Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car in transit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car is being shipped across the country. I have 3 question. 1. Since the car was loaded on the truck, it showed the location being where the car was picked up. My only guess is that the car does not update its location unless it is in Drive mode. Does anyone know if that is the case and if there is any work around so I track where the car is? 2. I turned on Sentry mode and got alerts every couple of minutes. I presume that the jostling of the truck is enough to set off sentry mode alerts? 3. Starting this morning, 3 days after the car was picked up, I can no longer wake up the car. When I was last able to wake up the car, yesterday afternoon, the battery had over 200 miles of range.

...any work around so I track where the car is...

Tesla routinely turns off its remote access when it's in its possession so owners can't track it.

Since you could, someone in Tesla is not following the protocol.

You are correct that your car location shows the last driving session and it is not revised if it's flatbed towed.

Even Tesla staff has a hard time locating your car so I don't see how an owner can do it better than a staff can.

I've heard that the location only gets updated when the car's wheels are turning. If it is on a truck or train there is no update. Sentry is triggered by motion, so it might be getting triggered by the cars passing or scenery changing. In either case, if there is a USB plugged in, it will be full.

des16- i had the same issue when i took the Auto Train, to/from WashingtonDC/Orlando. As I was on the trip south, i tried to access the location, and it still showed as being near washington where i got on the train, and where they loaded the car on to the back. i got nervous and thought they forgot to load my car. But, when i got off the train in florida it was safely delivered off the back of the train. the same occurred on the trip north.

So, i tend to believe that mazers is correct, and the location only updates when the wheels are turning.
hope this helps

I've heard that the location only gets updated when the car's wheels are turning. If it is on a truck or train there is no update. Sentry is triggered by motion, so it might be getting triggered by the cars passing or scenery changing. In either case, if there is a USB plugged in, it will be full.

You will not get a notification from motion.

My car is being shipped across the country. I have 3 question. 1. Since the car was loaded on the truck, it showed the location being where the car was picked up. My only guess is that the car does not update its location unless it is in Drive mode. Does anyone know if that is the case and if there is any work around so I track where the car is? 2. I turned on Sentry mode and got alerts every couple of minutes. I presume that the jostling of the truck is enough to set off sentry mode alerts? 3. Starting this morning, 3 days after the car was picked up, I can no longer wake up the car. When I was last able to wake up the car, yesterday afternoon, the battery had over 200 miles of range.
This one is easy. The alarm pissed the driver off. He disconnected the 12v battery

Reactions: bedoig
I might be off base, but I'm reading OP's statement as he's shipping his own car, not that the car is being shipped by Tesla. #1 and #2 questions have been answered, but #3 does seem disconcerting.

You are correct, I am shipping the car, not Telsa. Yes, issue #2 has been addressed -- thanks to all. And yes, #3 is still a concern. The broker has not been able to give me any details as to where the truck is, or why it will take 8 days to get from SLC to upstate NY. A little bit disconcerting. Next time I just drive it -- but work got in the way this time.

This one is easy. The alarm pissed the driver off. He disconnected the 12v battery
I hope not because the Model 3 locks itself even if the frunk or the trunk is open, unless you keep a door ajar.
By the time the driver would have find the 12 V battery and used some socket to disconnect the wires the car would be locked.
Then, unless you break a window, you cannot open a door unless you plug again the 12 V (after opening the trunk using a small battery).

I think the truck driver might have moved the Model 3 from the upper deck to the lower deck, after doing some delivery.
So it's like a faraday cage and the radio signal cannot reach the antenna.
(I believe the cell antenna is located of the top windshield where are the cameras.)

Right...but if the cameras detect motion, they just record. No alert it sent to your phone.
Would the jostling of the truck, which I guess can be pretty substantial, be sufficient to trigger the alerts. I have been using Sentry mode for weeks while I had the car, and never got an alert -- although, plenty of clips recored on my 256 SD drive. Now, as soon as I activate Sentry Mode, I get one alert after the other.

Would the jostling of the truck, which I guess can be pretty substantial, be sufficient to trigger the alerts. I have been using Sentry mode for weeks while I had the car, and never got an alert -- although, plenty of clips recored on my 256 SD drive. Now, as soon as I activate Sentry Mode, I get one alert after the other.

I'm currently running some tests and hope to have a video soon, but on 8.5 sentry seems pretty difficult to activate to the point of alarm/sending a phone notification. I have found one way to reliably activate it tho. I hope to find more.