Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car plugged in, but not being charged, making noise and heat??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spending my first night with my brand new MYLR, car is plugged but we had the departure time scheduled in 13 hours though, so it's not being charged at the moment.

However, I am noticing the car is making "woosh woosh" noises and it also seems to be blowing out warm air because I can feel the heat around the car. Is it totally normal? Is it prepping the battery, but the charge time is still at least 8 hours away though.

I'd highly appreciate any input and info.

It could be cooling the battery from earlier use or venting the cabin to dry out the AC coils.

It’s alive.

Thanks, but the car wasn't driven at all today. But my garage temp is indeed quite high, according to the app, the interior is at 79 degree and the exterior is at 78 degree. Is that why the car is trying to cool down the battery? By blowing the hot air out to the exterior, but with the car being inside a garage, wouldn't the heat be keeping the garage at higher temp? Because it's midnight here in MN, and my garage should be cool down by now. I am suspecting the car is keeping my garage warmer than usual with it being ALIVE 😧

Nope, no sentry mode, no prevent cabin overheat mode, nada. Then i found a youtube guy complaining about the same issues and he tracked it down to the some kinda pump running underneath the passenger side of the hood, for the 2023 Model Y.

And that got triggered by me simply turning on my garage light last night!! i tested it and confirmed it - it was all quiet when i first sneaked on it, i even turned off BT on my phone. It was all quiet until i turned in the light, it came awaken and started making the noise again and i opened up the frunk and confirmed the pump was running and i could even feel slight heat coming out from there!

So, now can anyone explain what is doing? And is that the notorious phantom drain??

Everything the Tesla does is for some reason. One could, of course, argue if it’s a good reason or not :)

I think it’s balancing the temps within the pack by circulating coolant.

Yes, all of this stuff is the phantom drain.

I love that our leaf has no drain. It’s always right where you left it. But the pack longevity has problems. Our teska is the opposite.

• Funny
Reactions: Pianewman
They should have a garage mode - becoz i am afraid it will fall into bad cycle in an enclosed garage, the car keeps trying to cool down the interior by running the fans which pumping out the hot air inside the garage keepng the garage temp high.

Well, i m a noob to Tesla, so i will embrace both the goodies and the badies from it 😉

This is a resourceful forum, glad to be on here 👍

Welcome! Congrats on your new car!

And that got triggered by me simply turning on my garage light last night!! i tested it and confirmed it - it was all quiet when i first sneaked on it, i even turned off BT on my phone. It was all quiet until i turned in the light, it came awaken and started making the noise again and i opened up the frunk and confirmed the pump was running and i could even feel slight heat coming out from there!

So, now can anyone explain what is doing? And is that the notorious phantom drain??
The car makes noises when left to its own devices. This is usually because it is moving heat around inside the car in order to (believe it or not) increase efficiency. I put a couple of layers of sound insulation on the hood of my frunk which helps dampen the HVAC noises.

If you want more details, here is a video that explains the Tesla heat pump system:

Here is a series of videos that explain the many features of the octovalve:

After a while most people get used to the strange and unexpected noises coming from their Tesla at odd times although these noises are often a cause of great concern when we first get the car. Very few of us fully understand why it makes these noises. I recommend sound insulation for the hood of the frunk and I hope you will also get used to these noises eventually.

Reactions: EnjoyDriving