Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

car damaged @ delivery center ... what to do

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

astrorob

stealth performance M3
Aug 27, 2014
oakland, ca
i got a call 2 days ago that my P3D- would be available to pick up today @ fremont, 13 december.

on 12 december the delivery center called and said they noticed 'a dent' in the car and would need another day to repair the car; delivery was re-scheduled for 14 december.

got a call today saying it will take until next wednesday, 18 december to deliver the car now.

given that this delivery center is across the street from the factory, it seems like incredibly bad luck that the car was somehow damaged in transit.

on the one hand it seems that this car is going to get a 2nd round of paint/body QC and stands a chance of being in excellent shape when delivered. on the other hand, although they have been honest about the problem, i assume it will be impossible to know just how badly the car was damaged, and whether or not the problem was more than cosmetic.

any ideas about what to ask? does tesla have an actual process for documenting delivery problems? if for some reason the paint turns out to be poorly cured or otherwise have longevity problems, i don't want to be dinged for it at the end of the lease.

are there any consumer protection laws that would prevent tesla from selling this car as new if it needed repairs right out of the factory?

if i refuse the car i'm sure some unlucky person will take it without knowing the history...

thanks - astrorob

• Disagree
Reactions: Nole
Dont worry, if it looks perfect. I got a Corvette one time off the showroom floor. It was damaged, but u couldn't see it. Chevy paid me 50 percent back. They repainted the nose. If they repair, it looks perfect, I'd take it. Waiting makes your mind wander.

Consider yourself lucky. I took delivery of a vehicle this week in a dark unlit parking lot, in the rain. Did a walk around and looked at all the panels around the body.

When I got home, and the car was in a well lit garage, saw a few dents on the hood. Very noticeable in light. I am still kicking myself for not looking carefully there, who would have thought damage could happen from above.

It’s a nightmare to deal with post delivery even though I sent pictures the night of the delivery. I’m mostly just being bounced around now.

Consider yourself lucky your delivery center caught it.

• Helpful
Reactions: astrorob
thanks for the replies all,

yes - i am grateful that they caught it but given all the stories about cars delivered with scratches/dents, my feeling is that whatever happened to the car must have been serious or else they would not have done anything about it. so i was wondering if something similar happened to anyone else here and how it was resolved.

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
It’s actually rare for Tesla to notice this stuff prior to delivery. Most often they rely on the buyer identifying flaws because they are too busy to do a thorough inspection prior to the delivery date. I wouldn’t be worried at all on this one. It’s a lease anyway and you don’t even have the option purchase it so who really cares about this stuff if it’s not visible.

• Helpful

yes - i am grateful that they caught it but given all the stories about cars delivered with scratches/dents, my feeling is that whatever happened to the car must have been serious or else they would not have done anything about it. so i was wondering if something similar happened to anyone else here and how it was resolved.

I wouldn’t necessarily let my mind go there about the seriousness of it. My last car went in for service at a Toyota dealership and when I went to pick up walked around it (everyone should make a point of doing this) and the passenger door was dented and bumper trim damaged plus the car had non-matching paint in that area. Yep, one of their staff went to move another car in their crowded service lot and hit into mine. They initially tried to imply I brought it in that way and when they scanned their security cam footage said they saw when it happened and the worker admitted it could have been him.

The Toyota dealership BTW doesn’t do repairs like this, just like Tesla’s Delivery Centers, and I had to wait another week while they sent it off to a body shop that does all their repairs. The dent and scratch area BTW wasn’t massive so good chance the same could be true for your car. Good luck on picking it up and hope it looks perfect. As others mentioned, cars come off the trailers or get damaged in moving them around the storage area and most people aren’t told and never realize their car was repaired before delivery.

thanks, yes i supposed given all the cars sitting in the delivery center that they may have just bumped into it with another car.

i was under the impression the car was going back to the factory for fixes but maybe it is just going to some body shop?

thanks, yes i supposed given all the cars sitting in the delivery center that they may have just bumped into it with another car.

i was under the impression the car was going back to the factory for fixes but maybe it is just going to some body shop?

Likely the Tesla Body Shop on Mabury in SJ. My husband had his car there when some hit our car backing out of parking space and can’t tell where the dent and paint work was done.

• Informative
OP.

If you are indeed leasing as some have mentioned, I wouldnt worry about it very much. If you were purchasing the car, I might want to go down there and get a real explanation on what happened, but since its a lease and you currently cant buy it at the end, I would just let it go and plan on enjoying the car when you get it.

If it were me, however, I would tell them that I "keep re arranging my life around to make these deliveries so that it was causing me some major inconvenience with the moving of dates, so can we nail it down, or what can we do to ensure I get a car delivered on the date promised?"

Something like that... and see what they offer then.

