Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car not going to sleep

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm at a loss why it won't go to sleep. Brand new 2020 Model S Performance, owned it for about a month now, and it just won't go to sleep - or so TeslaFi tells me. I've configured TeslaFi correctly (I think) to let it go to sleep (hence the messages that it doesn't go to sleep) - I have no other apps accessing the car other than Tesla's own app.

In the car settings, sentry mode is off. Under the autopilot options, the summon standby mode is off. What else am I missing?

Battery drain overnight is about 3-5%, which is annoying me to no end - but worse, all the computers running appear to be heating the cabin to 30C (the garage is 25C) - so wasting even more battery when I get in the car to cool it down.

Try turning teslafi off all together by removing the token. Do that for a night or two. Teslafi was not allowing my car to sleep. I spoke to a guy at SC off the record and he said that will happen and I needed to remove teslafi. I did and my car sleeps.

I'm at a loss why it won't go to sleep. Brand new 2020 Model S Performance, owned it for about a month now, and it just won't go to sleep - or so TeslaFi tells me. I've configured TeslaFi correctly (I think) to let it go to sleep (hence the messages that it doesn't go to sleep) - I have no other apps accessing the car other than Tesla's own app.

In the car settings, sentry mode is off. Under the autopilot options, the summon standby mode is off. What else am I missing?

Battery drain overnight is about 3-5%, which is annoying me to no end - but worse, all the computers running appear to be heating the cabin to 30C (the garage is 25C) - so wasting even more battery when I get in the car to cool it down.

Try turning teslafi off all together by removing the token. Do that for a night or two. Teslafi was not allowing my car to sleep. I spoke to a guy at SC off the record and he said that will happen and I needed to remove teslafi. I did and my car sleeps.

teslafi settings say you have to turn off cabin overheat protection otherwise it will cause the car to not sleep. Have you done that? Once I turned it off, the car will sleep

I removed the token from teslafi last night and I only lost 0.5km of range and inside temp matched outside temp this morning - so it did go to sleep. Cabin overheat protection is on however. Looks like TeslaFi is the culprit not letting it sleep. Now trying some other TeslaFi sleep settings like disabling polling overnight, see if that works.

There really should be an API point that says car's asleep - so third party apps can query that point only until it wakes up.

I removed the token from teslafi last night and I only lost 0.5km of range and inside temp matched outside temp this morning - so it did go to sleep. Cabin overheat protection is on however. Looks like TeslaFi is the culprit not letting it sleep. Now trying some other TeslaFi sleep settings like disabling polling overnight, see if that works.

There really should be an API point that says car's asleep - so third party apps can query that point only until it wakes up.

Yep I lose very little range since I disabled teslafi

its not teslafi enabled = battery drain. the issue is your teslafi isn't properly configured, I haven't driven my car in a week and i've lost 1-2% max with teslafi on. Everyday looks like this now, the car asleep from 12AM-12AM

8ibVeLV.png

have you tried turning off cabin overheat protection. It explicitly states in the settings that CABIN OVERHEAT PROTECTION MUST BE TURNED OFF for it to allow your car to sleep. If cabin overheat protection is a must then yeah, better to not use teslafi than to have it drain, for me it wasn't a big deal to disable it

Reactions: Country Roads
I've reactivated TeslaFi and for the sleep options only have the shift state activated. That seems to work and lets the car sleep. In the car, sentry mode is off (through home location exclusion but otherwise on), cabin overheat protection is off, and summon standby mode is off as well.

I wonder if they fixed that cabin overheat. I have mine on as well as sentry and as long as I don't wake it up my Tesla will go into deep sleep from 8PM until 8AM. Battery drain is zero! I just started using it on Monday. Still on trial period. If I wake it up it takes about 15 minutes to go back to sleep. So from 8AM to 8PM the car is consuming 0.4 - 1.27mi per hour loss. Over night zero.

my cabin overheat is off.....my sentry is off when I am at home......my summon is of.......I have had no drain in the past 67hrs.....have not woke the car with the app.....I am on 12.1.......still waiting for the 12.5.....want to see if the dash cam really works......I have a Pure Tesla 256gb formatted Fat32......it works in my new MacBook Pro but will not work on my iPhone 6 Plus or older iMac........so this will be great if I can see video in the car while in park.......much easier if there is ever an incident

I now have gone 74 hours with no interruptions........my total loss has been 6.1 miles.......that is 6.1/74 = 0.081 per hour loss....not too shabby....I can't complain about this......all of the conditions I have set above have given me confidence that if you set Teslafi up with correct settings, drain will go away

Last edited:
Hello, I’m new to the group today. I bought a Model S in March and started using Teslafi not long after. I set up Teslafi based on a number of online recommendations and the car never goes to sleep other than a Deep Sleep. It seems to be a moving target. I’ve turned the token off for a night, disabled the overheat setting. I only have the Tesla app on my iPhone. Nothing seems to help. Attached are my current sleep settings. I’ve been losing about 10 miles or so a night. Any help Is much appreciated.
TeslaFi Sleep Mode

Enabled: CHECKED

TeslaFi sleep mode works by pausing the polling of data from the vehicle for a specific amount of time to allow the car to go to sleep. A detailed description on how sleep modes work can be found here

If your car does not sleep with the settings above please read here for other steps to help your vehicle sleep.

