Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings,

Planning a trip through British Columbia and Alberta, and wondering about getting an outdoor car cover for my Model S. It may be parked outside, and there are the occasional rain storms (and sometimes even hail) that can occur in the summer. Just thinking about protecting it from the elements.

Do you have an outdoor cover that you recommend? Any suggestions are welcome...

This company makes a wide variety of car covers Custom Car Covers | California Car Cover Co. Official Site

However, I think this one is probably the best Model S cover Tesla — Model S Outdoor Car Cover

The problem with outdoor covers is that if you use them on a dirty car then they get dirty on the inner surface, and the next time you use them that dirt contact your paint.

I only use mine (which is the one Tesla sells) when my S is clean and I'm not going to be using my car for many days, like when I will be away on a non-driving vacation.

• Informative
Reactions: rhumbliner
It IS a car, and it's designed to be outside in the elements. Similar to what @ecarfan said, you want to be careful about using an outdoor cover, especially if you take it off and on much. If the car was spotless, and the cover was spotless, and you wanted to store the car for a long time, then it would make sense, otherwise I wouldn't recommend it. We specifically did NOT use an exterior cover on our airplane for this reason, dirt and dust invariably get under the cover, wind blows, and you get scratched windows and paint. If you want to protect the interior from UV, just put sunshades in the windows if it's going to be left in the sun for several days.

I considered the Tesla outdoor cover as it has the venting and charging port etc. However the large printed TESLA wording was a bit gaudy, so I bought this one from eBay for $32 (LOL). It fits pretty well (especially as it is generic), is lightweight, waterproof, and has elasticated front and rear to locate it under my MS front and rear bumpers. Only thing that I was really disappointing in was the length of the straps - if you want to use them, they are not long enough to go under the car and connect together.

Black Car Cover For Tesla Model S and Model X

Attachments

• Tesla Cover Pic - Frt.jpg
    Tesla Cover Pic - Frt.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 120
  • Tesla Cover Pic - Rr.jpg
    Tesla Cover Pic - Rr.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 86
Thanks for the links, Betc95 - some of those pliable garages are pretty neat! Probably a bit too much for single night-overs outside, but cool nonetheless.

Norfolk, that car cover looks pretty good for the price. Looks like it has good features as well.

mrElbe, agree with you re: hail.

If only someone made a car cover that was 1) hail-proof, 2) doesn't scratch the paint, 3) lightweight, and 5) cheap....

I considered the Tesla outdoor cover as it has the venting and charging port etc. However the large printed TESLA wording was a bit gaudy, so I bought this one from eBay for $32 (LOL). It fits pretty well (especially as it is generic), is lightweight, waterproof, and has elasticated front and rear to locate it under my MS front and rear bumpers. Only thing that I was really disappointing in was the length of the straps - if you want to use them, they are not long enough to go under the car and connect together.
That cover looks like it does not fit snugly and would blow off in a stiff wind.

The Tesla Motors cover fits perfectly and needs no additional straps to secure it. Also, the inner lining is very soft and won't scratch the pain, assuming you keep it clean and only use it when the car is clean.

The real problem with very loose covers like that is that when it's windy they move and flap and beat any dirt on the car or on the inside of the cover into the paint and produce scratches.

It's your car, but I would not use a cover like that on a $90,000 automobile, it's going to damage the paint. Unless where you live there is no wind.

The real problem with very loose covers like that is that when it's windy they move and flap and beat any dirt on the car or on the inside of the cover into the paint and produce scratches.

It's your car, but I would not use a cover like that on a $90,000 automobile, it's going to damage the paint. Unless where you live there is no wind.

I only really put the cover on if it's going to sit for a bit and the car, as you say, is clean. I have a couple of other (relatively expensive) cars with OEM covers and on the occasion that they are outside with a cover, they seem just as susceptible to wind.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts/suggestions. Those 'bubble' covers are something else!

Thanks MorrisonHiker for the Hail Protector link. Caligula, where did you find that bubble protector?

ecarfan, I agree with you re: potential paint damage. But I also can relate to Norfolk's economical approach.

Is there any inexpensive outdoor cover that is as safe on the paint as the Tesla brand outdoor cover?