Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car shut down with 11% remaining

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But isn't the acceleration/power limit that kicks in at low SOC supposed to prevent this sort of thing from happening in the first place?
My last long run caused me to shut down exactly at 0 miles of range indicated on the IC, during the last 15 miles or so I was severely limited on power starting at about 200 kW available and gradually dropping below 100 kW.

If you're shutting down before the Energy meter even displays the yellow-dashed-line power limit, I would argue that it is a malfunction. Who knows if Tesla would agree or not, they'd probably charge you $250 and say your battery is fine.

But isn't the acceleration/power limit that kicks in at low SOC supposed to prevent this sort of thing from happening in the first place?
My last long run caused me to shut down exactly at 0 miles of range indicated on the IC, during the last 15 miles or so I was severely limited on power starting at about 200 kW available and gradually dropping below 100 kW.

If you're shutting down before the Energy meter even displays the yellow-dashed-line power limit, I would argue that it is a malfunction. Who knows if Tesla would agree or not, they'd probably charge you $250 and say your battery is fine.

I've driven for 15 miles past zero and still didn't shut down. It all depends on how accurate the bms's current estimate of range is. If the op's bms was overestimating how much charge was left, it might not have limited power to the appropriate level yet. Or he could have a bad block of cells.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I've driven for 15 miles past zero and still didn't shut down. It all depends on how accurate the bms's current estimate of range is. If the op's bms was overestimating how much charge was left, it might not have limited power to the appropriate level yet. Or he could have a bad block of cells.
wow you are gutsy to try this. I havent even went to zero and just dont plan on it