Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car saved my @ss yesterday

Canefan456

Sep 26, 2020
Atlanta
Was making my way across 6 lanes of Atlanta morning traffic to get into the HOV lane as I do every morning. After a quick glance in the side view mirror and a look at the display to make sure the next lane was free I began moving over when an incredibly loud alert sounded and the car yanked me back into my lane as another vehicle sped by at a high rate of speed. I never saw him and it would 100% have been an accident and even though he was speeding I'm certain I would have been at fault. The corrective move by the car was very quick and decisive. I was not in AP at the time. I'm impressed.. and thankful.

Last edited:

Stealth.Pilot

Jan 22, 2013
South East USA
Was making my way across 6 lanes of Atlanta morning traffic to get into the HOV lane as I do every morning. After a quick glance in the side view mirror and a look at the display to make sure the next lane was free I began moving over when an incredibly loud alert sounded and the car yanked me back into my lane as another vehicle sped by at a high rate of speed. I never saw him and it would 100% have been an accident and even though he was speeding I'm certain I would have been at fault. The corrective move by the car was very quick and decisive. I was not in AP at the time. I'm impressed.. and thankful.
Great story. While I understand you weren't using the AP, I am wondering if the AP options affect what safety algorithms you have access to. Do you have FSD or just regular AP? Do you know if a non FSD car would have done this?

Canefan456

Sep 26, 2020
Atlanta
Great story. While I understand you weren't using the AP, I am wondering if the AP options affect what safety algorithms you have access to. Do you have FSD or just regular AP? Do you know if a non FSD car would have done this?
I do have FSD but am uncertain if that matters. My guess would be that it doesn't.

Stealth.Pilot

Jan 22, 2013
South East USA
I do have FSD but am uncertain if that matters. My guess would be that it doesn't.
That depends on how Tesla has delineated the functionality. I wish it was more transparent.

The Autopilot seems to have linear functionality - designed to actively keep you in your lane. The FSD is also incorporating lane changing functionality. The accident avoidance you experienced was related to a lane change - it shifted you back into lane. I am curious of active intervention in a lane change is only an FSD or EAP feature.

According to tesla the following are standard:

Standard Safety Features​

These active safety technologies, including collision avoidance and automatic emergency braking, have begun rolling out through over-the-air updates
    • Automatic Emergency Braking
      • Designed to detect objects that the car may impact and applies the brakes accordingly
    • Side Collision Warning
      • Warns the driver of potential collisions with obstacles alongside the car
    • Front Collision Warning
      • Helps warn of impending collisions with slower moving or stationary cars
    • Auto High Beams
      • Adjusts high/low beams as required

Last edited:
Reactions: 73Bruin

TMYB-C1

Supporting Member
Feb 15, 2021
USA
I blame my aggressive driving for this, but when I drive the number of times accident avoidance activates makes it sounds like I'm in a dog fight simulator and the enemy has a heat lock on my jet.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC