Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car and Driver review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Siry expects customers to change the battery pack after four years on average. The cost: $22,000 at current prices"

Ouch.

I've heard from some good sources that the battery pack doesn't last quite as long as Tesla says. (Tesla says 70% capacity after five years and 50k miles) I assume this is because laptop batteries are not designed to last a very long time, which is becaue laptops are usually replaced after four years!

But, there is something very positive to remember. This is only first-gen technology. HP output between a 70s V8 and a modern inline four is about the same. We just have to wait for the competition to pick up pace.

I've heard from some good sources that the battery pack doesn't last quite as long as Tesla says.

That's interesting. Would you care to share who these "good sources" are? Don't take this as hostile, but this is how rumours get started - from "good sources". In the Age of the Internet, full and open disclosure is usually a good policy to follow in matters such as this.

It was a certain someone who talked to a certain someone important at Tesla. A VP or something like that.

Now that Siry said (or at least Car and Driver said he said) that he expects the batteries to last four years, that means that Tesla's numbers posted on their website are probably a bit exagerrated. It's not a huge deal. Companies exagerrate. That certain someone said that the batteries would last around four years, instead of the numbers Tesla puts on their FAQ, and it just so happened that this certain someone was (or at least appears to be) right.

I still don't see any actual exageration. They've said 5 years shelf life, and about 100 000 miles = about 80% capacity. Better battery management than what most laptop users do should be able to keep it at around this point. The fact that DS assumes most drivers will drive quite a lot in their car and hence us up that 100k miles part after X number of years (4 in this case) isn't lying. Add to this that Tesla probably in about 3-4 years time will offer a significantly better/cheaper battery then now and for their rich clientele buying the Roadster it makes a lot of sense.

Cobos

... Tesla probably in about 3-4 years time will offer a significantly better/cheaper battery then ...

I keep asking.

If the first car and battery pack was introduced in June of 2006 then why are cars coming out now or being delivered in 1st Q 2009 incresing in original statered mileage?

We keep hearing 8% better and X amount cheaper.

Well, weren't the first quotes on the battery pack in the $30K range and now down to $20K and falling - isn't this in line with the thoughts here ? Am I mistaken on my recollections ? We do not know if the range has increased since inception in 2005 or not because there has only been 1 test for official miles per "gallon" right ? Perhaps the first EP did not get 224 miles to the charge ...

When the manufacturer of electric car touts his car as being comparable to established supercars. Its only normal that the European press will put an electric car in a top speed sitiation, as well as high speed acceleration.

The Roadster is a good 0 to 60 street fighter and starts to shut down at high speed. Not really comparable to the supercars that were used for strictly acceleration comparisons.

As a quick burst of acceleration and speed street fighter the Roadster is hard to beat.

Cool photos!!!

It would make sense that the fault light is on, the car was backed down to 105mph and 12,000 RPM from running flat out. Not much battery left...did it go into limp home mode?

Nice!

Using 421 amps at 105 mph. Is that a fault light on?

At 105 mph we can safely assume the motor is getting almost full voltage - 375V - translating into 150kW of power. I'd guess at the moment that picture was taken, he was flooring it. The motor is said to be 80% efficient under heavy load, meaning 120kW is going into the road and 30kW into heat.

Yes, fault light is on. Peak power is showing its teeths - inadequate cooling for constant power at such high levels. Removing 30kW of heat with air only from such a small and enclosed space is very hard bordering on imposible.

Has anyone seen anything on the methods of cooling large locomotive electric motors? It would be interesting to see how they keep their rotors from melting.