Time To Try Sleeping: 20
Specify the amount of time TeslaFi will try to put your car to sleep for. If the car does not fall asleep during this time polling will start again. Not all sleep attempts will work so the default 15 mins is recommended to insure TeslaFi does not miss any activity.

Do not check the vehicle state during sleep attempt: CHECKED
When enabled TeslaFi will not check to see if the vehicle has gone to sleep during the time to try sleeping. This turns off all logging during the time to try sleeping.

Idle Time Before Trying To Sleep: 30
Specify the amount of time TeslaFi will wait until trying to put your car asleep after a drive. The recommended amount of time is 30 minutes to insure that TeslaFi does not stop polling data and attempt to put the car to sleep during short trips.

Enable Retry Idle Timer UNCHECKED : Time: 15
Enable and specify an idle time before trying to sleep to use after the initial sleep attempt fails. For example, after arriving at work the first sleep attempt will occur after 30 minutes of being idle. The next sleep attempts will occur every 15 minutes. This number must be lower than the idle time before trying to sleep.

Reset Idle Timer When Offline: UNCHECKED

Try To Sleep Requirements:
No Outside Temperature Reading: UNCHECKED
No Inside Temperature Reading: UNCHECKED
No Shift State Reading: UNCHECKED
Some firmware versions stop reporting inside or outside temperatures or the vehicles shift state before the car is ready to sleep. Enabling these options will wait for these readings to stop being reported before attempting to put the car to sleep. If your vehicle does not attempt to sleep at all during the day you may need to uncheck one or all of these options. You can view the reporting of these data points in Help->Raw Data Feed

Nighttime TeslaFi Sleep Mode

During the night you probably do not need TeslaFi to wait 30 minutes between sleep attempts or wait for the temperature readings to stop being reported before attempting to put the vehicle to sleep. Enable Scheduled Sleep Mode to ignore these things and constantly attempt to put the vehicle asleep during the times below.
Your vehicle must be parked in a tagged location with Nighttime TeslaFi Sleep Mode enabled for this feature to work.

Start Sleeping At: 10:00PM

End Sleeping At: 6:00AM

Do not check the vehicle state during Nighttime Sleep Mode: UNCHECKED
When enabled TeslaFi will not check to see if the vehicle has gone to sleep during the Nighttime Sleep Mode hours. This turns off all logging during the this time.

Deep Sleep Mode

This mode will disable logging during the times specified below. This is useful for overnight hours when you will not be driving or charging.
Your vehicle must be parked in a tagged location with Deep Sleep Mode enabled for this feature to work.

Start Sleeping At: 10:00PM

End Sleeping At: 6:00AM

Do not check the vehicle state during Deep Sleep Mode: UNCHECKED
When enabled TeslaFi will not check to see if the vehicle has gone to sleep during the Deep Sleep Mode hours. This turns off all logging during the this time.

Advanced

Polling Time While Idle: 1
Enter how often you would like TeslaFi to poll for data during idle sessions. A time of 1 minute will poll every minute. A time of 2 minutes will poll one time every two minutes, or every other minute. 1 minute is the default and recommended setting. Adjusting this number to more than one minute may result in missed data, scheduling issues and incorrect notifications.

Show offline as asleep: CHECKED
Some firmware versions may report the vehicle as offline when it may actually be asleep. When this option is enabled TeslaFi will indicate offline sessions as being asleep when the vehicle was in an idle session.

I don't think there is anything wrong with TeslaFi. My observation after not touching the car for 3 days. Sentry mode is obviously off, charging cable disconnected, summon standby off, etc. The car is a Tesla Model S 90D (2017) with MCU2 and FSD hardware 3.

I use OpenHAB (Home automation system) to check the status of the car using Tesla API and I record all data in the database. The car seems to switch between online and sleep mode and then extending the periods by 1 hour every day. Is this sort of a bug? Tesla has to explain. There is no point for the car to wake up regularly especially not between 9pm and 2am.

Attachments

• sleep.JPG
    sleep.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 137