Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car not always unlocking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was using an IPhone 8 since I got the car 1,5 years ago and let’s say 90% of the time was working fine with some occasional hiccups. I changed my phone about two months ago to IPhone 13 Mini and got some updates (currently running on 2022.12.3.2) and almost 90% of the time, the car will NOT unlock unless I take out the phone from my pocket. I always have the app running and the background activity is also active.
Occasionally I noticed that if I’m slow with pulling the door handler, the car will unlock eventually with a bit of delay so that the window is not lowering fast enough when I open the door.
Is hard to believe this is related to the phone but more so an update of the car software or the Tesla app. I got today Tesla app 4.9.2 on apple and they talk about minor fixes and improvements. I will revert here if that makes a noticeable difference in the next few days.
I also have an iPhone 13 Pro and have a similar experience although mine works about 70% of the time to unlock when i walk up to my M3. Today however I noticed it didn't lock when i walked away which is really concerning. The reverse is just an annoyance but leaving the car unlocked is bad. I hope this gets fixed soon.

I also have an iPhone 13 Pro and have a similar experience although mine works about 70% of the time to unlock when i walk up to my M3. Today however I noticed it didn't lock when i walked away which is really concerning. The reverse is just an annoyance but leaving the car unlocked is bad. I hope this gets fixed soon.
I experienced the car not locking quite some time ago, nothing recent and indeed, was concerning.
I noticed lately another aspect. The car will lock only when I’m quite far from it while few months ago, if I exit the car, close driver door and walk around the car to open passenger door, about half way the car lock itself. Maybe is the new phone or just… magic :)