Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Wash Recommendation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was hesitant to take my new Tesla (blue metallic paint) to a car wash, but finally broke down after a few months of hand washing. The manager ensured me that their automated wash wouldn't scratch the finish, and that they use clean dry-rags on each car. I'm sure you can guess the outcome; numerous locations with swirls of very-small scratches! My guess is that it was from the drying rags, and that they weren't 100% clean after they wash them...just classic...

The problem with hand-washing isn't really the washing part; it is the drying part. If you don't dry it, you'll end up with water spots from dissolved solids in the tap-water. Drying with a chamois cloth is the preferred method; excellent results may be achieved, but it is a bit tedious and time consuming, and even leaves tiny pieces of the chamois that then need to be wiped off.

So, I recently performed a research experiment whereby I washed the car in a complete downpour. I still used my hose to wash off the soap, expecting the distilled rainwater to wash off the "contaminated" house water...and guess what? NEAR PERFECT RESULTS! I've done it twice now, and couldn't be happier. Yes, my wife, kids, and even a few neighbors who witnessed it thought I completely lost my marbles, but I think I've actually found the holy grail here!

Give it a shot and let me know how it goes!

So I think that your hypothesis is that automated washes are safe. It's the folks drying the car that can be the problem. So where is this so different from hand washing?????

Towels used by most carwashes aren't microfiber and may have residue on them, causing abrasions. Also most car wash attendants use circular motions in drying. This can create swirls. Drying by swiping across the panels avoids this. Even better, wrapping and/or applying ceramic hardener protects the finish and makes it much easier to wash and dry, as the dirt just easily brushes off. There are many threads on this topic..

Most important: Don't let your car be washed at a Tesla Service Center. You may have extra microfine scratches on the surface at most locations. Check with other owners who have allowed their vehicles to be washed and examine their paint finish in the sun.

So I think that your hypothesis is that automated washes are safe. It's the folks drying the car that can be the problem. So where is this so different from hand washing?????

No, that was definitely not my hypothesis. My hypothesis was that washing in the rain might keep me from having spend time/effort drying to get a spot-free car, and I think I proved it correct.

That rain water has to dry at some point... and rain water will be full of "stuff" it picks up on the way down, which means spots. Unless you dry it, well.. now you are back to that.

My new wash method is a hybrid:
a) rinse with power washer thoroughly
b) foam cannon. If car was "dirty", I will rinse and foam cannon a second time
c) I use 2 microfiber wash mits that are soaked with soapy water, I gently wash, flipping the mits after a section
d) I rinse the mits in the sink after they have been used on both sides, then re-soap, this is better than 2-bucket, I never put the mits back into water that has been soiled
e) rinse thoroughly with power washer
f) final rinse with water from filtration system... removes almost all minerals in car
g) blow dry (leaf blower) heavy water and tough areas and dry with waffle weave microfiber
h) final wipe with fluffy microfiber, get all crevaces, etc.

I can count the scratches on my car after 1.5 years, and only in the brightest sunlight.

That rain water has to dry at some point... and rain water will be full of "stuff" it picks up on the way down, which means spots. Unless you dry it, well.. now you are back to that.

I don't think you read my complete post. I DID let the rain dry, and it DID result in a SPOTLESS shine! Of course, if you live in an area with substantial atmospheric contaminants (perhaps Gary, Indiana?) that you may have a different result. For reference, I completed my "scientific experiment" in a suburb of NJ.

I used an automated car wash today (soft touch). I figured that with my silver car even if it did swirl I wouldn't be able to see it. Swirls don't exist if I don't look for them. That's my philosophy.

I would do car washes if it weren’t for black. Not going to lie I’m a little jealous you can do that. The convenience is just too nice.