Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Suddenly Shut Down at Stop Light

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So last night, coming home from dinner, when I got in the car, I noticed the screen looked odd. The left hand panel was white (it was night time), but the graphics were also white, so you couldn't really see them. Some weird lines intermittent along the bottom display as well. Car was still operating fine, and we were in a hurry to get home, so thought I would just restart when we get home. As I am driving, right before getting on the interstate - hit a red light, and pressed brake long enough to hold, and the car just goes dark. Pretty unnerving, I start to panic a little as the light turns green (fortunately there wasn't much traffic around, but is normally a fairly busy road) - I immediately hit both buttons on steering wheel, but get no response. I started to scramble for my phone at this point, and finally the computer starts to boot back up. maybe 3-4 minutes, but felt much longer.

Once the car re-booted, everything was back to 100% normal. I'm on 2019.8.2.

Has anyone ever had the car suddenly shut down like this before? Love my model 3, like really love it - I have had absolutely no problems with it, other than 2 small cosmetic issues that were fixed in a day at the service center.

Reactions: Sg911
...Has anyone ever had the car suddenly shut down like this before?...

I didn't have a Tesla car shutdown since 2012 but it's not unheard of screen shut downed and rebooted by itself--maybe less than 5 for the last 7 years an over 130,000 miles combined for 3 cars.

During a screen shutdown and reboot, the propulsion was not affected for me.

Your Tesla is a computer so it can reboot itself when it can't compute.

I wouldn't worry about it if it's infrequent and if it doesn't affect propulsion.

This happened to my wife the other day when she took my S out. She was in a drive thru, stopped in line when all of a sudden everything shut down. The self presenting door handles kept presenting and retracting a couple of times. Eventually the screen came back up (maybe a min or so, hard to tell as I wasn't there so only going by what she told me). Once the screens came up she was able to move but again can't say for sure if she was able to move the car during the reboot. Car is manufactured 7/18. I took delivery end of 12/18 and car currently has 6,500 miles.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
My M3 screen fails to black occasionally, maybe 3-4 weeks. The driving is unaffected but it is a bit disturbing. It has never happened while I was using Autodrive so don't know it that would work? Two button button reboot gets everything back, even the nav-system and music just pick up where they were.

It is great that the power and control systems is protected and don't shut down. But the system that controls the screen should be fixed! The distraction caused by this failure will eventually cause and accident!

BE12FD16-DCE5-4AC5-B339-090689C7D90F.png
So last night, coming home from dinner, when I got in the car, I noticed the screen looked odd. The left hand panel was white (it was night time), but the graphics were also white, so you couldn't really see them. Some weird lines intermittent along the bottom display as well. Car was still operating fine, and we were in a hurry to get home, so thought I would just restart when we get home. As I am driving, right before getting on the interstate - hit a red light, and pressed brake long enough to hold, and the car just goes dark. Pretty unnerving, I start to panic a little as the light turns green (fortunately there wasn't much traffic around, but is normally a fairly busy road) - I immediately hit both buttons on steering wheel, but get no response. I started to scramble for my phone at this point, and finally the computer starts to boot back up. maybe 3-4 minutes, but felt much longer.

Has anyone ever had the car suddenly shut down like this before? Love my model 3, like really love it - I have had absolutely no problems with it, other than 2 small cosmetic issues that were fixed in a day at the service center.
On Sunday the same thing happened to me . I was at a red light, screen made a loud brrr crashed went dark then finally rebooted.. it still had propulsion to move out of the lane till I could get it back on. I tried sending a bug report but my LTE was out for a few minutes then I finally sent 1. I detailed what happens thru the Tesla portal chat... and this their reply lol. Didn’t seem to read my concerns?!

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333
2019.8.4 is supposed to fix this. We'll see.

Was your car still drivable?... In my experience, the car itself doesn't shut down when this happens and will continue to function as a car. (without a speedometer)
Yes, mine was but since there is only 1 screen with 98% of the functions ...it’s eery when it first happens whilst driving . Mine made this loud brrr crash sound like an old windows computer

I'm on 2019.8.3 and this happened this past Sunday. Right as I was exiting the freeway, the screen went all matrixy and distorted. About a second later, it just completely went black. Luckily I was able to keep driving and it just restarted on its own.

Reactions: Sg911

Did the car actually shut down or did the screen go black? We've had the screen go black on our Model S a few times in the past but not recently I don't think. Confused computer system I guess, which sounds like you noticed when you got in the car. Wouldn't suggest driving off without resetting next time.

BTW the first thing you might have thought about doing if it in fact did shut off on you would be to hit that Hazaard button near the rear view mirror while you sat at the light trying to reboot. At least cars around you will be aware something is going on with your car and hopefully not hit you if you can't move. One of the only buttons we have in the car!

Last edited:
My M3 screen fails to black occasionally, maybe 3-4 weeks. The driving is unaffected but it is a bit disturbing. It has never happened while I was using Autodrive so don't know it that would work? Two button button reboot gets everything back, even the nav-system and music just pick up where they were.

It is great that the power and control systems is protected and don't shut down. But the system that controls the screen should be fixed! The distraction caused by this failure will eventually cause and accident!
I've had it happen with AP active and AP continues to work... though when you lose any sense of it's intentions / perception it can make you a bit nervous.

Not an uncommon occurrence, unfortunately. I've seen this on both our Model 3 and our Model X. Fortunately it does not impact drive functions. The only thing you may notice is that your blinker signals will no longer be audible, and you will of loose visibility of your drive state, including speed and other indicators. This is a problem that generally will resolve itself.

Sometimes there is a partial failure with only specific subsystems failing (like microphone, and audio output) - these sorts of failures generally clear up with a reset or shutdown.

A much more severe problem occurred to me this week, and that was a failure of the auto-steer system while driving (why you must always keep your hands on the wheel at all times.)

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and Sg911
I've also had my screen shut down while driving, but the car ran fine for the period the the screen was rebooting. I agree it's a bit unnerving, but since I could still drive the car, I resisted freaking out and just waited the 30 seconds or so it took to come back on line (seems like a lot longer when you're anxiously awaiting it to come back on line).

Reactions: dhrivnak

The car was likely still drivable even with the screen dark. Annoying but still functional.