OP.

If you are indeed leasing as some have mentioned, I wouldnt worry about it very much. If you were purchasing the car, I might want to go down there and get a real explanation on what happened, but since its a lease and you currently cant buy it at the end, I would just let it go and plan on enjoying the car when you get it.

If it were me, however, I would tell them that I "keep re arranging my life around to make these deliveries so that it was causing me some major inconvenience with the moving of dates, so can we nail it down, or what can we do to ensure I get a car delivered on the date promised?"

Something like that... and see what they offer then.

yes, that is true about leasing. i guess from reading here i've heard about paint quality problems, so i wouldn't want to get dinged at the end of the lease for something paint-related when i had nothing to do with it. beyond that, you are right, tesla owns the car and modulo wear and tear or damage that i cause, the car is their problem.

anyway if the date slips again, i am doomed, that is for sure.

it was the same person that called me both times to inform me of the delay... i did let him know that if it slipped again it would be a disaster. however, not sure that this person has any authority to expedite anything. he did say that if it's done earlier then they will let me pick it up before the new date.

i know they are busy down there today with the new owners' workshop so maybe i'll call in tomorrow and see what's going on.

While I was waiting for my car’s delivery, someone here posted that they were just short of getting theirs when someone at the delivery center backed one of the cars into theirs. So close to driving home with a grin. Sometimes not your day. Let us know how it turns out.

As for going back to the factory I assume you haven’t been on a tour there. No way would they stop production line to repair individual cars. Doubt any manufacturer does. BTW if new Tesla owner you’ll now be able to schedule an owner tour of the factory. So far once per year and you can bring 3 people with you. Enjoyed our tour very much. Amazing to see the giant robots in action. Also enjoyed the stamping machine. A lot of employees making it happen. Great to experience.

• Helpful
yes, that is true about leasing. i guess from reading here i've heard about paint quality problems, so i wouldn't want to get dinged at the end of the lease for something paint-related when i had nothing to do with it. beyond that, you are right, tesla owns the car and modulo wear and tear or damage that i cause, the car is their problem.

anyway if the date slips again, i am doomed, that is for sure.

it was the same person that called me both times to inform me of the delay... i did let him know that if it slipped again it would be a disaster. however, not sure that this person has any authority to expedite anything. he did say that if it's done earlier then they will let me pick it up before the new date.

i know they are busy down there today with the new owners' workshop so maybe i'll call in tomorrow and see what's going on.

I think if it was me, I would have went to the new owners workshop so I could corner someone there to check in on it, lol. My experience with tesla is, when you are in person, they are usually pretty good. Especially if one acknowledges that the person in front of you is likely harried, and getting yelled at all day. If your nice to them when you ask for what you need, they normally bend over backwards for you (in person).

While I was waiting for my car’s delivery, someone here posted that they were just short of getting theirs when someone at the delivery center backed one of the cars into theirs. So close to driving home with a grin. Sometimes not your day. Let us know how it turns out.

As for going back to the factory I assume you haven’t been on a tour there. No way would they stop production line to repair individual cars.

right i didn't think they would put it back thru the line or anything but thought that they must have a final QA/touchup area that might be able to make the repair. but yeah if they have an outfit in SJ then it makes sense that it would go there.

I think if it was me, I would have went to the new owners workshop so I could corner someone there to check in on it, lol. My experience with tesla is, when you are in person, they are usually pretty good. Especially if one acknowledges that the person in front of you is likely harried, and getting yelled at all day. If your nice to them when you ask for what you need, they normally bend over backwards for you (in person).

well... sure. i was planning on just being there since the revised appointment was for today @ 3:30 and the workshop started at 3. they sent me an email about the workshop just after my original pickup had been scheduled for friday. i never RSVPd for it because it didn't seem like something i needed to be officially part of (prioritizing delivery after already delivered?). after they pushed my delivery to next wednesday, i clicked the link and it said the workshop was full. i guess i didn't think my status as a disappointed deliveree would give me rights to crash the thing.

anyway i'm sure it will work out. there's stilll 2 more days if they miss wednesday.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin

From everything I have learned about TESLA, they are more interested in doing the right thing. Think about how they are constantly improving the vehicles using over the air updates and NOT charging for it. Any other manufacturer is charging to get the maps in their cars navigation systems updated. Transparency is sign of honest dealing. I would not worry about it. Another thing to consider is their factory warranty; it is really good. It is so good that I have decided to get a Model 3 next year for my wife. I only recently became interested in owning a Tesla after the truck came out and as a result my wife became interested in owning a blue Model 3. I really hope you enjoy your new vehicle. The anticipation of getting my truck is similar to the sensation I had as a child anticipating the arrival of Christmas morning.
Hooray for vehicles that we will love to drive!