Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car and Driver Article on Tesla Range vs Competitors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Adjustment Factor Tesla Uses to Get Its Big EPA Range Numbers

I would like to point out that the "Adjustment Factor" they are referring to, really has to do with the Five Cycle Method for calculating fuel economy. Despite the tone of the article, Basically what Tesla did was they used more realistic test cycles to calculate their range.

The 2 Cycle Method uses the first two cycles shown below. The 5 cycle method, which Tesla uses, uses more realistic driving including actual acceleration onto an interstate style road (US06, 3rd image below). The 5th cycle is actually the first image shown here, FTP, but done at 20 degrees F / -7 degrees C instead of the usual 75 F / 23 C.

So Tesla wasn't being sneaky. They just used more realistic test cycles. ICE car fuel economy certification works the same way.

ftpdds.gif

hwfetdds.gif

us06dds.gif

sc03dds.gif

In my experience the flagship cars (S/X) were more honest regarding real world range. — Particularly the 60/75/90 era examples.

Model 3 wasn’t too far off in the original LR RWD config, but the dual motors are unusually thirsty despite “torque sleep” — There’s definitely some loss there.

I’m not saying that I haven’t been able to hit rated numbers but this has almost always been at speeds that would aggravate other drivers.