Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car does not unlock nor open trun

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2018 S does not unlock,not with either fob nor using the app. Nothing happens. The trunks will not unlock. The doors will not unlock. The handles do not pop-out. As I just bought this car, I don't know what to do except take taxi cabs and Ubers. Can anyone help with this?

It could be the 12 volt battery is dead.

The first link is how to get to the battery if it is dead and you cannot get into the car. It involves prying the right, and then the left front inner wheel well to expose the emergency frunk cable releases (two steps). Once you get the frunk open you can follow the videos in step two to jump the battery and unlock the car. This link is how to Jump Start the battery, and lists the tools needed.
The other thing is to call Tesla and have the car flat bedded to the dealer to fix it. Since you can't raise it up, put it in neutral, or put it in tow mode, your tow person probably will need wheel dollies to move the car onto the flat bed. Be careful.

1)

2) How to Jumpstart a 2012-2019 Tesla S 2017 Tesla S 90D Electric

Last edited:
Thank you, Dave.

I recently had the local Tesla mobile service rep come to the car about another issue - the driver's door handle does not always pop out; he didn't know how to resolve that. But, he suggested that I not charge the car every night and do it occasionally based on the amount of driving I do. So, the car is plugged in only once a week or so. This may be leading to the 12-volt battery being drained with all the other possible draws on it. He suggested this as a way to prolong the life of the battery. Maybe, that advice is not the best if my assumption is correct.

I believe Tesla recommends the battery remain plugged in whenever possible. The 12 volt battery may need replacement in yours anyway, and mobile service charges under $250 to do it, including the battery -- not a bad price at all. That would be an option as well. My Sammy is over 10 now, but still a puppy. Looks the same, only big and fuzzy now. He is gorgeous.

Thank you, Dave.

I recently had the local Tesla mobile service rep come to the car about another issue - the driver's door handle does not always pop out; he didn't know how to resolve that. But, he suggested that I not charge the car every night and do it occasionally based on the amount of driving I do. So, the car is plugged in only once a week or so. This may be leading to the 12-volt battery being drained with all the other possible draws on it. He suggested this as a way to prolong the life of the battery. Maybe, that advice is not the best if my assumption is correct.
Actually that's not true. HV battery maintains the 12V plugged in or not.

Leaving it plugged in vs not plugged in doesn't change much. Only thing it will do is it will occasionally top off the HV every several days. Unless you lower the target charge well below current state of charge.

If you don't drive that often don't set the target charge level very high, like 70%.

mswlogo, that is what I do on days of local travel -- I charge to 60 or 70 percent. Gives me enough range for normal and emergency local driving situations. I do keep it plugged in. That way, if I open a door or something, it takes the power from the wall connector at low amps to power the car even if I have it set for scheduled charging at a different time. I can also hear cooling and heating fans when it is connected sometimes as I walk by, and I am pretty sure these don't run as often when it is not connected. I think it tries to keep the HV battery in optimum condition, summer or winter.

mswlogo, that is what I do on days of local travel -- I charge to 60 or 70 percent. Gives me enough range for normal and emergency local driving situations. I do keep it plugged in. That way, if I open a door or something, it takes the power from the wall connector at low amps to power the car even if I have it set for scheduled charging at a different time. I can also hear cooling and heating fans when it is connected sometimes as I walk by, and I am pretty sure these don't run as often when it is not connected. I think it tries to keep the HV battery in optimum condition, summer or winter.
Opening the door does not power the car from the wall. Fans don’t change either. You might hear fans more often if it’s actually charging. If it’s on the edge of charging opening the door might wake it early and it might start to top off sooner than if you left it.

Wall connector either charges HV or doesn’t.

In general it’s not gonna change much.

One area I think it does help leaving it unplugged is battery heating. I think it’s more efficient to let the car drop say 30 miles and heat it up once to top it off. Versus letting the car heat the battery say 3 times to top off 10 miles over 3 sessions. But I use my car enough that, that never happens.

Opening the door does not power the car from the wall. Fans don’t change either. You might hear fans more often if it’s actually charging. If it’s on the edge of charging opening the door might wake it early and it might start to top off sooner than if you left it.

Wall connector either charges HV or doesn’t.

In general it’s not gonna change much.

One area I think it does help leaving it unplugged is battery heating. I think it’s more efficient to let the car drop say 30 miles and heat it up once to top it off. Versus letting the car heat the battery say 3 times to top off 10 miles over 3 sessions. But I use my car enough that, that never happens.
When I open the car and the AC or heater powers on, the wall connector starts at low amps, every time, as it should. It does not charge the HV battery at 8 amps, and I agree it is not because of the drain on the 12V, but it is supplying the HV power for the few car accessories that use the HV battery. I will film this if you wish. Maybe yours is broken.

When I open the car and the AC or heater powers on, the wall connector starts at low amps, every time, as it should. It does not charge the HV battery at 8 amps, and I agree it is not because of the drain on the 12V, but it is supplying the HV power for the few car accessories that use the HV battery. I will film this if you wish. Maybe yours is broken.
I actually keep my HVAC Off by default so I don't waste the power. I only Heat or Cool if I'm in it, driving.