Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car in for service for other repairs (collision repair), was given a new battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, I'd like to say that I absolutely love my local Tesla shop. I have never experienced such great service in my auto owning career - and the Tesla is #17 for me (yes... that's seventeen), including luxury brands such as Infiniti and BMW.

Now I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, as this is a first for me and have never heard of this one before: My vehicle was involved in a rear-end collision recently and the damage was nowhere near the battery so it did not result in frame or battery damage, just bumper/trunk. The vehicle had to stay in the Tesla shop for about 2 weeks due to insurance inspections and parts arriving for replacement. It looks like someone forgot to keep the SOC at a decent level and let it completely die out, down to 0% and to a point where it wouldn't turn on again. Apparently, when that happens while the vehicle is in a Tesla SC, it prompts a requirement to replace the battery.

I went to pick up my vehicle today and was told I have a brand new battery.

Reactions: Pkmmte
First, I'd like to say that I absolutely love my local Tesla shop. I have never experienced such great service in my auto owning career - and the Tesla is #17 for me (yes... that's seventeen), including luxury brands such as Infiniti and BMW.

Now I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, as this is a first for me and have never heard of this one before: My vehicle was involved in a rear-end collision recently and the damage was nowhere near the battery so it did not result in frame or battery damage, just bumper/trunk. The vehicle had to stay in the Tesla shop for about 2 weeks due to insurance inspections and parts arriving for replacement. It looks like someone forgot to keep the SOC at a decent level and let it completely die out, down to 0% and to a point where it wouldn't turn on again. Apparently, when that happens while the vehicle is in a Tesla SC, it prompts a requirement to replace the battery.

I went to pick up my vehicle today and was told I have a brand new battery.

Two weeks shouldn't drain the battery completely... Something shorted?

Two weeks shouldn't drain the battery completely... Something shorted?

I turned it in around 50% and they never turned Sentry Mode off. It sat in the shop draining and beyond 20%, it just kept draining. Eventually, it just died.

That may be just a new 12V battery, not a new main battery pack. The main battery should survive for months after hitting 0%.

Just called to confirm, it was, in fact, the 12V battery.