Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car has been on for 4 hours notification?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I woke up this morning and got that notification from the car.

"Maximus has turned off because it has been on for more than 4 hours".

What does that mean? I didn't drive that car all day yesterday and when I got home the night before the car was off. I have noticed that since the last update, the heating system seems to have a mind of its own. Turns on randomly and sometimes won't turn off easily. Could that be it?

It's under "Vehicle" in the controls menu.
"Smart Preconditioning: If on, Model S learns your driving schedule and automatically prepares your vehicle to drive. This minimizes the pause that you may experience as Model S powers up."
Basically, if you leave the house at a certain time each morning, it warms the car up based on a learned schedule. If you took the day off today because of the holidays, then the car will have turned off preconditioning after 4 hours.

It's under "Vehicle" in the controls menu.
"Smart Preconditioning: If on, Model S learns your driving schedule and automatically prepares your vehicle to drive. This minimizes the pause that you may experience as Model S powers up."
Basically, if you leave the house at a certain time each morning, it warms the car up based on a learned schedule. If you took the day off today because of the holidays, then the car will have turned off preconditioning after 4 hours.

That makes total sense. Thank you!

I woke up this morning and got that notification from the car.

"Maximus has turned off because it has been on for more than 4 hours".

What does that mean? I didn't drive that car all day yesterday and when I got home the night before the car was off. I have noticed that since the last update, the heating system seems to have a mind of its own. Turns on randomly and sometimes won't turn off easily. Could that be it?
Is it possible you opened the door and didn't close it all the way? That would've woken the car up and prevented it from sleeping. Sounds like they added a 4 hour time limit to prevent it from draining the battery completely.