Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car not always unlocking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if anyone's asked similar, but I've got an android phone and sometimes the car doesn't seem to unlock, I've got to start the app up. Is there a better solution, as I don't think it's deep sleeping the app.

I've upgraded android phones recently - from a Samsung M51 to A52s. The old M51 used to work flawlessly, but I'm having the same issues as you describe with the new phone...

I've checked app, bluetooth & NFC settings between the two and they're the same.

My working theory is that my new handset has worse bluetooth range.

I've upgraded android phones recently - from a Samsung M51 to A52s. The old M51 used to work flawlessly, but I'm having the same issues as you describe with the new phone...

I've checked app, bluetooth & NFC settings between the two and they're the same.

My working theory is that my new handset has worse bluetooth range.
Not sure on range, Bluetooth has a decent amount, also I've got a smart watch and that's connected a few rooms away to my phone with no issues. Be interesting to see if iPhone users have an issue.

I use the keycard that comes with the car. I keep it in my wallet and unlock the car by holding the wallet against the B pillar, then laying the wallet down on the center console to drive. Of course, I then have to remember to pick up my wallet when I get out, but as I have recurring bouts of CRS (can't remember nothing), it has been left lying there several times. Luckily, we live in crime free community, according to the local gendarmes.

Sorry if anyone's asked similar, but I've got an android phone and sometimes the car doesn't seem to unlock, I've got to start the app up. Is there a better solution, as I don't think it's deep sleeping the app.
I've had the same issue that seems to be worse after one of the recent updates, maybe starting 2 updates ago. Car is connected to the phone, will play music from it, but will not unlock or drive the car and I have to use the key card. I've done a double scroll wheel reset, didn't help, and I deleted the phone and reconnected it, then it works for a while but seems to stop after a few days. I don't drive the car daily so it may stop working after the car goes into sleep mode or something.

I've got the app on unrestricted, however there is some form of global battery optimisation I'm using, as my phone (s20+) has an appealing battery life. I can barely make it a day without dropping into single figures. I'll try turning that setting off and keep an eye on it.

I had the car forget the phone again and then set it back up as a phone key. It worked afterwards but then this morning it didn't. A bit later I opened up the app to see if the phone was listed as a key and it was. I then walked up to the car and it unlocked and locked on walk away as it should. Did it again a few minutes later after closing the app and it still worked. I think it might have something to do with the app needing to run in the background and not being active if the phone is turned off and the app isn't started up after turning the phone back on. I turn my phone off every night and don't normally start up the app before going out to the car. It didn't matter in the past but maybe an update to the app or the car changed the behavior.

I've had the same problem, hit an miss, since I got the car a year ago. It got better with some software releases (both car and phone app) but in the last few weeks it's returned with a vengeance (maybe since my latest software update to version 2022.12.3.20).

I find that sometimes even opening the app doesn't work. However, I've so far always been able to unlock the car by disabling Bluetooth and then re-enabling it with the app open.

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3
I had the car forget the phone again and then set it back up as a phone key. It worked afterwards but then this morning it didn't. A bit later I opened up the app to see if the phone was listed as a key and it was. I then walked up to the car and it unlocked and locked on walk away as it should. Did it again a few minutes later after closing the app and it still worked. I think it might have something to do with the app needing to run in the background and not being active if the phone is turned off and the app isn't started up after turning the phone back on. I turn my phone off every night and don't normally start up the app before going out to the car. It didn't matter in the past but maybe an update to the app or the car changed the behavior.
Could be, would explain why opening the app is enough. Wonder if an android update has affected how apps stay "active".

Could be, would explain why opening the app is enough. Wonder if an android update has affected how apps stay "active".

Not sure on range, Bluetooth has a decent amount, also I've got a smart watch and that's connected a few rooms away to my phone with no issues. Be interesting to see if iPhone users have an issue.
I was using an IPhone 8 since I got the car 1,5 years ago and let’s say 90% of the time was working fine with some occasional hiccups. I changed my phone about two months ago to IPhone 13 Mini and got some updates (currently running on 2022.12.3.2) and almost 90% of the time, the car will NOT unlock unless I take out the phone from my pocket. I always have the app running and the background activity is also active.
Occasionally I noticed that if I’m slow with pulling the door handler, the car will unlock eventually with a bit of delay so that the window is not lowering fast enough when I open the door.
Is hard to believe this is related to the phone but more so an update of the car software or the Tesla app. I got today Tesla app 4.9.2 on apple and they talk about minor fixes and improvements. I will revert here if that makes a noticeable difference in the next few days.

What I found to work is hold down the door handle when unlocking. Seems to wake up the car and force a connection to the phone. Not really scientific but seems to have solved my issue for those times when it would refuse to unlock unless I opened the app up.

I find that sometimes even opening the app doesn't work. However, I've so far always been able to unlock the car by disabling Bluetooth and then re-enabling it with the app open.

Opening the Tesla app and turning Bluetooth off & on are useful steps.
Also, disabling battery optimization for the app.

Another TMC thread gave a wild hypothesis that removing certain punctuation characters from the phone's Bluetooth name [like "Elon's phone"] and from Contact names [like "Caltrans Highway Information Network (CHIN)"] helps with this problem despite the fact that the phone-as-key Bluetooth Low Energy connection is separate from the paired Bluetooth audio/phone/SMS connection. It's difficult to test this hypothesis since the symptom is intermittent, but worth a try. Still, I didn't remove apostrophes from names like O'Malley, and it's easy for new such entries to get added in time.

I think the car needs time to wake up and broadcast it's status. The bluetooth unlock works soon after opening the app even if the vehicle status is still not yet showing in the app, at least for me. My suspicion is that vehicle status details are sent over wifi or cellular and bluetooth is only used for proximity features.

Reactions: Transformer
I think the car needs time to wake up and broadcast it's status. The bluetooth unlock works soon after opening the app even if the vehicle status is still not yet showing in the app, at least for me. My suspicion is that vehicle status details are sent over wifi or cellular and bluetooth is only used for proximity features.
Possibly. I've noticed the company I'm eoth (ee) used to have really good coverage, but seems to be getting worse.