it wouldn’t hurt trying another OEM one? Might as well!

Edit: Replaced the puddle light with an OEM I had around. No go.

Last edited:
Morning update.

Door is possessed. I’m guessing after a deep sleep, it reset something and the window went up during the night, door recognized as closed, and is now opening and shutting as advertised.

Could it have been a mod? Perhaps. Could it just have been a glitch? Perhaps. Is it working now after forgetting about it and going to bed last night? Yep. That’s Tesla for ya!

Thank you to @jjrandorin, @jcanoe, @thesmokingman for your comments and guidance. This community rocks and it’s because of people like you! Thanks!

Update. It happened again two nights ago. I deleted my wife’s phone from the car and boom, hasn’t happened since. Not sure if that’s the cause, but it’s ironic if not!
i am facing the same issue alarm keeps going off randomly..this happened two weeks after i installed autopresent door handles from Hansshow…would that be the culprit? What was your final resolution.

i am facing the same issue alarm keeps going off randomly..this happened two weeks after i installed autopresent door handles from Hansshow…would that be the culprit? What was your final resolution.

Id say the door handles are 100% the issue. Im not sure what I did right, but I did it, and it has not happened in over a year now. Things I noted when it happened:

1. My wifes account was also hooked to the car.
2. It was always raining when it happened.
3. It only happened at my house.
4. Sentry mode was always on when it happened.
5. Hansshow provided me an update, which I did.

So, I deleted my wifes account from the vehicle, took sentry mode off at home (Ring cam is on anyway), and updated the vehicle. One of them worked. Im leaning towards the update of course, as Ive been to hotels, etc., while raining with sentry on and never had an issue. I should just blame the wife, as usual though! HAHA

Hope this helps!

Reactions: Rovin
Id say the door handles are 100% the issue. Im not sure what I did right, but I did it, and it has not happened in over a year now. Things I noted when it happened:

1. My wifes account was also hooked to the car.
2. It was always raining when it happened.
3. It only happened at my house.
4. Sentry mode was always on when it happened.
5. Hansshow provided me an update, which I did.

So, I deleted my wifes account from the vehicle, took sentry mode off at home (Ring cam is on anyway), and updated the vehicle. One of them worked. Im leaning towards the update of course, as Ive been to hotels, etc., while raining with sentry on and never had an issue. I should just blame the wife, as usual though! HAHA

Hope this helps!
wow so much similarity....It only happened at my home and was raining the day before and the day during alarm...sentry mode was off though for me.