Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car warns that front truck is open but it is actually closed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a hot day and parked in bright sunlight my black 70D tells me the frunk is open.
After driving about 2 miles the warning goes away likely because the frunk has cooled down.
I am having an annual service done in August and have already told them about the problem.
They said they never encountered this before.
Just curious if others have had this problem.

Have they downloaded and examined yer logs? You can call ownership and ask them to do that if they haven't already. The logs typically get sent to your SvC for review. Sounds like an extra-sensitive sensor - the question being whether it shows up in the logs or not may tend to govern whether they replace it sooner rather than later.

My car doesn't have the auto-close feature that I understand the newer ones do. I keep forgetting to pay attention whenever I'm at a showroom.

Yes. It's happened about a dozen times for me, but it goes away almost immediately. The most frustrating part is that it will disable the cruise/autopilot without any warning. I haven't noticed that it correlates to heat, but anything is possible. I called my service center and asked them to pull the logs.

I wonder if they're just testing my reflexes? ;)

Service center found the problem.
From the PDF invoice emailed to me:

Concern: Customer states: about 4x- when it is really hot out a warning will appear that the front trunk is open ( but trunk is not open)

Corrections: Vehicle Alerts General Diagnosis

Confirmed customer concern of front hood latch "open" alert being present when the hood is not open. Applied heat with heat gun to the front hood latch assembly and alert appeared after 20-40 seconds. Hood latch assembly will need to be replaced.

Corrections: Latch - Hood (Dual Motor)

Removed and replaced front hood latch assembly. Confirmed repair by opening/closing hood several times.

Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity

HOOD LATCH (1033011-00-B) 1